Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)

bernz84

O.G.
Aug 31, 2006
Has anyone ever gone through the certification process? I'm considering doing it, but I'm not sure how to go around it. It seems as if a lot of the courses offer a package deal (meaning, you take TEFL courses while you are teaching abroad), but I know I can't afford doing that at the moment. I've found a bunch of websites that offer TEFL online, but I'm not sure how legit they are. As for researching college campuses in my area, the only courses I can find locally are TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language), but I'm not interested in that. Argh. If anyone can offer advice, I'd greatly appreciate it! :biggrin:

I have not done this but have looked at it. I believe the most widely recognized programs are CELTA and Trinity TESOL. I've also read that employers look for classroom time, not just an online course, which makes sense. If you can get experience locally through a TESL class on top of the certification, I don't see why you wouldn't.

^^^You think that TESL will work? Hmm...I think I'll call up my local college tomorrow. I wish I thought of this while I was in graduate school; apparently there was a TEFL program via university extension I could've taken advantage of! :sad:

I don't think it will be regarded the same as the internationally recognized certifications, just that the training will give you an advantage. If your local college has many foreign students or offers ESL classes, then you probably will have a lot of opportunity to gain classroom experience. Where are you thinking of teaching English?

Has anyone ever gone through the certification process? I'm considering doing it, but I'm not sure how to go around it. It seems as if a lot of the courses offer a package deal (meaning, you take TEFL courses while you are teaching abroad), but I know I can't afford doing that at the moment. I've found a bunch of websites that offer TEFL online, but I'm not sure how legit they are. As for researching college campuses in my area, the only courses I can find locally are TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language), but I'm not interested in that. Argh. If anyone can offer advice, I'd greatly appreciate it! :biggrin:

My mother-in-law did a Spanish/English TEFL, basically a six week program in Spain where she received certification to teach English as a second language to Spanish children. She had to pay a certain amount, plus buy her own food. I believe they provided lodging.

I'll be meeting her tomorrow and can get more details from her if you like.