Teaching an impromtu class about Coach!

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
Yesterday I was at the Savers Thrift Store and they had loads and loads of vintage bags at low prices! I've never seen so many great vintage bags in one place. Mostly Coach, but they had some other brands as well. I purchased my first D&B bag, I am pretty sure that it is genuine but I will be taking photos and asking for authentication of all the bags just to be sure.

There were so many terrific bags that I filled up an overflowing cart and dragged it over to the furniture section, sat down on a sofa, put all the bags on a big coffee table and examined them one-by-one while trying to make my decisions.

It was hard to pick because I wanted most of them! The Coach bags that I finally bought were a black Court bag, a green bucket bag, a green flap bag, and a woven herringbone tweed bag trimmed with lamb nappa. I also got the D&B cream/tan crossbody satchel along with a little D&B coin purse - and it all cost a total of only $50!

I shouldn't have done it because I already had a few rehab projects piled up at home waiting for me to work on them. So this is it, I am not going near a thrift store for a long time - and I eventually have to figure out what to do with all these rehabbed vintage bags! I enjoy wearing them occasionally but I have way too many just for me (but I keep buying them!)

Anyway, while I was sitting on the sofa in the thrift store trying to pick out bags, two different women came up and said "Are you buying this bag?" and they had their hands on my large emb. putty Sofia! After it happened the second time I covered her up with my sweater to keep her out of sight!

Next a woman came over with two atrocious fakes (a phony Carly and a fake sig swingpack) and asked me if they were “genuine Coach bags?” I told her "No, they are fakes." She wanted to know how I knew and before I knew it she was sitting next to me on the sofa in the furniture department learning how to differentiate genuine and fake Coach bags. A woman walking by overheard us and brought over a fake patchwork mosaic carryall (or tote) and joined the lesson! During the discussion I uncovered my Sophia to use as a demonstration and the second woman immediately said “Oh! Now I see the difference!”

So I guess I’m a new kind of missionary, doing the good work of instructing woman how to spot fake Coach bags whenever and wherever the opportunity presents itself. Of course, I don't have anything near the expertise of our great authenticators but it was fun!

Anyway, while I was sitting on the sofa in the thrift store trying to pick out bags, two different women came up and said "Are you buying this bag?" and they had their hands on my large emb. putty Sofia! After it happened the second time I covered her up with my sweater to keep her out of sight!

OMG were those women actually holding up your personal purse? Your Sofia asking if you were buying it? I would think it would be heavy with all your stuff in it and they would notice that it wasn't for sale. Nice lesson tho. I teach one of the girls I work with about real and fake coaches. A customer will walk by with a coach purse and she will look at me and I will tell her if its fake or not. Its kinda funny sometimes how excited she gets when she sees a bag and guesses that its real. Some of those fakes are awful. I don't understand why someone would pay $40+ for a fake when with ebay and all these wonderful sites that they could get a real one for about the same price.

When you post pictures I wanna see them too! I bought a vintage coach bag from a thrift store for $2 and i am gonna fix it up. I know nothing of how to do it so it shall be a work in progress.

Congrats on your great finds!

I will post pics of my new (old) bags as soon as I can.

The ladies that wanted to buy my sophia only laid their hands on her, they didn't lift her up, but that was enough for me - so I stashed her out of harms way!

... Nice lesson tho. I teach one of the girls I work with about real and fake coaches. A customer will walk by with a coach purse and she will look at me and I will tell her if its fake or not. Its kinda funny sometimes how excited she gets when she sees a bag and guesses that its real. Some of those fakes are awful. I don't understand why someone would pay $40+ for a fake when with ebay and all these wonderful sites that they could get a real one for about the same price...

Good work! We all do what we can to spread the word! I used to think that designer bags were much too expensive for someone like me. Now I know that if you watch for sales and go to the outlet, you can have a beautiful bag (that will last a long time) and get it at a reasonable price. And it actually works out cheaper than buying fakes or low priced bags that look tacky and fall apart in no time!

And even if you cannot afford a new designer bag on sale, there are loads of beautiful, great-quality vintage bags sitting out there and just waiting for a little TLC!

I don't know how you find all these great older Coach bags!! all the thrift stores/goodwills that I have checked out down here in Houston usually have absolutely nothing! I would love to find even one vintage Coach!

that's a great story! you are just too sweet. I love all your posts, thanks for sharing all these good stories with us! Congrats on the great finds and I know if I kept coming across that many, I'd keep buying them all too!

What fun that must have been, both for the bags and the class ... can't wait to see pics of your new finds ... btw Dooney is my second love, after Coach, can't wait to see those, too.