Teachers--question

I'm a teacher and I use my North Face backpack if I'm riding my bike to school. Otherwise, I have a gray tote with a cute kitty on it that holds everything. I usually just carry the backpack or tote as well as my purse for the day. Though the Botkier Bombay tote looks gorgeous!

I had a law teacher who dressed inappropriately like this, jackets often longer than her skirts and she drove a sports car. She ended up retiring after blinding herself taking her false eyelashes off with her false nails.

:wtf: serious?! That's hilarious yet so disturbing, of course i'm assuming 'jacket' means really short.

Another teacher carried a birkin! A real life birkin! I hated her actually, and I thought it was just... well it just wasn't appropriate. She also wore glasses that had giant 'dior' monograms on the side. I just think there's a time and place for everything you know? And birkins and dior just aren't for the classroom.

Why not? Is it inappropriate for a student to carry a Chanel, Gucci, LV, or other high end designer bag to class? This seems a bit harsh....I'm assuming this was a college professor, and if so, she has every right to carry a high-end designer bag, even the highest of them all, if she chooses. Professors have worked long and hard to get where they are, and dag nabit, they should carry whatever they please. They've earned that! So, should I remove my Dior sunglasses before walking into class today?

Sorry, I guess I'm taking this a bit personal, as it's just not fair to judge your professors on their handbag and glasses...they should be judged on the quality of their teaching.

Now, if this was a elementary school teacher, I'd be concerned....only because I wouldn't let that bag get near kids with paint and glue and who knows what else on their hands! :P

Okay gals, my friend is a first grade teacher and she is teaching because she loves teaching...though she is filthy rich....she has the nicest car on the lot and wears designer everything. I don't think there is a reason for her to dress down or have a different wardrobe just to "fit in".

I'm a teacher and I just got a Marc by Marc Jabobs Quinn bag to hold my files. It's just big enough. In the past I've used my herve or longchamp, both which worked fine.

And here in NYC almost all the teachers I'm friends with carry nice bags and wear expensive clothes to work. I hope nobody would hold that against us!

Another teacher carried a birkin! A real life birkin! I hated her actually, and I thought it was just... well it just wasn't appropriate. She also wore glasses that had giant 'dior' monograms on the side. I just think there's a time and place for everything you know? And birkins and dior just aren't for the classroom.

Why not? As long as she is professional I don't see anything wrong with having and using luxury items.

I say, all power to her! Good for her! Why not? She can wear what she wants. She earned it. As long as she is not dressed inappropriately, (ie, not professionally) she can do as she likes. Just because I'm a teacher, does this mean I have to dress like a frump? I think not.

I'm in my 31st year of teaching and I vary my carry bags-everything from Longchamp and Coach, to Hayden Harnett and Frye totes. They all hold my laptop and tons of papers that I correct each day. You've got to have a strong bag to do "teacher" duty!:rolleyes:

Lol you have to understand, I wouldn't mind if she could set the birkin for even a minute, but she can't. She clutches onto it when she's lecturing and she talks about it A LOT, that's actually how I knew it was a birkin because i'm not familiar with Hermes at all. She's all like 'birkin this, birkin that', 'I have more at home' 'I should change colours, do you think I should change colours?', and I just want her to get back to talking about the topic.

I have a Coach Multifunction Tote, and it's great. However, I stopped carrying it after the first day because my textbooks were so heavy, I worried about it getting out-of-shape. Also, because it's so big, I was accidentally banging into people and doorframes. So, now I'm using a tote I bought at the Gap for school. On days I know I'm going to the library, I'll take my big backpack with wheels. :tup: