Teachers (New & Experienced) Information Thread!

^ thank you, hamstahon :smile:

definitely 1 day at a time is something i have to try. i think i'm too accustomed to having a syllabus from a professor to follow and *knowing* what's to come. now that i'm the one doing the planning, i'm having more trouble than i thought! (even though i've done it before for teaching during college-figures!) once the year kicks in, i know that having photocopies made and letting the students know about tests/quizzes ahead of time will still allow me to go day by day and spent time crafting each lesson just how i want it, even if it is a few days before. the overall scheme-planning will come after i know what the heck i'm doing- basically, i hope that once i've started, it'll be easier to see the big picture.

the school district i'm teaching in has block scheduling in the high school, so the students have 80 minute classes and 2 semesters during the school year, similar to college. it's different than how i went through high school, so i know that's part of my anxiety as well- knowing how to plan for 80 min and when the cutoff dates are for the marking periods, when tests should be, etc.

ahh ... i should stop complaining, really. i am still just grateful to have a job, haha.

thanks everyone for the support and kindness! :smile:

Be firm. Don't worry about trying to be their friend. Your competence in the classroom will win over those who care. Take a deep breath and just take it one day at a time. Over plan. Plan for teaching degree seeking college students. Be consistent. Smile.

I'm in my 2nd year in the classroom & for most of the 1st semester of my first year, I contemplated just quitting. we have block scheduling too, students meet 3x/week on rotation for 55-70min. Best thing to do is plan for 80 minutes and plan for extra...sometimes what you think is fantastic falls flat & you need to switch gears

There were days that were good & lessons that were better than expected, but it was sooo much stress and planning and then changing plans on my toes becuase I needed to reteach or introduce another skill/topic/vocabulary. Ugh.

I will say that this year is much MUCH better than last year. I hated my 1st year. I liked most of the students, but my teaching & stress level? bad bad bad. I'm glad I stuck it out though.

Here's a link to another AtoZ for teachers where you can pick up some tips.

Last edited:
Be firm. Don't worry about trying to be their friend. Your competence in the classroom will win over those who care. Take a deep breath and just take it one day at a time. Over plan. Plan for teaching degree seeking college students. Be consistent. Smile.

Oh yeah. I'm in high school right now and my current math teacher tries to act like us in a lot of ways, but I'm just like :nogood:.

Don't worry, you'll do great! I'm taking my fourth year of Spanish right now and it's really fun. It should be fun to teach too! :smile:

I'm 23 - and am a covering Spanish teacher. I got my certification in my undergrad (double major adolescent ed and spanish w/ NYS certification) I covered my mentor last year when she had surgery (from March to June), and am covering her again for the month of september, same kids. I teach Spanish 2 and 3. Last year I taught 1 and 2 to all repeaters. Both high school. I love it. I became really close to alot of my kids - it got to the point where I had to lock my door during my lunch to get some alone time. There's a fine line between a friend and an authority figure - but you figure this out during your first year. I found the balance after my second session of student teaching. I go in for Tuesday for super day, and Wednesday the kids come in. I'm psyched to be teaching regents level this year! :yahoo:

Just re-read your post. Did you do student teaching? As part of my cert. I had to student teach 10 weeks (8 weeks of full time teaching under observation) in a high needs (poor area) district junior high, and 10 weeks in a low needs district (better funded) high school. Then I got thrown into the fire when during my 3rd week of my 2nd placement in the high school my cooperating teacher (mentor) herniated her intestine while in school :wtf:. She was taken out via strecher - and had emergency surgery. Her recovery was 3-5 months - so I finished the last 6 weeks of my student teaching as their full time teacher with different subs/security guards watching me (under NYS law you can't be alone with the kids without your certification). I made my own plans and my own materials (I'm a fluent spanish speaker - so I made my own worksheets/readings/spanish vocab crossword puzzles, etc) - speaking of crossword puzzles - edhelper.com is a GODSEND for cool vocab puzzles and word searches - it's worth very penny (I think $20.00 for a year - and most admins will pay for it). Anyway, I took over as their full time teacher, but under supervision and still NO PAY because I was still technically a "student teacher" without my cert. As of May 20th I was granted my certification and graduated with my BA. That was a Sunday. On May 21st, that Monday, I continued my teaching, but began getting paid teacher's salary. It was really a baptism by fire. It was an EXCELLENT experience and I really bonded with my kids. Now, that same teacher is having her hip replaced - so needs me to cover for September - which works perfectly being I'm getting married October 5th. I'm teaching the next level up - so I'll have my same kids from last year (mostly sophmores and juniors now). There will always be good apples and bad apples, but the best advice I can give is to find a good quality in every student - even the rotten ones. Kids can sense when you don't like them, and they give up. In September of 09 my former mentor becomes chair, and has guaranteed me a full time position teaching Spanish 2. I've been really lucky in an unlucky way, lol. :lol:

Oh - and I look very young. Teachers mistake me for a student all the time - which is why I wear my badge 24/7. Kids who aren't my students often hit on me. My students try that BS sometimes - but I can be quite aggresive and I know how to embarass ;) There are always good and bad days. If I hear a student talking about my ass, I kick him out - and that's the end of that :lol: One day at a time - you live, you learn

Me:
Photo11.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo134.jpg

Basically I was in the same boat as you two years ago... no experience, "look young," overwhelmed... that was totally me! I am going on my third year and still nervous as anything about the first day. I hope my students are as good as they were last year! My first year was difficult... it's just a learning experience and everyone has to get through it. Luckily it does get easier each year, and I've heard it from many. Don't worry, you'll survive... I worked in an inner-city school my first year. I was pretty much sick to my stomach every night and day. However, I survived the year, I just stuck with it. I moved to another district and am very happy with the school and I loved my students.

PM me if you want! :smile: By the way, I agree it is rude to tell you that you look like a student, but it's a compliment at the same time... it's good to look young, as long as you dress professionally! :smile:

I did my first 10 weeks of student teaching in an inner city and it lasted an eternity. Many days I cried - my kids were 75% dirt poor - I'd bring food to class and they'd take it home, and I knew it was dinner. It was 80% minority - and I was a light skinned, 100 lb, 21 year old. These kids didn't need Spanish class - they needed food, heat, shelter. I felt helpless and like my job was meaningless. I could never do it again. The things these kids confided in me broke my heart. Ex: 1 case of child molestation in a 12 year old. She was absolutely nuts. The father was convicted and is now in jail. Growing up monetarily privaledged, it changed my perspective on life. I'd have panic attacks in my sleep - and I still have generalized anxiety from it. :tdown:

Ah and I'm posting for like the billionth time

Buy cartoon DVD's for your off days when you just can't take them anymore, lol. On Fridays, I'd put on Spongebob in Spanish :lol: with subtitles. I have the whole second season on DVD - so it goes a long way. I'd make them popcorn and everything :lol: - and just go on the computer or read and just chill.

I'm in year 11. I've had some rough ones, but just take it day by day. The beginning of school is always rough, especially in a new school. September may still be rocky, but by October you'll have gotten used to the flow of things. Just keep in mind that you're not alone. Even veteran teachers walk down the hall at the end of some days and feel like pulling their hair out! Just learn how to laugh. At anything. Even if you have to make up a reason. I often do that. My co-workers may think I'm a little goofy sometimes, but I usually get a smile out of them and it's more appreciated than being around someone who gripes all the time.

Just keep in mind that you're not alone. Even veteran teachers walk down the hall at the end of some days and feel like pulling their hair out!

How true - especially during those using acrylic paint days! Teaching a bunch of 6 year olds how to use a paintbrush means all hell breaks loose during art period!

You don't really want advice but I will have to say be FLEXIBLE! Don't stick with your lesson plan if it's not going over too well. Adapt and modify on the spot when necessary - once you're further into the year, it'll come more naturally.

I teach a 101 course at university. This is my second year teaching it, and I was still nervous walking into my class on Wednesday. It's scary speaking in front of so many people, and having all of those faces looking at you. The thing I keep in mind is that I'm the one that knows this material, it's my job to teach it to them. Plus, as college freshman (for the most part), they're completely overwhelmed and scared at starting college, being away from home, etc.

One thing that I like is that my students from last year still stay in touch with me-either coming up to me in the hallways to say hi or writing me emails. I also think it's neat at how many chose to go on to the 200 level of our department-including one girl who told me at the beginning of last year that the only reason she was taking Russian 101 was because every other language was full! Now she's in Russian 201!

I look young too, most people think I'm an undergrad, it's just the way it goes. Good for a laugh.

Thanks everyone for your input. It does sound like after the first year, it gets better. I have to be fully prepared to be stressed out this year, then? haha. I know fun will come with it as well. Once I have a routine established with making lesson plans and what materials I'm using, I will feel more comfortable (knowing my personality). I'm used to knowing what to expect- like going back to college each year at this time, knowing the routine. This is a new routine with a whole new group of people- colleagues and students to which I am not yet accustomed. It's scary as heck (and SOOO exciting!!!!!! lol). I remind myself that I am blessed to have a job, since lots of my friends are still searching. Sometimes, I also feel really scared and like I'm too young to be teaching, I still feel like a kid! But I'm NOT. It's a very strange time in one's life, 22! I feel in my heart that once the school year begins, I'm going to morph into the teacher I've always wanted to be, and it will come naturally :smile: I

Here is my list of things I need to rant about to get them off my chest, because if I write another list on a post-it note, I'm done:

*learning the school procedures, the block schedule, when their marking periods are, how to do grades online on their g*d forsaken confusing as anything grading system, making sure I can use the copier when I go to it, knowing that my overhead projector will actually work, knowing that eventually my overhead screen WILL stay down after it's fixed, lol, eventually getting the materials the school "promised" to new teachers (stapler, paper, pencils, anyone?? I've already spent WELL over $200 on supplies alone, not to mention all of the $$ it costs for certifications, new teacher paperwork/money orders, mentor cost, new clothes so that I'm "professional" even though there's no way I can be professional at 22 according to my mentor, ugh), working with an in-class support teacher who doesn't know Spanish, dealing with a mentor who teaching according to traditional SLA methods while I teach modern SLA, broken desks, not yet being familiar with the curriculum and resources that I have, knowing that I can show PP presentations on the tv from the computer (yayy!! :smile:) except I'm fearful that the wires are broken/do not reach the plug (the teacher there before me never used the tv screen), not having the right materials I need to make my classroom function, not knowing what level these kids will be at and going too fast for some/too slow for others, them not wanting to do TPR & act silly, turning in lesson plans in the proper amount of time to my Supervisor when I'm clearly up each night before figuring out what I'm doing and makign copies at 6am at school, lol, parents emailing me, and the #1 fear- my mentor, who calls me her "protege," that she's made every mentor-ee cry that she's had, she wants to leave her legacy behind with me, curses like a sailor, and says I'm too "Polyanna" to know how to manage kids. Oh, and that "all of these kids are idiots, they don't know sh*t" - critiquing everything and everything I say I want to do, the methods I believe in, doesn't know what Becker's (the teacher store in town) is nor FLENJ (the Foreign Lang. organization for teachers in my STATE), but somehow believing that I WILL get through the first year, even with her, and eventually become the teacher I want to be, and a good one, too ....

k! I'm done! BREATHE!!!!!! :smile: Thanks for letting me vent!

LivinLuxuriously- umm you are amazing, lol. I cry even when I WATCH the Teach For America videos with students who lack basic life necessities- I can't even IMAGINE thinking I would go in and teach them Spanish when they are lacking love, food and shelter. Kudos to you for all of your hard work & passion. For your question about Student Teaching, here is my story:

I graduated in May, too, with a B.A. double major in English and in Spanish. I'm certified (NJ Certif. of Eligibility) to teach both, and am doing the Alternate Route (so I still took the Praxis for both, the OPI, have degrees in my content area(s), Methods of Teaching course, etc). My first year of teaching, I have to attend a once-a-week night course at my community college for the Alternate Route and will get my Standard License :smile: So, no, I haven't student taught, which is part of my worry, I think. I did this route so that I could teach both subjects (I love them both, but have always wanted to teach, so this way, I can do either but still graduated in 4 yrs). It's just where my path has lead me while I'm figured life out as I go along :smile: I DID, however, teach something called "Conversation Hour" at my college for 3 years for Spanish 102- a few classes hourly classes, 1x a week, that was a co-requisite for students' normal Spanish 101,102, & 103 classes, where I facilitated conversation, basically, with activities I made up (all in Spanish, of course!).

Really - I'll let you all know how it goes after the first few days, few weeks, and when I finally feel like I have my life back again, lol. :smile: Good luck to everyone else with school starting, too!!!!!!!

Last thing - everyone is telling me to read Harry Wong's The First Days of School. I am so excited bc I found our the new teachers in my district are getting this book in our mailboxes soon!!! But not in time for the first day! lol. hmmm. ;)

Hi I'm a teacher too. I've only taught for 2 years and of course I still get pretty nervous in the classroom. I must always have my lesson planned and have a backup plan as well, because you never know what's gonna happen.
In the past too years the materials I've gathered are inummerable! and they keep stacking up!

Here's my biggest tip - be yourself. I know that sounds so lame but it's really true.
I look like a student and always get mistaken for one.
When I went to University they reminded me that I look young so I always have to be very professional and make sure the students knew I was an adult.
So I tried dressing really conservative and being very 'conservative' (I'm not sure another word for it).
But the kids could see right through me and I had a hard time. One day I thought - I can't do this anymore - I'm silly, I speak in slang sometimes - that's me.
So I sat the kids on the floor (I teach drama) and just started being myself. They respected me so much more from then on.
You have to be who YOU are - if you are wacky - be wacky - KWIM?
And if you make mistakes let them know - "oops - Did I say that the captial of France is Frenchtown? - silly me" They know you're a human.

Plan for loooooooong nights working your butt off. Since I've had kids I've had to go to working part time because I couldn't work all those crazy hours anymore. Just accept that you are going to be working LOTS - it's not like at 5:00 you are off - if you aren't teaching you're planning or marking or thinking about what to plan or mark.

That's my 2 cents - well, my 200 cents ;)