Tax ID required for Matches Fashion purchase shipped to US (over $2,500)?

melsig

Apr 9, 2017
So, I had been debating keeping a beautiful Fendi Strap You that I had purchased with a coupon in the US but was still very expensive - and the same Strap You came up with a significantly better discount on Matches Fashion, so I grabbed it. Along with the ship notification today I received an email from Matches Fashion that I would have to give DHL my Tax ID number, as US Customs requires this for any purchase over $2,500. I called their customer service and they told me that this is truly a US Customs requirement and has nothing to do with them or DHL. Now, I've bought high value items for years from Japan (including a Fendi Peekaboo recently), and I have never ever had to submit my Tax ID for any shipment (although these shipments were by Japan Post Express Mail, not a courier service). I'm quite surprised by this requirement and am wondering if it's only Matches Fashion that requires this or do other retailers like Selfridges do the same thing for shipments into the US? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I found the relevant info on the US Customs site:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/314/~/importers---social-security-number-/-tax-identification-number-/-irs-number-/

EDIT 2: I just called DHL and they said, "There's nothing wrong with your shipment, so we don't actually need your number. We'll notify you if any problem comes up, and we need it."

Last edited:
So, I had been debating keeping a beautiful Fendi Strap You that I had purchased with a coupon in the US but was still very expensive - and the same Strap You came up with a significantly better discount on Matches Fashion, so I grabbed it. Along with the ship notification today I received an email from Matches Fashion that I would have to give DHL my Tax ID number, as US Customs requires this for any purchase over $2,500. I called their customer service and they told me that this is truly a US Customs requirement and has nothing to do with them or DHL. Now, I've bought high value items for years from Japan (including a Fendi Peekaboo recently), and I have never ever had to submit my Tax ID for any shipment (although these shipments were by Japan Post Express Mail, not a courier service). I'm quite surprised by this requirement and am wondering if it's only Matches Fashion that requires this or do other retailers like Selfridges do the same thing for shipments into the US? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, I think I found the relevant info on the US Customs site:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/314/~/importers---social-security-number-/-tax-identification-number-/-irs-number-/

EDIT 2: I just called DHL and they said, "There's nothing wrong with your shipment, so we don't actually need your number. We'll notify you if any problem comes up, and we need it."

Strange. There is an over $2.5K formal entry requirement but as far as I know this should only apply to commercial transactions (so if they knew you were going to resell). This is a personal item so I've no idea. Perhaps someone at M has got the wrong end of the stick - or I have. Get in touch with C&BP before you buy: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDUyMzk4NDUxL3NpZC9zTU50bzhHbQ==

Reactions: melsig
Agreed on checking up. I've spent more than that at Matches and never gotten this request. Matches includes duty, and you are not buying as a wholesaler, so they should not need a Tax ID.

Reactions: melsig
Strange. There is an over $2.5K formal entry requirement but as far as I know this should only apply to commercial transactions (so if they knew you were going to resell). This is a personal item so I've no idea. Perhaps someone at M has got the wrong end of the stick - or I have. Get in touch with C&BP before you buy: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/214/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDUyMzk4NDUxL3NpZC9zTU50bzhHbQ==
Agreed on checking up. I've spent more than that at Matches and never gotten this request. Matches includes duty, and you are not buying as a wholesaler, so they should not need a Tax ID.

Thanks so much for your replies! At the time, I called Matches Fashion, who insisted this was routine and that DHL would need this information. However, the DHL rep just kind of laughed and said they would contact me if there was actually a problem. I was not contacted and the shipment reached me within the usual 2 days.