Tattoo and pain?

i have 7 and some hurt more than others. i found my lower back to be more painful than my neck/upper back. also ribs hurt as well, and wrists were one fo the better places for me! take some ibuprofen beforehand

Any place that is "thin skinned", meaning the bone is close to the surface of the skin without fat or muscles to cushion the bone is going to hurt a lot worse than the other areas. The one on my upper arm hurt a lot less than the one on my wrist, although there was a lot more detail and outlining on the one on my arm.

I got the one on my arm when I was 18, that's what... 32 years ago. (My, how times flies!) A proffesional did that one. The other is just DH's name, got that one done about... 20 years ago, give or take a year. One of my daughter's friends did it. I'd like to get one more, with the names of my kids on the other wrist.

I have 3 tats- One on my ankle, on top of foot, and right shoulder. Dont let anyone lie to you! They hurt like HELL. I nearly fainted with the one on my foot. EXTREMELY painful. After a while though, the area where you're getting the tattoo will go numb [such as my back tat.]Certain spots hurt worse than others.

I have 2 - ankle & lower back. They both hurt. Pretty much felt like someone cutting you with an xacto knife - to me anyway. Ankle hurt but then went numb. Lower back hurt MUCH more than my ankle especially as it went further out to the sides, that hurt more than the center. Bearable but ouch!

Tattoos hurt and there is no way around it. I have both of my arms sleeved... some on my legs, my hipbones, and my back and DH is completely covered. He used to be a tattoo artist and ever since he quit, I have not had anymore work done. If I watch the show, I cringe at the sound of the machine. Like some said, depending on how large you're going... the area just starts to feel raw. It's an annoying sort of pain to when someone is talking you just want to scream SHUT UP at them lol. I love the finished results, but HATE what it took to get there.

I have one on my lower back, the pain felt like... a spoon carving into your skin. I have no idea how that came about.. but I had over an hour to think about how it felt.. and that was what I came up with... but once it's done, over-with, healed.... the pain was well worth it.. :biguns:

LOL! I think Oogiewoogie summed it up nicely. It pretty much feels like a hot piece of metal being dragged across your skin. Some spots are def. more sensitive but I'd have to say that the one on my left wrist hurt the most! My sister has one on her ribcage and she said it hurt like a Mofo too. My friend got one on the base of her neck back in high school and she said she could feel her brain vibrating....dunno what it's like but sounds interesting. The pain is def. worth it tho!:tup:

It all depends on the person, seriously.

I have low tolerance for pain, but my tattoo didnt hurt at all (lower back long branch, looks like a thong from far view)

It really depends on who you go to. Make sure you do your homework when chooing parlors.

I have seven...they ALL hurt, some worse than others! Feels like burning to me - I have one on each ankle, top of foot, inside wrist, outside wrist, shoulder, lower back. The one on my lower back hurt the most...but again, that one is the biggest! If I remember correctly, even though we took breaks, I was hanging on for dear life during that one!

I agree with those who said to think long and hard about where you want yours to be...all of mine can be easily covered...most people are surprised when they see one of mine and realize that it is "real".

I have a fairly high pain threshold and have 2 tattoo's, a small one on my shoulder blade and a big one across my lower back.:yes:

I agree with kbell, for me it felt like someone cutting in with a Stanley blade - but at the same time it wasn't altogether unpleasant. I had a couple of moments when he was doing the big one where I felt a bit queasy and faint but apart from that I felt it was all definitely worth it.

I'm glad I had the smaller one done first several years before I took the plunge with the big one, as it gave me a 'taster' of what to expect and didn't take too long to do.

Good luck with your decision - whatever you decide! :tup:

I have a small tattoo on my lower back, and it didn't hurt much. Sort of a dull, annoying ache. I don't think my threshold for pain is very high, either--I cried when I had my nose pierced because it hurt so bad!:crybaby:

Ugh. How old are you Liz? PLEASE Just say no. No offense to anyone like I said in the other thread, but don't do it. You WILL regret it despite what others are telling you. Also if you haven't seen the other thread, the pain getting them taken off is nothing like the pain of getting them put on. I know because I am in the process of having one removed. When you get older it's going to look disgusting. All the ink runs together into a big blob. If you really have to get one, get in an area that is easily covered because people in the business world do not understand you letting your individuality out. I just feel so strong about this subject. Why don't you go buy a bag, at least later you can resell it.

I have three - planning my fourth. The one on my ankle hurt the most - not much skin there, just bone. My leg would twitch in the guys lap whenever he hit a nerve though! My second is on my lower shoulder - I barely twitched. My third is on my ... I donno how you would describe it - lower side, kinda back... that one hurt a bit, but just because I had to sit backward in a chair. I'm going to add on to this piece in the near future.

I have a needlephobia - but I got over it for my tattoos. I choose to get the tattoos - its my own choice and my own pain for pleasure. I love all of my tattoos (and can also easily be covered for work - something else to potentially think about!)

Best of luck :smile:

I only have one tattoo on my right outer thigh. I consider myself to have a very low pain threshold and i was almost in tears while my tattoo was being done :sweatdrop: it took between 1.5 and 2 hours for it to be completed. I would love to get another one done on my upper back between my shoulder blades, but next time i am going to take a friend with me so she can distract me and keep my mind off the pain :smile: