Tassels: A fix for edges

maxxout

O.G.
Mar 27, 2010
I recently got a MINT 2005 Bordeaux City. It was perfect except for the tassels. The edges were never dyed! Plus they were fuzzy. They made the entire bag look crummy so I took them off and was going to have a bag without tassels.

Then, I went to my local shoe repair store. They sold me a shoe polish color matching the Bordeaux beautifully. I applied the polish to the edges and then wiped it off using a lot of clean cloths. It took many "wipe-downs" to get any residue polish off. It not only colored the edges, but got rid of the ratty looking fuzz.

attachment.php

Attachments

• edges.jpg
    edges.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 567
What a great job, maxxout! Being a tassel girl myself, I like it when there are tips on how to fix tassels! Come to think of it, the tassels on my rouille day has the same fuzzy look, but I am afraid there is no rouille-colored shoe polish...or is there? Hmmmm. :thinking:

Thanks Maxxout! Now I get. I just need to find me a blue shoe polish to spiffy up the edges. You described it well. The ratty tassels ruined the overall look. In my bag's case, not only the tassels have no dye even the edges of the bag itself has no dye making it sad looking or as you put it - scrummy. But the body and corners are ok. Great idea! Love it and will do it!

Thanks Maxxout! Now I get. I just need to find me a blue shoe polish to spiffy up the edges. You described it well. The ratty tassels ruined the overall look. In my bag's case, not only the tassels have no dye even the edges of the bag itself has no dye making it sad looking or as you put it - scrummy. But the body and corners are ok. Great idea! Love it and will do it!

Get the paste shoe polish...highest quality. Be very conservative in applcation and do only a tiny area to see if the match is good. You might need to get a navy and a white and mix them. I used a bluish red and mixed with a white to do the corners on my bubblegum pink bag because the pink shoe polish I found was warm pink and I needed a cool pink so I made it myself by mixing a cool red with white. Are you only doing this to the edging or piping around the bag?

You will spend the most time making sure any extra polish is OFF the areas and let it dry several days before you put any sealer on it.

Get the paste shoe polish...highest quality. Be very conservative in applcation and do only a tiny area to see if the match is good. You might need to get a navy and a white and mix them. I used a bluish red and mixed with a white to do the corners on my bubblegum pink bag because the pink shoe polish I found was warm pink and I needed a cool pink so I made it myself by mixing a cool red with white. Are you only doing this to the edging or piping around the bag?

You will spend the most time making sure any extra polish is OFF the areas and let it dry several days before you put any sealer on it.

There you go again! With the best of DIY ideas! I didnt think about mixing. Btw, what specific product should i use to seal it? The Shine Restore by LMB?