Tarrago leather colors - how do you choose?

Rinaiyoko

Jan 8, 2009
Hi everyone,

so I've bought a pre-loved Balenciaga Day and I know I'll have to do something about her condition since the pictures show a lot of discoloring and a few white spots. It has not arrived yet but I'm planning a few things already.

I did dye a leather wallet a few days ago with Fiebings Oil Based Leather dye. It was a light taupe and I dyed it dark brown. Turned out pretty nice but it's not even. There are some lighter and some darker spots here and there... I see this as a practice project :cool: so to get a perfect and even color something like Tarrago is needed.
But how do you decide which color is the right? I don't want to change the color of the bag, just even it out so it looks like new. The color charts are not helping that much, I fear that they turn out totally different in real life...
Does someone have experience with how true to color these charts are?

This is a photo of the seller but I assume it's a bit light so of course I'll wait until the bag arrives before buying the dye.
Picture here!

Hi everyone,

so I've bought a pre-loved Balenciaga Day and I know I'll have to do something about her condition since the pictures show a lot of discoloring and a few white spots. It has not arrived yet but I'm planning a few things already.

I did dye a leather wallet a few days ago with Fiebings Oil Based Leather dye. It was a light taupe and I dyed it dark brown. Turned out pretty nice but it's not even. There are some lighter and some darker spots here and there... I see this as a practice project :cool: so to get a perfect and even color something like Tarrago is needed.
But how do you decide which color is the right? I don't want to change the color of the bag, just even it out so it looks like new. The color charts are not helping that much, I fear that they turn out totally different in real life...
Does someone have experience with how true to color these charts are?

This is a photo of the seller but I assume it's a bit light so of course I'll wait until the bag arrives before buying the dye.
Picture here!

It is unlikely that there is a colour you can just use neat. Most of the time you have to mix so it s quite an art...