Tarrago leather colors - how do you choose?

Rinaiyoko

Jan 8, 2009
Hi everyone,

so I've bought a pre-loved Balenciaga Day and I know I'll have to do something about her condition since the pictures show a lot of discoloring and a few white spots. It has not arrived yet but I'm planning a few things already.

I did dye a leather wallet a few days ago with Fiebings Oil Based Leather dye. It was a light taupe and I dyed it dark brown. Turned out pretty nice but it's not even. There are some lighter and some darker spots here and there... I see this as a practice project :cool: so to get a perfect and even color something like Tarrago is needed.
But how do you decide which color is the right? I don't want to change the color of the bag, just even it out so it looks like new. The color charts are not helping that much, I fear that they turn out totally different in real life...
Does someone have experience with how true to color these charts are?

This is a photo of the seller but I assume it's a bit light so of course I'll wait until the bag arrives before buying the dye.
Picture here!

azsun

joie de vivre
O.G.
Sep 8, 2008
Greensboro, NC
You might try posing this question in the Balenciaga forum....I don't know how many people will see it here! Good luck!

Rinaiyoko

Jan 8, 2009
Okay I might do that. I just thought people who used Tarrago on other bags might see it too.

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
ladysarahinlondon
Hi everyone,

so I've bought a pre-loved Balenciaga Day and I know I'll have to do something about her condition since the pictures show a lot of discoloring and a few white spots. It has not arrived yet but I'm planning a few things already.

I did dye a leather wallet a few days ago with Fiebings Oil Based Leather dye. It was a light taupe and I dyed it dark brown. Turned out pretty nice but it's not even. There are some lighter and some darker spots here and there... I see this as a practice project :cool: so to get a perfect and even color something like Tarrago is needed.
But how do you decide which color is the right? I don't want to change the color of the bag, just even it out so it looks like new. The color charts are not helping that much, I fear that they turn out totally different in real life...
Does someone have experience with how true to color these charts are?

This is a photo of the seller but I assume it's a bit light so of course I'll wait until the bag arrives before buying the dye.
Picture here!
It is unlikely that there is a colour you can just use neat. Most of the time you have to mix so it s quite an art...