tarnished gold hardware - what to do?

pazt

O.G.
Aug 30, 2006
i found out the one of my old bag's gold hardware is tarnished. is there any simple home remedy to fix this? or do i have to drop the whole thing at the store and have them fixed by a craftsman?

:confused1: i'm thinking, there should be a product out there to fix this? any experience with this, guys? TIA!

I had a couple of dark spots on the palladium hardware of my Birkin (I only use it rarely and it was stored in its orange bag in my climate-controlled closet, so I was quite surprised to see it).
I've spoke to both Claude in NYC and Manuela in LA and got advised to try to clean it with a cloth for jewelry. I've actually ordered one on line for this purpose, "the red cloth". It took a couple of minutes to clean these spots.
I've asked Claude if I should do it on regular basis and got an answer that it won't do any harm, specially if I live in humid climat.

I hope that your problem will be resolved as well.

Elena:heart:

I just saw the Mrs Sparkles post.
Yes, just a cloth, it is already treated with some kind of polish.

After success with B hardware, I also used it to polish my belt buckles and found it very safe.

:heart:Elena

Try using a swiss made microfilament cloth (composed of 85% polyester and 15% nylon). It has this velvety texture. I use it a lot in polishing the metal surface of watches, jewelry and lenses. I find it works well too in keeping the metal hardware on the birkins/hacs/kelly nice and clean. Just blow your breath over the piece of hardware and then gently wipe it off with the cloth. Do it in one direction rather than in a circular motion. You might have to repeat it several times with gold hardware to remove the oxidation/tarnish. I got mine from Cartier which came with their collection privee watch. I think you can order it from them. The cloth came in a white color.