tarnished gold hardware - what to do?

pazt

O.G.
Aug 30, 2006
i found out the one of my old bag's gold hardware is tarnished. is there any simple home remedy to fix this? or do i have to drop the whole thing at the store and have them fixed by a craftsman?

:confused1: i'm thinking, there should be a product out there to fix this? any experience with this, guys? TIA!

elena10

O.G.
Sep 25, 2006
I had a couple of dark spots on the palladium hardware of my Birkin (I only use it rarely and it was stored in its orange bag in my climate-controlled closet, so I was quite surprised to see it).
I've spoke to both Claude in NYC and Manuela in LA and got advised to try to clean it with a cloth for jewelry. I've actually ordered one on line for this purpose, "the red cloth". It took a couple of minutes to clean these spots.
I've asked Claude if I should do it on regular basis and got an answer that it won't do any harm, specially if I live in humid climat.

I hope that your problem will be resolved as well.

Elena:heart:

elena10

O.G.
Sep 25, 2006
I just saw the Mrs Sparkles post.
Yes, just a cloth, it is already treated with some kind of polish.

After success with B hardware, I also used it to polish my belt buckles and found it very safe.

:heart:Elena

mrssparkles

Happy
Mar 25, 2006
no product with it? just plain cloth (like the ones that come with David Yurman's)?

thanks, mrss!
You're welcome pazt. No product with it. Not sure if the ones from David Yurman :drool: would do. Give it a shot. If it doesn't, get the red cloth. That would definitely work. :yes:

jaegerhomme

Sep 5, 2006
www.flickr.com
Try using a swiss made microfilament cloth (composed of 85% polyester and 15% nylon). It has this velvety texture. I use it a lot in polishing the metal surface of watches, jewelry and lenses. I find it works well too in keeping the metal hardware on the birkins/hacs/kelly nice and clean. Just blow your breath over the piece of hardware and then gently wipe it off with the cloth. Do it in one direction rather than in a circular motion. You might have to repeat it several times with gold hardware to remove the oxidation/tarnish. I got mine from Cartier which came with their collection privee watch. I think you can order it from them. The cloth came in a white color.