tarnished gold hardware on 2007 B35. Dealbreaker?

floozybean

Jun 13, 2009
IMG_7835.jpg

I am considering buying a b35 secondhand but the GHW is tarnished (or....something). See pic.
Is this a dealbreaker or something easily rectified by polishing with a rouge jewelers cloth? Would spa replace eventually? Or should I take a pass on this bag? It is beautiful otherwise!

Please help....want to buy today :smile:

View attachment 4104748

I am considering buying a b35 secondhand but the GHW is tarnished (or....something). See pic.
Is this a dealbreaker or something easily rectified by polishing with a rouge jewelers cloth? Would spa replace eventually? Or should I take a pass on this bag? It is beautiful otherwise!

Please help....want to buy today :smile:
Pretty sure you can have all hardware replaced at the spa. But it won’t be cheap. So question is: are you getting the bag for a good price? Otherwise you might be paying well above what it’s worth once the spa bill comes in. Also, how extensive is the damage? Is it all over the other hardware components too?

Reactions: floozybean
Pretty sure you can have all hardware replaced at the spa. But it won’t be cheap. So question is: are you getting the bag for a good price? Otherwise you might be paying well above what it’s worth once the spa bill comes in. Also, how extensive is the damage? Is it all over the other hardware components too?
I am paying less than retail. The rest of the bag looks really good (corners, edges....it's just this one piece of HW.
I'm wondering, too, if this is the sort of thing that could be polished or if it's definitely beyond that. I am also trying to decide if it's distracting or if it's something I can live with. I want to use this bag and not be overly precious about it! :biggrin:

jhlkjh
I am paying less than retail. The rest of the bag looks really good (corners, edges....it's just this one piece of HW.
I'm wondering, too, if this is the sort of thing that could be polished or if it's definitely beyond that. I am also trying to decide if it's distracting or if it's something I can live with. I want to use this bag and not be overly precious about it! :biggrin:
I think I would buy it and accept that the tarnish may not polish off. Buy some Never Dull and try to polish. It is gentle product. I could live with the bag the way it is if price good.

If the rest of the bag is in the condition that works for you, I would use the bag & perhaps consider at a later
date a spa treatment & a replacement of the hardware. H will give you an estimate for the replacement of the
hardware
Good luck with your decision

Last edited:
What do you know about the bag's authenticity?
I feel really good about its authenticity - it's from a reputable seller and is a less common leather and color. My gut (without knowing it's provenance or anything else for sure) is that it was stored badly and the HW paid the price of improper storage.:sad:

Last edited:
I had gold hardware tarnished once. I took it to Hermes and asked to change the hardware. I was told it may be from humidity but I still don’t understand how since gold is inert chemical. Nevertheless the craftsman took the bag to the back and came back in 5-10 min. Amazingly the tarnish was gone and gold hardware looks new. He told me he rubbed it with some sort of solution. This one looks different from how mine looks. It was like diffused spots with dark blueish color change. I agree with many and would get it assuming all hardware will be changed and add the cost to the asking price. Nice leather! It is quite heavy though.

on page 17 of the book Memoires des sacs d'Hermes I by Genvieve Fontan
there is a Sellier Kelly showing very similar discolouration.
Are both the plates similarly discoloured?
Fjord is a very desirable leather.
Prinipessa's figure for replacement seems very reasonable, should you wish to have the metal replaced. The downside would be, you would probably be without the bag for some months.