TARGET has a look alike Hermes CDC bracelet!

Hi guys! I don't frequent the Hermes forum (sadly my budget and lifestyle make it a brand I admire from very far away) but I am a long time tpf'er and saw a link to my blog in this thread so I wanted to say I understand your frustration. I remember when Target had their pleather version of a Balenciaga City and even without the Bal name, I was super annoyed as a Bal lover.

I feel a lot of conflict over inspired pieces. I generally try to avoid them (as the text of my entry implies). This is a piece where I knew the reference beforehand. And gift or not, I have to own up to that knowledge. I know the feeling of frustration when you see a crappy, cheap version of something you invested in. I've been there (albeit with much less aspirational brands than Hermes). I'm sure that is what a lot of you are feeling right now. And I am sorry that I contributed to that feeling by participating in the diffusion of a very luxe brand's iconic piece.

I do think those of you who own the real deal can take solace in the fact that it is very obviously not real. It doesn't masquerade as luxury in any way. It doesn't have the brand or any brand's name anywhere. It has snaps that are already changing color. It is an inexpensive purple leather. The details do not mirror the real deal to a lingering eye or a quick glance. This is a cheap bracelet and it looks it. Your real deal certainly doesn't!

I hope you don't mind my chiming in. I just wanted to fess up when I saw the spike in traffic from this corner of the site.

pghandbag, thank you for your post (and your darling avatar!), but IMO, anyway, you don't owe us an apology. Hermes-the-corporation may have a (legal) bone to pick with copycats, but as a client, we have to expect that H, like any luxury brand, will be imitated. Outright replication is illegal, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; clearly, Target (a store I dearly love, by the way) wouldn't be marketing these bracelets if the real CdCs hadn't achieved iconic status. I feel very lucky to own the "real thing," and I am okay if people who can't afford (or choose not to spend on) the real thing wear the Target version. Everyone should have a chance to rock the looks they love (again, IMO)! And I understand if others feel differently. Just my .02.

I know so tacky I hate it !!!!! But hey it's a style icon and it's expensive so I guess we all deserve a shot !!!!!! To me it's sad when big names like Ralph Lauren or gucci have no creativity and make Hermes look a likes have you seen the Ricky bag !!!!!!!

Mindi, thank you so much for that response! You are one lucky gal to have a CDC bracelet!! Even if you don't think an apology is necessary, I still wanted to extend that olive branch to those who are upset about the diffusion aspect. I commented above to clarify that I relate, even if I don't personally own anything in the Hermes echelon of luxury. The mid-level brands I do own are constantly being knocked off and imitated by Forever 21 and Target too. And it bums me out. I definitely felt hypocritical when I made that blog entry. But I wanted to be honest with my readers since I've railed against knock offs on my blog in the past.

That's why I thought I should fess up here and in the blog. My line for knock offs that try to pass themselves off as the real deal is extremely firm. I would never own anything that was an outright fake. But for a lot of my readers and myself, when it comes to "inspiration" pieces, lines are a lot grayer. I have a trench coat from Anthropologie, for example that was a fairly direct interpretation of a Burberry piece. The Burberry piece was long gone by the time I decided I wanted it. Then Anthro released their own version and I bought one because the Burberry one was no longer being made. Though I don't know if I could have afforded it even if it was still around. I feel conflicted about it still... It gets complicated!

I know so tacky I hate it !!!!! But hey it's a style icon and it's expensive so I guess we all deserve a shot !!!!!! To me it's sad when big names like Ralph Lauren or gucci have no creativity and make Hermes look a likes have you seen the Ricky bag !!!!!!!

Birkel: You did it again...you took the words right out of my mouth, I always wondered who else could not fail to notice how the Ricky bag is such a wannabe....BTW, I just bought the amethyst alligator CDC and can't stop staring at it's beauty, now I really want the matching birkin, I wonder how hard it is to get???? LOL:bump:

Mindi, thank you so much for that response! You are one lucky gal to have a CDC bracelet!! Even if you don't think an apology is necessary, I still wanted to extend that olive branch to those who are upset about the diffusion aspect. I commented above to clarify that I relate, even if I don't personally own anything in the Hermes echelon of luxury. The mid-level brands I do own are constantly being knocked off and imitated by Forever 21 and Target too. And it bums me out. I definitely felt hypocritical when I made that blog entry. But I wanted to be honest with my readers since I've railed against knock offs on my blog in the past.

That's why I thought I should fess up here and in the blog. My line for knock offs that try to pass themselves off as the real deal is extremely firm. I would never own anything that was an outright fake. But for a lot of my readers and myself, when it comes to "inspiration" pieces, lines are a lot grayer. I have a trench coat from Anthropologie, for example that was a fairly direct interpretation of a Burberry piece. The Burberry piece was long gone by the time I decided I wanted it. Then Anthro released their own version and I bought one because the Burberry one was no longer being made. Though I don't know if I could have afforded it even if it was still around. I feel conflicted about it still... It gets complicated!

It IS complicated! I have a relative who goes to the infamous Canal Street in NYC and buys outright fakes. Given that I do believe such fakes are often made by what is basically slave labor, and that the proceeds from fake sales do at least sometimes fund other criminal enterprises, I think that is the wrong thing to do. BUT, she is a hard-working person and who am I to say she can't carry a "designer" look-a-like? That would feel tantamount to telling her she doesn't deserve the look unless she can afford it, which is both untrue and downright mean. So, I look the other way. I also agree with you that inspired-by looks are much more okay than outright attempts at duplication, so I'd rather see her buy a similar-looking bag than a Canal Street fake, but. . . I only have a right to regulate my own behavior. And IMO, there's nothing wrong with an Anthro homage to Burberry! Wear it with pride!

i saw these in target today. not only is there a "CDC", there was also a knockoff kelly double tour and even a rivale bracelet. all in the same "collection". they were pretty cheap looking, mostly the metal part.

Guess what was on the clearance rack at Target yesterday???

eedf82cf.jpg

32af42b3.jpg

d3095bc2.jpg

Yeah I saw the same ones on clearance. My little girl was with me and she laughed and said "mommy, these look like yours!". I asked if she wanted one and she looks at me dead in the face and says "nah, I want yours". Too funny!!