Tano vs. Nino Bossi

beeb

O.G.
May 29, 2008
Just in case anyone was wondering about NB compared to Tano, I did a little pic comparison while I was at BAG today. Unfortunately, my pics were eaten by my malfunctioning phone, but here are my thoughts anyway...

I have only seen my own Tano bags in real life, with the exception of 2 or 3 random bags at a Barneys Outlet before today, and I could pick the Tano bags out today without fail. There was just a richness to the leather that wasn't there with the other brands that BAG carries, like Nino Bossi, Sabina, and something with an L that was obviously not very memorable.

Determined not to be a fangirl, I check out almost every bag in the store. From first glance it was obvious which were Tanos and which were Nino Bossi, because the NB's seemed to be trying to be Tanos, but just kind of fell short. I don't say that to insult the NBs at all, but it bears mentioning since even my DH was able to take part in that game.

Their "crunch" leather just didn't seem as rich as Tano's, and didn't feel as supple when compared side by side. That is not to say that I might not like a NB bag in the future, it's just that they didn't interest me today.

The lining in the few NB's I looked at was cloth, and floral patterned. I wasn't overly fond of the patterns but I suppose they would be nice for, say, someone who really likes Anthropologie as they gave off that vibe, IMO.

One thing I did notice in NB's favor was that the leather around the zippers on my Petit Larceny isn't "finished" like it is on the Minilisa (by which I mean that it has the raw edge after the seam) and it was finished on the NB crossbody I looked at. I preferred the finished edge of the NB but not the overall bag. It sort of adds to the look of the bag on the PL though, so I was ok with it!

Thoughts from anyone else who has seen/owns both?

Thanks for your thoughtful review.

Thats all I'm going to say, since I was lambasted by 2 or 3 members for expressing my opinion on this topic in a prior thread.

Just curious- was the "forgettable L brand" that you saw there maybe Latico, by chance? They copy Tano a lot, these days, too...

The boutique here in Portland that carries Tano also has some Latico, and I can see the resemblance. I didn't check out the Laticos closely, though, so I can't speak for how well-made they are.

I own both Tano & NB and honestly can't tell a difference in the leather between them and I am picky with my leathers. My NB's are not from this season so I don't know if things have changed recently, but to me the crunch leather & price are very similar on both. I actually thought the cousins must have the same leather dealer before I heard all the gossip/rumors. I believe this has been brought up in the past (before there was a tano subforum) and several people commented on the similarities and also assumed like I did that the same leather dealer was used.

I don't have access to many NB bags but if I did, I would choose based on the overall look & feel of the bag and not necessarily on the tag inside just like you did. The leather to me used to be similar so this would not be a deciding factor unless things have changed. I love my Tanos but if NB had a style I liked, I would not hesitate to purchase it as well. Of course, I buy what I like and own many brands.

BTW--Members don't get lambasted for expressing their opinion. Just don't try to pass it off as fact due to info/gossip not disclosed to the public. And this thread is asking for opinions, whereas the other thread was just an admiration of bags taken in pics (which included NB in the pics, and NB was first brought up because members asked for the style/color name of them). I received many PMs from members thanking me for speaking up since many felt it was awkward and didn't belong in that particular thread.

Last edited:
I don't have access to many NB bags but if I did, I would choose based on the overall look & feel of the bag and not necessarily on the tag inside just like you did.

What makes you think that she selected her petit larceny based upon the Tano tag inside? Beeb made it clear that the NB bags didn't appeal to her as much as the Tano bags did due to the styling falling short, the leather not being as supple and the lining not being her style.

What makes you think that she selected her petit larceny based upon the Tano tag inside? Beeb made it clear that the NB bags didn't appeal to her as much as the Tano bags did due to the styling falling short, the leather not being as supple and the lining not being her style.

Your misread my line. I was saying I would choose the way she did....by comparing the bags based on style etc. You read my sentence wrong (well my grammar didn't help since I needed a comma). I am a science person not an english person!! That is why I went on to say I don't choose based on labels. I like the way beeb compared and really looked at all the bags in shop instead of just purchasing based on a brand name without considering others. That is how I shop. I do love Tano and I own several Tanos because I love the look and style of them. Based on her description, I would have bought the Tano as well.

If you reread what I wrote, I think you will see it can be read the way I just pointed out. I will try to be more clear in my posts.

Beeb--I appreciate your honest feedback and reviews. Congrats on your wedding!!

Beeb...thank you so much for this info!!! I rarely look away from what Tano has out and I hadn't even heard of NB before people here started talking about it. I appreciate your insight from the consumer's point of view!

Sophi: Since TE has been a Tano insider (literally!) for quite a while, topics such as leathers, production, history of the company, and Tano's imitators are really not her 'opinions'. She actually has the knowledge and is giving us an inside look. Her day in/day out interaction with Tano (not just their products...the actual people who run the company, design their products, etc.) does mean she is the "Tano Expert". :yes:

You read my sentence wrong (well my grammar didn't help since I needed a comma). I am a science person not an english person!! If you reread what I wrote, I think you will see it can be read the way I just pointed out. I will try to be more clear in my posts.

Sorry, I now understand what you meant... I just read it to say something else!

TE

... and something with an L that was obviously not very memorable.

If, in fact, you are referring to Latico bags, that's a great line at a terrific price point - especially if you happen upon one of Amazon's sales. They have a variety of leathers, some of which are very high quality, great linings and finishing, fashionable styling and they're NOT made in China. I recently purchased a tote in a beautiful glossy, rich smelling black leather. The styling takes after the YSL Muse, it has great interior organization, a hidden outside pocket and the price was a whopping $70 from Amazon. [See attachment.]

Latico isn't as flashy as Tano - can't recall having seen any two-tone bags although they do eyepopping electric blue, red and yellow - but it's definitely quality stuff.

moz-screenshot-3.jpg

Attachments

• 41JrlT8KJdL._SL160_AA160_.jpg
    41JrlT8KJdL._SL160_AA160_.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 121
^^Sybar did you buy your Latico bags on-line or in a B&M? If you bought them on-line, where did you buy from? I'm interested in seeing their product.

Sophi: Since TE has been a Tano insider (literally!) for quite a while, topics such as leathers, production, history of the company, and Tano's imitators are really not her 'opinions'. She actually has the knowledge and is giving us an inside look. Her day in/day out interaction with Tano (not just their products...the actual people who run the company, design their products, etc.) does mean she is the "Tano Expert". :yes:

I understand she is the TANO expert but she was speaking about NB. Yes she knows all about Tano stuff behind the scenes. All the drama between the 2 companies she stated might be 100% spot on, but it is based on the TANO side and to me there are 2 sides to every story. Just seems unfair to reveal info that is not public knowledge and we don't get the other side. Perhaps that is the scientist in me. And I understand companies usually do not want to publicly dispute and it might never be public knowledge but that still does not make the info fair or warranted in that particular thread. Not to mention it offended a few NB bag owners that frequent this thread.

I can see that having an opinion about negative comments in a thread that was just to admire photos of bags really rocked the boat. I appreciate brand loyalty but stand by my comments. I did not bash Tano and love my Tano bags (heck that is why I frequent this forum) but just kindly pointed out that bashing NB and discussing private family disputes in that thread was unwarranted and off topic. If anyone who is not biased reads that thread, I believe you might realize what I said was not mean or unfair. You can drool over the bags and praise Tanos without any negative comments to other bags captured in the pics. With that and since I obviously don't understand what was so wrong with stating those comments did not belong in that thread, I will move on. I am done with this topic and guess I should have just been quietly offended by the comments.

Here's the thing: Fair or unfair, warranted or not this is specifically a subforum about Tano we discuss Tano specific topics. Yes, 99.9% of us and our comments are going to be Tano biased...fair or unfair, warranted or not.

Everyone here is free to express what they think and if they are offended by what someone has to say they have a choice to say something about it or not.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion as long as they are within tPF's guidelines. There's nothing wrong with stating comments are out of line; but, remember, that is just your opinion.

Last, I do agree that you did not say anything mean nor did you bash Tano. However, we're an outspoken bunch here. Retorting to a poster with an opposing position isn't 'rocking the boat' but it's unlikely the OP is going to just ignore the retort and, more likely than not, others will start to chime in. I think most of the time people believe they'll post a response that will make everyone say "oh yes you are right how silly of us" and that's not the case.

We can all discuss topics and express our opinions without making anyone feel they shouldn't respond.