Tanning Alternatives

Aug 14, 2006
With this latest news I've decided that I'm not going back to the tanning bed... I don't care how many minutes I have at my local place, I'll lose them, it's just not worth the risk. I used to go 2-3 times a week, but this past year or so I've cut down to once a week. The last time I went was two weeks ago and I don't intend on ever going there again. The only thing that I'm worried about is going pale.
I'm naturally VERY pale and it looks bad, honestly, it really does. Some people look great with pale skin but not me. Before I was tanning people would constantly ask me if I was sick... and not have a cold sick, but seriously ill sick, lol. I didn't tan for my high school grad pictures and when people see my picture at my parents house they ask my parents what was wrong with me. Once I started tanning the change was unreal... people were always commenting on how healthy I look. I don't want to look like I've been on vacation all the time but I want to look healthy and have a nice glow.
So what's a good way to keep some colour? I don't want to be super tanned and I don't want to go orange. The last time I used a self tanner was about 7 years ago and I was a terrible orange, streaky mess. I don't have the time/patience to try to get it right. Is a spray tan a good way to go? My skin has kind of olive-y undertones, do you know if that affects it at all?
Thanks in advance!

Have you tried Tan Towel? I see it on the Home Shopping Network all the time and it looks pretty good on the model. I'm sure you can buy it elsewhere.

You might have to try various products until you find the one that is best for you. I just Googled self tanners and there are a lot of products and options out there. Let us know what you find.

true about the lasting. . . I did it maybe 5 days ago. I did "light" and it's still slightly there. I need to go today :yes:
From clothes off back to clothes on it's under 5 mins.

absolutpink, we live in the same city. Call Sundrops studio -- They're on 11th Ave - they do the best spray tans. In between I use L'Oreal Sublime Bronze airbrush tanning spray. Works for me!

I have done Mystic Tans and have had great results - no orangey look and no streaks. Now, I use the Jergens Natural Glow in the Light Color and I use it every day - again, no streaks or orangey color!

I may have to try those Tan Towels, though!!

GL!

I'm naturally VERY pale and it looks bad, honestly, it really does. Some people look great with pale skin but not me. Before I was tanning people would constantly ask me if I was sick... and not have a cold sick, but seriously ill sick, lol. I didn't tan for my high school grad pictures and when people see my picture at my parents house they ask my parents what was wrong with me. Once I started tanning the change was unreal... people were always commenting on how healthy I look. I don't want to look like I've been on vacation all the time but I want to look healthy and have a nice glow.
So what's a good way to keep some colour? I don't want to be super tanned and I don't want to go orange. The last time I used a self tanner was about 7 years ago and I was a terrible orange, streaky mess. I don't have the time/patience to try to get it right. Is a spray tan a good way to go? My skin has kind of olive-y undertones, do you know if that affects it at all?
Thanks in advance!

I'm the same way... when I'm pale(r) and not wearing makeup, people *ALWAYS* ask if I'm sick or feeling ok :hrmm: lol

Give self tanner another try, because there's new and better products coming out constantly and 7 years is a long time! Definitely try a spray mist rather than the creams or gels and make sure your skin is well moisturized, especially on the dry spots like elbows and knees. Also, don't use anything more than a shade darker than you are naturally. Since you're so fair, buy the Fair or Fair to Medium formulas. The Deep formula won't make you look like you have a deep tan, it will just turn you orange. I LOVE Glow Fusion from Sephora, but it's super pricey. To start, L'Oreal Sublime Bronze MicroFine is a good one. Just spray on a *light* coat and let it dry completely before you get dressed. It won't make you brown, but it will give you a glow and you won't look pale and sickly. If you have the time to drive to a tanning salon and lay in a bed 2-3 times a week, you have the time to do your own spray tan... it takes like 1-2 minutes and you can do it in your bathroom at home before bed.