TangoTosca's Scarf Circus

TangoTosca, you have a gorgeous and amazing collection, and you have displayed them so beautifully! I am having such fun playing the game of identifying scarves just from the bits I see in the group shots.

Thank you for sharing these with us! :flowers: As soon as I get a new camera I hope to follow your lead and share my collection as well.

Thank you French Sandra, luilu, Scarf Addict, Mimi 123, clutchbag, alysarow, booksnchocolate, and Deborah1986! I so appreciate your enthusiasm for all my beautiful treasures. It is so much fun to share them with ladies that enjoy scarves as much as I do.

HannahSophia, thank you very much for enlarging my photos. You are a dear :flowers:

Staying in our red color family, today's second profile is 2009's Hermes in Voyage, designed by Benoit Pierre Emery. I like this designer very much; he was also responsible for Brides Rebelles, Faubourg at Night, Mosaique au 24, Indian Dust, and Ex Libris Camo, among others.

Hermes en Voyage.JPG

Obviously this is not a very subtle colorway, but because it contains so many colors it tends to go with a lot of things, so long as you don't mind making a statement!

Voyage folded.JPG

There are 620 individual flags, most of them inspired by the flags of actual countries. I did some creative "annotations," see below. As I'm sure you are all curious, there are at least 20 distinct patterns, appearing on average 15 times on the scarf, rendered in different colorways. I tried to be more specific but this scarf can make you dizzy if you stare at it too long :weird:

Voyage of Flags.jpg

Yes, there a few repeats of color/pattern, but they are very, very few. There are even some patterns that are only repeated twice. As you can see from another photo, the placement of identical patterns tends to be very random.

Random Voyage.JPG

In order to show off how nicely it can tie, I've engaged the help of my lovely assistant. After all, what's a circus without a bear?! He is an excellent model. Like most models he eats very little, but he has never once tried to throw a cell phone at my head :P

Bear Voyage.JPG

Reactions: Pautinka
Tango- WOW, what a a way to display your collection. When did you start the collection ? I love the way you categorize the colors. Maybe that's how I should start when it comes to organization. I thought I would start my collection first by having one of each color and then expand on it.

Tango- All I can say is I am glad you are out of lurkdom and sharing your beautiful collection with us scarf fanatics....what took you so long(LOL)! Fabulous and thanks for revealing your lovely silks.:woohoo::balloon:

Thank you BH Mommy, Lanit, and chkpfbeliever. I'm glad I came out of lurkdom too. It's much more fun to come out and play! However, the year I spent lurking helped me hone my tastes in scarves and refine my tying skills. When it comes to scarves, I have truly "stood on the shoulders of the giants" and for certain the biggest influence was MaiTai.

My collection is two years old, but I hasten to add that I have no other fashion interests - LOL :biggrin: ! Not entirely true, of course, but it feels like it sometimes. I avoid buying designer clothes because I would be so sad if I bought expensive dresses or skirts, gained a few pounds and then found I couldn't fit into them anymore. There they'd be... hanging in the closet... mocking me.... a silent reproach for indulging in those chocolate cookies, slices of cheesecake, or biscuits and gravy. I'll stick with Ann Taylor and Talbots and enjoy my chicken fried steak, thank you very much!:tender:

Likewise, I am not a purse person or even really a shoe person, though I know exactly which H purse I intend to get... one day. Were it not for these scarves it would already be sitting in my closet, but these beautiful pieces of colored silk have given me so much pleasure and enjoyment, it's hard to imagine placing myself on a ban just to save up for that coveted Kelly.

Having all of my scarves out at one time has reinforced what I already suspected; I am drawn to abstract and "cartoonish" scarves. I have no florals or realistic scarves a la Kermit Oliver. I am not drawn to animals or "horsey" scarves either; no Robert Dallets. I'm not much of one for landscapes - Fantasie Pittoresque is my only entrant in that category.

I prefer bold colors over neutrals, though I think the neutral scarves I do have are good choices. Interestingly, I have no more than two scarves from any one designer. I think I have been very disciplined about not buying scarves that are clearly wrong for me - either the wrong color for my complexion - or ones that look better flat than tied. There is only one 90cm scarf of the 33 that I am genuinely sorry I purchased and never wear, but that's a fault of the colorway and not the design of the scarf itself.

Half of these scarves came from H stores or Neiman Marcus, the rest were bought through resellers or eBay. I have been fortunate not to have a single bad buying experience, and in most cases the scarves acquired through the internet were well below retail.

In fact, the only complaint I have about my scarf collection is that I don't have the opportunity to wear them as much as I'd like. I live in a part of the United States with little winter to speak of - the daily highs have been in the mid to upper 70's all week, and as far as wearing a scarf May - September... forget it. The goal in summer for me is to wear as little as I can get away with and not get arrested for indecent exposure :P

Thank you again everyone for being so appreciative about my scarf collection. These profiles are a lot of fun to write and there is plenty more to come...

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Staying in our red color family, today's second profile is 2009's Hermes in Voyage, designed by Benoit Pierre Emery. I like this designer very much; he was also responsible for Brides Rebelles, Faubourg at Night, Mosaique au 24, Indian Dust, and Ex Libris Camo, among others.

View attachment 1267242

Obviously this is not a very subtle colorway, but because it contains so many colors it tends to go with a lot of things, so long as you don't mind making a statement!

View attachment 1267243

There are 620 individual flags, most of them inspired by the flags of actual countries. I did some creative "annotations," see below. As I'm sure you are all curious, there are at least 20 distinct patterns, appearing on average 15 times on the scarf, rendered in different colorways. I tried to be more specific but this scarf can make you dizzy if you stare at it too long :weird:

View attachment 1267245

Yes, there a few repeats of color/pattern, but they are very, very few. There are even some patterns that are only repeated twice. As you can see from another photo, the placement of identical patterns tends to be very random.

View attachment 1267244

In order to show off how nicely it can tie, I've engaged the help of my lovely assistant. After all, what's a circus without a bear?! He is an excellent model. Like most models he eats very little, but he has never once tried to throw a cell phone at my head :P

View attachment 1267248

I have been eyeballing this scarf on the Hermes website - it is so bright and fun. Thanks for sharing pics of it. I think I need this one!

TangoTosca, thank you for coming out of lurkdom to share your scarf collection with us! It is a major achievement for only 2 years of collecting, and you have a beautiful collection!
On with the show!