Tan Kelly or Beige Flap??

Metrowestmama

Lover of Bling
O.G.
Jan 15, 2013
Love to get your feedback as I am torn and not sure why. I am wondering if I should get a vintage Chanel Kelly bag with SH in Tan vs. getting a current Jumbo Flap in Beige with SH. I love both looks. The Kelly Tan is a true Tan vs. the Flap is lighter. (The price difference is $3200.) I know the flap you can wear crossbody and over the shoulder vs. the Kelly but I don't care either way. Just wondering about style and shade. Here is a picture of the Kelly and the Flap for reference.

Attachments

• 75527-iID{1342719347}_365x274.jpg
    75527-iID{1342719347}_365x274.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 586
  • Untitled copy.jpg
    Untitled copy.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Which one do you think goes more with your day to day looks? Which do you think you'd use more? Which color calls to you more? Both really are classics, or the Hermes Kelly would not be so popular. I'm not sure why Chanel stopped making the Kelly. I have one similar to the vintage you show, only not as old. It's the size of a jumbo.

Attachments

• chanel 002b.jpg
    chanel 002b.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 623
I have both, a Kelly in black caviar and a vintage Chanel jumbo...
The kelly is more "unique" and classy. The jumbo more chic. But really, you can put the exact amount of stuff in both, so I guess it's more of how you wanna look :smile:

I'd personally would choose the kelly, since it's original and more rare.

Beige flap for sure. The Kelly is a gorgeous style but when it came it, people criticized it for being a Hermes copy which I agree. Even my SA said to me, get a real Kelly which I would agree with her.

The flap is 100% classic iconic Chanel. I think you will regret the Kelly... Even the name Kelly says its not classic Chanel.

The beige flap with GHW is the most gorgeous combo.

Beige flap for sure. The Kelly is a gorgeous style but when it came it, people criticized it for being a Hermes copy which I agree. Even my SA said to me, get a real Kelly which I would agree with her.

The flap is 100% classic iconic Chanel. I think you will regret the Kelly... Even the name Kelly says its not classic Chanel.

The beige flap with GHW is the most gorgeous combo.

I totally agree !!!

DoubleW said:
Am I the only one here NOT so fond of Hermes Kelly? ;P I do like the Chanel better, no matter it's a "copy"... :P

I love love love the Hermes Kelly and almost bought one in orange. I do not like the Chanel Kelly because it is a copy. Looks like one is settling for the copy of a Kelly and for me, thats not fashionable... probably why Chanel stopped making it. But yes, I love the Hermes Kelly. I didn't get it in the end because the closure was a pain to get stuff in and out of. Gorgeous look, but not functional... The real Kelly that is. The Chanel copy is easier to open and close but I passed because it looks like a copy of a Kelly. It's like Chanel making a copy of a Birkin but just putting quilts on it... Horrors. My opinion.

By the way, on your question of color which I totally forgot to answer you and that is equally as important. I have both beiges, and my darker carmel/tan beige is the Medallion tote. By far, I use the lighter and more current beige claire a lot more. I will explain why.

The caramel/tan beige is very nice, very deep and rich, but I find I use it more in the fall winter because of the caramel undertones. It is a bit off to use in the summer in my opinion.. I have dont it, but it's not a perfect look in my opinion. I use the beige claire year round because it is absolutely gorgeous, and much more often.

Also, if you get the beige claire flap and are into ballet flats... the beige claire is a PERFECT match with the classic beige/black cap toe Chanel ballets. I love that combo and wear that combo often. When I have used my caramel/tan beige bag with that ballet, it is okay, but not perfect. And I want perfect.

I hope this helps with the color question.

By the way, on your question of color which I totally forgot to answer you and that is equally as important. I have both beiges, and my darker carmel/tan beige is the Medallion tote. By far, I use the lighter and more current beige claire a lot more. I will explain why.

The caramel/tan beige is very nice, very deep and rich, but I find I use it more in the fall winter because of the caramel undertones. It is a bit off to use in the summer in my opinion.. I have dont it, but it's not a perfect look in my opinion. I use the beige claire year round because it is absolutely gorgeous, and much more often.

Also, if you get the beige claire flap and are into ballet flats... the beige claire is a PERFECT match with the classic beige/black cap toe Chanel ballets. I love that combo and wear that combo often. When I have used my caramel/tan beige bag with that ballet, it is okay, but not perfect. And I want perfect.

I hope this helps with the color question.

Yes, that helps a LOT! Thanks!!

Yes, that helps a LOT! Thanks!!

Hi... sorry, going to bug you again... but these bags are not cheap and you need to be sure and have all the info to make the right decision.

Are you sure you don't want it in GHW? I have a beige claire GST in GHW, and that bag literally glows. It is the most gorgeous combo. I've seen the beige with SHW combo, and while it is pretty, it gives a different look. Beige claire has yellow undertones, hence I think it is gorgeous with GHW. The SHW is too much of a contrast in my opinion and takes away the beauty of the bag.

Ahh... the question of matching the hardware up with jewelry. Well... my two cents on that as well. I wear only platinum or white gold jewelry and pearls. Nothing yellow gold. So... I used to think I also had to match my bag hardware with my jewelry, but that's not true.

The hardware for the bag should bring out the beauty of the bag. You want the bag to shine, and glow on its on when it is just sitting there for all to admire. I almost bought a black with SHW, but then as I was going to Chanel to get it, my husband sees the black with GHW, and says... "the black with GHW is stunning with that bag instead of the SHW... there is no comparison". So... my point is... get the hardware that makes the bag glow and shine. The bag is in the spotlight.

Just my two cents. But truly the beige with GHW glows. That is the most beautiful combo ever because the GHW blends into the undertones of the yellow with the beige claire. Whew... I hope that all made sense.

Sorry for all the long posts... but these are not cheap bags!

Hi... sorry, going to bug you again... but these bags are not cheap and you need to be sure and have all the info to make the right decision.

Are you sure you don't want it in GHW? I have a beige claire GST in GHW, and that bag literally glows. It is the most gorgeous combo. I've seen the beige with SHW combo, and while it is pretty, it gives a different look. Beige claire has yellow undertones, hence I think it is gorgeous with GHW. The SHW is too much of a contrast in my opinion and takes away the beauty of the bag.

Ahh... the question of matching the hardware up with jewelry. Well... my two cents on that as well. I wear only platinum or white gold jewelry and pearls. Nothing yellow gold. So... I used to think I also had to match my bag hardware with my jewelry, but that's not true.

The hardware for the bag should bring out the beauty of the bag. You want the bag to shine, and glow on its on when it is just sitting there for all to admire. I almost bought a black with SHW, but then as I was going to Chanel to get it, my husband sees the black with GHW, and says... "the black with GHW is stunning with that bag instead of the SHW... there is no comparison". So... my point is... get the hardware that makes the bag glow and shine. The bag is in the spotlight.

Just my two cents. But truly the beige with GHW glows. That is the most beautiful combo ever because the GHW blends into the undertones of the yellow with the beige claire. Whew... I hope that all made sense.

Sorry for all the long posts... but these are not cheap bags!

No. This is great. Thanks. I wear a lot of white gold/platinum/silver too and would think that the gold might not match. I've also been told to match your metals. But I can only imagine what the GHW looks like. Gorgeous! It probably does look stunning. Curious as to what others do....