Tambour watch, quartz or automatic?

Alex Cheng

Jun 26, 2012
Which one would you choose? Quartz or Automatic? I know there are pros and cons between the two, and I couldn't care less for either.

The quartz is less of a hassle for me, but there is the constant ticking which may annoy me in a quiet room. Also, its perceived to be less valuable by others as a "cheaper watch"

The automatic watch is only 800$ more expensive, which is not significant to me at all, and also the strap is a crocodile strap. However, I don't wear the watch often, and I don't plan on buying a watch winder..so how will that work out? Will constant re-winding each time I decide to wear it hurt the watch a lot? I'll probably be wearing the watch once a week.

Should I just get the hassle free Quartz watch, or the Automatic watch which is only a little bit more expensive?

Quartz
http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#...-Large-Quartz-Brown-Dial-Leather-Strap-Q11115

Automatic
http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#...tomatique-GMT-Brown-Dial-Leather-Strap-Q11310

I don't know too much about the difference between quartz and automatic, but I prefer the look of the automatic one. I like it better than the quartz because of the croc strap. Also, I like the extra yellow number detailing on the automatic.

I'd say quartz given that you will not buy a watch winder. before DH got a winder, it was a big pain because he cannot wear his watch at work - between resetting it and we never got the date right. But given that he is not a huge "watch fan" his Rolex was going to be his one and only so he wanted a true watch. I on the other hand, i love watches, but change mine regularly so I prefer the ease of the quartz. How loud is the ticking? I have my omega up to my ear and I cannot hear it. I even sleep with my PS and I've never heard it and I love absolute silence.

Also I don't think you need to be concerned if a quartz is perceived as cheaper. There are lots of threads on watches here and in the jewelry threads. LV, no matter how well made in Switzerland, or the price tag, is more of a fashion watch to watch snobs according to those threads so I don't think Antoine will be that concerned if you went cheaper with quartz.

clu13 said:
Also I don't think you need to be concerned if a quartz is perceived as cheaper. There are lots of threads on watches here and in the jewelry threads. LV, no matter how well made in Switzerland, or the price tag, is more of a fashion watch to watch snobs according to those threads so I don't think Antoine will be that concerned if you went cheaper with quartz.

This is true. My brother likes watches and he wouldn't consider lv a major watch brand. But their watches are cute! Hehehe :smile:

I would go for the Quartz since it appears that you are thinking of the watch as an accessory, especially since the ETA caliber in the automatic isn't highly finished and the watch is lacking a display back. As for the strap, they usually last about a year and even less in humid & hot environments so I would go with which ever case & dial you prefer. In addition, if you find the GMT complication to be useful (if you travel a lot), the GMT automatic might be a better choice, albeit having to send the watch in for servicing every 4 years can be annoying.

Go for Quartz if you don't wear yours that often..... I got a Tambour GMT and it's pain in da axx :nuts:
and I think Quartz watch don't need as much service as automatic..... After the 5 years warranty if you want to send in your Auto watch for maintenance, it's like $400-$500.

My husband likes watches like I like LV. His watch of choice is Tag Heuer. He has an automatic and he finds it a pain in the @$$, also. It is a vey heavy watch and he doesn't wear it enough to justify always changing the date and time. And yes, don't forget about the maintenance on it. Just another opinion...