Talk to me about Lizard

Our lovely TPFer, Pazt's 25 birkin, vermillion lizard with ruthenium hardware (with a tohu bohu twilly) :biggrin:
IMG_1711.jpg

princessfrog, I love lizard! (And croc, and ostrich...) I have several lizard bags (about 30 exotic skin bags all told, from one maker, all about 50 years old), all the skins and bodies, handles etc. are MINT. And I've used them (as have others) - they look perfectly new.

I bought an H lizard GM agenda de poche (it's 5" by 3" with the two metal hooks top and bottom inside, holds note paper or little calendar), and it's not new, it's approx 10 years old, but it looks brand new.

I think it has to do with how careful you are with the exotic skin. My feeling is that exotic skins are really hardy.

I know there are many many H exotic skin bag owners here - perhaps they'll tell us how lizard holds up.

All I know is while I don't have H exotic skins, mine are made by a competitor in the 50s and they are all immaculate - sturdy, mint and gorgeous! And, if H is supposed to be the premiere handbag maker, stands to reason theirs would stand up at least as well.

:confused1: my aunt owns a lizard bearn and she uses it everyday, i took a look at it and realized that over the years, it gets dry and the scales start to lift also with the color it slightly lightens over time. although it's lovely, but i just don't know if it's worth the buy knowing that there's no way of refurbishing it....i've heard from other people that glazing it again is an option, but the glaze may or maynot damage the original quality of the skin.

here's vintage hermes lizard handbag -- i can't find the date stamp, but my guess is '50s/'60s. it's held up beautifully, and from the wear on the inside it was definitely used (though carefully). so from this i wouldn't say that lizard is destined to have the scales lift. as with all leathers, the dustbag will help prevent drying -- the dust that settles on the bag draws the moisture out of the skin.

P1010538.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Meta
Oh WOW! That's really nice, really beautiful! :heart:

Thanks DQ for sharing that beautiful picture. :flowers:

P/s: I learnt something new today, dustbag will help to retain moisture on the leather bags.

DQ, that is a stunning bag! And it looks practically brand new. Thank goodness for dustbags.

PF, this is my little lizard baby. Once you have it in your hands, it doesn't feel at all fragile. My SA was surprised to hear that they were thought to be 'fragile', because they're pretty hardy skins, provided that you don't really abuse them, of course. And this one's already been through a bit of roughousing and held up well. Hopefully with care it'll look as good as DQ's in about 60 years!

DQ & Gina,
so relieved right now, that you guys actually have something good to tell about lizard:yahoo:

I guess I'll have to go and see myself how that agenda will appeal to me! Also good to know that it will be of advantage to store it in a dust bag, when not used...

:flowers:

here's vintage hermes lizard handbag -- i can't find the date stamp, but my guess is '50s/'60s. it's held up beautifully, and from the wear on the inside it was definitely used (though carefully). so from this i wouldn't say that lizard is destined to have the scales lift. as with all leathers, the dustbag will help prevent drying -- the dust that settles on the bag draws the moisture out of the skin.

P1010538.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This bag is TDF and I don't even like vintage. Just stunning.. absolutely stunning... has anyone told D yet? I'm on the verge of passing out this bag is so breath-taking...:love: :love: :love:

there's a lovely little fuschia 25 cm kelly at my H boutique just waiting for someone to give her a good home! :smile: she won't come cheap though, i think she's like around 9K! but quite a pretty bag!

also a vert anis lizard constance with a gold H. gorgeous! the inside is lined with such a smooth leather i wonder if it's box or swift?