Talk me out of Chanel!

Starfallen

O.G.
Jan 2, 2008
Okay...for nearly a year, I have been obsessing over a flap. I bought one, kept it in the closet for a month then returned it because I couldn't swallow the price.
But I still obsess over it. DH is not fond of the style and friends have said it really isn't me...I am a teacher and not blessed with oodles of cash although I am a great saver and can cut of the shopping when a bag is in the picture.
I have concerns over the quality based on my encounters with the bags...the small flap I had did have a bit of leather splitting and peeling at the seams...the same thing with the larger one I saw at the boutique - the caviar was a bit torn.

I realise I am in the Chanel section and many of you love Chanel dearly...but can somebody offer advice - a reality check of sorts...I think of obtaining the bag again only to know that I might feel regret!

Thank you all!

If it's not suitable for your lifestyle, if it will make you feel awkward among your colleagues or friends, if you have to do without something else that's important to you to buy it, it's not for you.

I'm a total addict - no help here :rolleyes:...if you are thinking of Chanel and obsessing...then maybe you are too...

Good luck finding a cure...because a few QC issues hasn't cured many.:nogood:

IMHO, if it doesn't work for your lifestyle and it won't get carried much, it probably isn't the bag for you.

I will say that I love my flaps. I haven't experienced any QC issues (yet!) It is a lot of money though so I would just make sure that you're sure it is what you want to do.

God. what a dilemma!
I'm in the same position, I am waiting PATIENTLY for my TAX return and have promised myself $3000 to buy any bag I wish..... Now I'm stuck between a balenciaga $1500 and a Fendi $1500 or just a jumbo Flap...... I've always wanted a Chanel, but it just seems I'd get a better deal with the Balenciaga and Fendi??!!! Oh god what to do!!!!!!!
They are timeless and beautiful, but its a lot of money on one bag.......:shrugs:

God. what a dilemma!
I'm in the same position, I am waiting PATIENTLY for my TAX return and have promised myself $3000 to buy any bag I wish..... Now I'm stuck between a balenciaga $1500 and a Fendi $1500 or just a jumbo Flap...... I've always wanted a Chanel, but it just seems I'd get a better deal with the Balenciaga and Fendi??!!! Oh god what to do!!!!!!!
They are timeless and beautiful, but its a lot of money on one bag.......:shrugs:

IMHO, it isn't good to look at what is a better "deal" in this case. Yes, you get more in terms of quantity, but which bag do you love more? I can honestly say I would rather have 1 bag that I just adored than several bags that were nice but not my favorites if that makes sense.

God. what a dilemma!

I agree...if I take Chanel off my list...then I justify it by saying, well, I can get a balenciaga first and the LV Galliera...then I realize - well that is same amount as a Chanel...so I am cheating myself!

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!
Deep down, I think ItsMyWorld is right.
I have looked a literally thousands of pictures of Chanel over the last week or so, but I have always been an avid wearer of Balenciaga.... But I think its time to buy the bag I will cherish and love forever...... CHANEL here I come!!!!(I think!!)
Plus its free money... (well a tax return) So it'd be like getting it free.......
I even picture myself wearing it! and what I'd wear with it!!!! I think its meant to be : )

Just realize nothing is perfect. You can spend a gazillion dollars on something and it won't be perfect. You have to decide if having a Chanel flap is worth the $$$$ to you, even if it is not perfect (b/c it won't be). If you would rather save the $$$$ you should do that. If you'd rather spend the $$$$ on something else you should do that. Since you had buyer's remorse before, I wouldn't suggest buying another of the same or a similar bag unless something has changed (your income, your nest egg, your attitudes, your needs, whatever).

It sounds like most of the problem with the other bag was the money, not the bag itself, so the problem this time is still going to be the money. Figure out the price you are willing to pay, where you wouldn't agonize so much over the money and you would be able to accept any flaws. Maybe that would fit with getting a Chanel bag either used or on sale instead of buying one full price, or looking into a different style.

All the luxury names have had different effect on me, none had come close to CHANEL though personally...

I wanted to say- pick one that you love most! but this isnt always the smartest thing to do, after all- "want" & "need" is so often confused...

If you had returned one before - do you think you will return another one later? Until you can positively say 'yes' without a doubt, when you have no more 'what ifs' in your head, that's the time to go & buy it :yes:

If you look like your avitar pic then I say Chanel would be a perfect fit and you will love it for life! No sense in carrying what everyone else around you likes-wear what ,makes your heart skip a little beat when you look down at it-Get the Chanel and ignore the price-you will keep it for years and the style is timeless!!!

Hi pursesnpeaches: If you're still thinking about the Chanel after having bought it and returned it, I think you really, really like it. What's most important is NOT what your friends or DH think. If you love it and it will bring you great pleasure, get it! Also, I justify my Chanel purchases with:

a) They retain their value much better than other bags; and
b) They were beautiful and desired 50 years ago and they will be beautiful and desired 50 years from now.

I truly believe that if you buy a classic flap (or even a reissue), you will be able to enjoy it for years and years to come. And hand it down to your granddaughter!! After all those wears, the ROI (return on investment) is great!

:tup::tup: Do it if you really, really want!!

Take the dive! You won't regret it! You can wear it and be a stylish grandma-- that's how long this bag will last and look good for! :tup::tup:

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!
Deep down, I think ItsMyWorld is right.
I have looked a literally thousands of pictures of Chanel over the last week or so, but I have always been an avid wearer of Balenciaga.... But I think its time to buy the bag I will cherish and love forever...... CHANEL here I come!!!!(I think!!)
Plus its free money... (well a tax return) So it'd be like getting it free.......
I even picture myself wearing it! and what I'd wear with it!!!! I think its meant to be : )