Taking the BV Plunge?!

serena11

Jul 4, 2007
Yes, I do believe I am taking the plunge but would like some advice from the experts. I have wanted one for awhile and I just never felt like they were for me, but having felt up the bags the other day at Neiman's, I am pretty sure I am in love. I actually need a black bag but am ok getting a color, because this is going to be my last bag for a long time. I am about 5'4 and I live a pretty casual life.

I want a Veneta- I think it's the perfect bag for me and my introduction into Bottega :yes:. Here are my choices: (1) The medium Venta or the Large (2) Black or a Color and (3) to pleat or not to pleat.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts- I worry that the black is too flat of a color. I worry that if I got the black, it would be silly to get the pleated version as it would not show the detail as well as a color and finally (3) I worry that the large is too large but that the medium will be too small. I worry a lot.

TIA!

If you do need a black bag, I would get the black pleated Veneta. I just bought the Turbolence (purple) pleated Veneta. It was between that or black. The black is lovely and because the leather has a slight sheen, it shows off the pleated detail really well. This way you will have the best of all worlds...a bag in a color you actually need, your first BV, and the lovely pleated design.

i think the medium veneta is perfect. check out the bv action shots for different views..... here are some photos i posted earlier to give you size comparison. the model is shorter than you are, 5 feet, but you can get an idea. the first picture is medium sized and the second is large

have fun with your purchase and definitely show us what you get!

Attachments

• mediumtigerveneta.JPG
    mediumtigerveneta.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 116
  • largetigerveneta.JPG
    largetigerveneta.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 102
Try both sizes on to see which feels best and looks best on you.

Since you said this will be your last bag for a long time, I would suggest the classic Veneta since it's timeless. The black won't look flat--the Nappa leather has some sheen to it. I had a black woven Nappa bag and it was gorgeous! (had too many black bags) You might consider Ebano for color. It shows off the woven nappa beautifully.

We'll admire your bag! Please share pics with us:smile:

So, does anyone have an SA they recommend? i don't think any of the department stores bought the medium pleated veneto, so if go with that I would have to buy from a BV store, I would need a patient SA because I am a bit of a nut when it comes to buying bags over the phone.

Thanks you all so much! I am off to hunt for the bag. I need to see if my local NM has a medium veneta that I can try on for size. The large just looked a little silly on me. Of course, the SAs loved it and were trying to convince me that it was the perfect size- they say the same thing about the bags I pick up as a joke.

serena, why don't you put your stuff in the venetas to try? the thing about them is that they appear smaller when loaded, so the large won't look oversized at all.
I have both medium and large and i like the large better. I'm only 5'3.

I also wanted a Veneta but found that I preferred the New Pyramid, so definitely don't limit yourself. Try out some bags.

To my eye, the black does look more flat than other colors. You might be surprised at how truly versatile some of the brown shades are, like Noce, or the dark espresso color. I never, ever wear brown and black together except when I carry my Noce -- and it looks fab with an all-black outfit. The browns created by BV are SO rich and beautiful.

I agree. I am probably in the minority here, but the Veneta style is one of my least favorite BV shapes -- just dislike the wide triangle shape.

I love the Pyramid best, and the Campana.

IntlSet and Jane- it's so funny you brought up the pyramid because that is the bag i was considering. I was speaking with a bottega SA and she told me that she recommended the Veneta for my first time out and that she could sell me the pyramid but she'd rather I had a bag that was functional for me. I will try out the pyramid though just to be sure and i will load the large to see how it is with my daily equipment in it.

serena11 - i have both and the new pyramid holds more, but the medium veneta is plenty big for me (i am somewhere between 5'1" and 2"). i love both shapes. in fact, i was just looking at my unstuffed veneta last night thinking what a great shape it is. have fun trying bags on!

Doloresmia- I think the medium is a good size because it's not that much smaller than the large (according to the reference threads) and I don't think I have a style that can pull of a very large bag. I am so tempted by the pyramid, I've seen some lovely photos of it in a grey shade...do they ever go on sale?

I put all my stuffs in the bag when I tried the bag in the store, and that's how I got my first large Veneta. I was not impressed with the shape with it was flat in the glass cabinet but after I put my stuffs in....wow, it looked so nice. Veneta is very soft and shoulder friendly, perfect for my narrow shoulders. I do not have a Pyramid but have a Sloane. I find the strap not as comfortable and secure on my shoulder. Hope you have chance to try both them out and see which one you like better.