Taking in a Foach for repair?

Toonces

Yeah, it's bad
Jun 19, 2009
I saw something today when I was in a local fp store. I was purchasing a key fob and the older woman next to me had with her a heinous signature Carly Foach. I mean it was REALLY bad, but then I was almost unsure of myself because the SA that was waiting on me said, I'll be with you in just a sec I just have to write up this repair for this customer.

I kept looking at it and saw the cheap "leather" with COACH stamped in the wrong font all over the hardware, and then the SA opened the bag and there it was, that awful signature inside as well.

By that time another SA came up to ring me up and I said to her, "look it's really none of my business but you guys know that bag she has is fake...right?"
She just looked at me and smiled and whispered "yes, but we're not allowed to say anything, we just send it in for "repair" for the customer."

Now I didn't stick around to see if they charged her the fee for sending it in, but why waste the SA's time and the woman's time thinking her bag is gonna get repaired? I get the whole lets not piss off a customer but I'd rather know I had a Foach and not pay the $20 fee to send it in and then get a letter from Coach anyway.

I don't think they're outright allowed to tell a customer they have a fake, just to cover their butts in that random occasion that they may be wrong. This way they'll leave it up to the repair people to deem it a fake and declare that they can't return the bag.

I totally agree with you. I mean it could be that the woman knows her bag is fake and thinks she can get away with a repair. I've seen and heard of dumber things. However, more than likely, she has no clue and now it's going to cost her $20.

What a story. I can only image how ugly the bag was and how hard it was for the SA to keep her lips zipped. Some fakes are so bad you can see it from a distance, you don't have to be up close to pick it out.

That's amazing, I should think they'd be upfront. Something like: "I'm sorry, this bag is a replica (I'd say replica,not fake) and as such I can't send it in for repair."

Their action is ridiculous. The "customer" either knows it is a fake and they are encouraging the behavior and "leading" her on. OR

The customer doesn't know and will be "p'od" later when she finds out.

But somehow in "pass the buck world" I'm not surprised.

I think they are handling a bad situation the best way they possibly could.

How do the SA's know the circumstances under which the customer acquired the Foach? I can't fathom that the customer would be aware the bag was counterfeit - likely it was purchased from a seller who said it was genuine, or it was a gift. How embarrassing, either way, to be confronted in the store in that case.

What if an SA identified a bag as counterfeit - and it wasn't? Perhaps this particular bag was easy enough to spot, but how many older, rare bags could show up, or a department store or overseas bag, that an SA might not be able to identify easily?

I don't see how Coach policy could be anything different.

I don't know if I could have kept my mouth shut. I think I would have blurted something out in order to keep my head from exploding. . .
gi73.gif

I could see why they wouldn't say anything. I can imagine how many people would freak out and start a screaming match in the store if a SA said they couldn't accept their bag because it was fake. Easiest way to avoid a confrontation is to send it in for repair and let them take care of it from there.

I always thought they would confiscate it if you brought in a counterfeit. After all, they are illegal.
Maybe Coach will send her a letter telling her that they are sorry that her purse can't be repaired, but here is a coupon for your next one. They don't have to tell her that it is fake. That way, Coach gets a new customer and everyone is happy.

I always thought they would confiscate it if you brought in a counterfeit. After all, they are illegal.
Maybe Coach will send her a letter telling her that they are sorry that her purse can't be repaired, but here is a coupon for your next one. They don't have to tell her that it is fake. That way, Coach gets a new customer and everyone is happy.

I think they used to confiscate fakes back when you could still send them in for authentication. I don't know if they do it when you send them for a repair though. But I hope they tell her it's fake.

That is one of the tackiest things I have ever heard. I wonder what they would have done had another customer pointed out it was fake? Probably still would have sent it in to make Mrs.Tacky happy. There is always the chance she really didn't know. Some people get those horrible things really thinking they're real because they have no clue. I would be mortified.

I saw something today when I was in a local fp store. I was purchasing a key fob and the older woman next to me had with her a heinous signature Carly Foach. I mean it was REALLY bad, but then I was almost unsure of myself because the SA that was waiting on me said, I'll be with you in just a sec I just have to write up this repair for this customer.

I kept looking at it and saw the cheap "leather" with COACH stamped in the wrong font all over the hardware, and then the SA opened the bag and there it was, that awful signature inside as well.

By that time another SA came up to ring me up and I said to her, "look it's really none of my business but you guys know that bag she has is fake...right?"
She just looked at me and smiled and whispered "yes, but we're not allowed to say anything, we just send it in for "repair" for the customer."

Now I didn't stick around to see if they charged her the fee for sending it in, but why waste the SA's time and the woman's time thinking her bag is gonna get repaired? I get the whole lets not piss off a customer but I'd rather know I had a Foach and not pay the $20 fee to send it in and then get a letter from Coach anyway.

Are you serious? They actuall ytook it even though it was a blatant fake? Wow.
Before I became a member of this forum (actually, this is sorta the reason why), I had bought what I thought was a real Coach from Marshall's about 6 years ago. Well, the drawstring broke on it six months later, so I brought it in to my local Coach for repair. The SA took one look at it, typed in the serial numbers, and then told me it was a fake, and that they will not repair fake Coach bags. First off, I was SO embarrassed, I had NO idea it was a fake (and it was, once I inspected it and compared it to real Coach bags in the store), and the SA was sorta rude too.... I learned my lesson!

I think they used to confiscate fakes back when you could still send them in for authentication. I don't know if they do it when you send them for a repair though. But I hope they tell her it's fake.

Actually that reminds me of something. I just sold a Coach on Ebay and I looked at the buying history of my buyer. She recently bought a Foach. So I don't know if I should tell her or mind my own business. I don't want to tell her because I don't want her to associate me with the fake, but I wish she would find out some other way.