Taking Care Of Handbags (When Your City Is Boiling Hot!)

Apologises if this has been discussed.

I'm looking to start my designer bag collection, and I have to say- I'm pretty excited. But as I am buying leather bags, I want to take good care of them. I live in Sydney, Australia and our weather gets really hot and humid in summer and I'm worried this will impact on my bags.

I can't air condition my bags, because I'm trying to lower my energy bill (so I can purchase more goodies!). I can keep them out of the sun- I've got a modern full length wardrobe

So I'm a little bit confused. Are dustbags the way to go? Sunlight: Friend of Foe? Do I have to be concerned about mold? Any suggestions about handbag storage?

This may seem like obvious questions, but I need help!

Might be better to keep out of a closet or wardrobe with closed doors or drawers. Perhaps on metal shelves, not stored in boxes. Heat and humidity can damage leather without one knowing so I would check on your bags if you are not wearing them frequently. Can you run a fan in the room to circulate air a few hours a day or night when it is very hot and humid?

I also kind of question in keeping leather bags stored in dust bags. My friend had her New grey leather YSL bag turn colors from being stored in a dust bag in her air conditioned closet room with a open door and air purifier in it. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen, the leather became very light and discolored in certain places kind of like a watercolor design. The bag was new but she just didn’t use it since she had so many bags. And it was on a open metal shelf unit. So to me things can happen even if you have air on.

I have read 9n the forums about bags getting discolored, stained or mold growth from storage. Don’t put any bags where there is a heat vent or air vent near them. For mold prevention I would always clean out the bag before you put it away. Make sure it is. It damp from the rain or anything. Also don’t carry things that can spill inside your bags.

Enjoy your bags and try not to worry. Use them. Most people never have problems, it is when one does we hear about it.