Taking a B40 to NYC???

I live in NYC. I see people with birkins even inside the crowded subway. you should be fine. but as what everybody says, be alert of your surroundings, keep you bag closed at all times especially in crowded areas. The streets get wet and slippery during snowy December and carrying a birkin could get really heavy if you are going to do lots of walking around the city.

I work in NYC and carry my B open everywhere I go (including the subway). I’ve never felt unsafe and have actually had people stop me on the subway to let me know when my backpack is open (more often then I’d like to admit). As many people have pointed out, designer bags (Hermes, Chanel, LV, Dior, Prada etc) are quite common esp in certain areas i.e.,Madison, Fifth, certain parts of midtown, Chelsea, soho and upper east/west. You’ll be more than fine - just be vigilant. I find myself more worried about pickpockets in certain parts of Europe than NYC but it might be because I consider NYC to be home.

The closer your travel is to Christmas, the more packed NYC is with people in that particular area of the city. I do not walk around with my "good bags" in mid-town Manhattan during mid to late December. Also, as someone already mentioned, weather can be a factor as well.

Reactions: lulilu
Rockefeller Center and Fifth Avenue can become shoulder-to-shoulder tourists, depending on how close to Christmas.
A great time of year to visit.
FOR SURE, but to me .. it's hard to beat! My top Holiday (Christmas) destinations are:
1. Paris - the City is always beautiful lit up, but NEVER tacky
2. London - similar to the above, but Paris just shines
3. NYC

The worst? .. LA! Even Pasadena, then put lights on the Palm Trees .. I don't even think they put up decorations last year around here! Now, in my neighborhood, OMG .. tons of lights, but ticky-tacky-big-time!!!

I don’t worry about toting my B around NYC, though I would think twice about leaving it in the hotel room unattended. Maybe hang the DND sign on your door when you plan on switching to your lighter bag.

I carry a B35 all over NYC in the course of a typical work day, like thousands of other New Yorkers. Yes, if it's rainy, I stick to Togo or Barenia, but if the weather is really bad I'm more likely to be in cars or taxis anyway.
Your B40 will be a great shopping companion and yes, it should help somewhat with getting sales attention.

They are everywhere in Manhattan. But if you really don't want to take it with you, don't. My main concern though will be that it is heavy to tote around the city. So make sure you bring something "lighter" in case you need to switch out bags. Enjoy the city!
Not sure where you should put it if you switch it out, I would not leave it in a hotel room

Other than safety concerns, is your B made of all-weather-proof leather? NYC in winter = rain, possibly also snow. Togo, Clemence, Chèvre and Epsom should do fine, Barenia or Sombrero not so much.

Incidentally, my go-to 100% safe, ultralight & weatherproof touristy bag is always a Travelon or PacSafe. No one even tries to pick or snatch those!
It is togo leather!! and I will be packing its raincoat :smile:

Reactions: Pimpernel