Take Care of Skin at a Young Age?

angelnyc89

O.G.
Jul 1, 2009
Hey, never posted in this part of the forum. I searched this but found nothing. I read in an article a long time ago that if you begin take care of your skin at a young age, like 20s, washing your face twice a day daily, moisturizing, using anti-aging products, sunscreen. Do you think this would prevent wrinkles in the future? Do you think it would help the skin? Has anybody done this? TIA! :smile:

I started in my early 20's taking care of my skin. I use sunscreen on my face, chest, neck and hands all year round. I stopped using harsh products and now only use natural oils and stuff from the kitchen for skin care. I also never smoked and do not go out in the sun to tan. My skin is in great condition, no lines and it looks about 10 years younger. It really is a combination of genes, taking care of your skin and your lifestyle.

My first skin care products was the redken facial bar back in my early teens. I have taken good care of my skin ever since. People always say I look at least 7-10 years younger than I am! Don't know if it is genes or product but it can't hurt!

Protect the skin from the sun, that's number 1, if it's not because of the sun, we only start getting wrinkle at 70. Of course taking care of your skin is vital and your genes too. I'm 40 and I don't have wrinkle, not even a line. I know this lady of 72 year old who still doesn't have wrinkle on her face (she's asian), no plastic surgery, no botox, just plain old habit, a good habit of taking care of her skin, a good diet and avoid sun without protection.

I'm only 27 right now but I never go tanning and use sunscreen if i'm out in bright sun long enough for a burn (i'm pale i burn not tan lol) and i don't smoke. i see older woman all the time who obviously did too much tanning and its scary! I also know being pale i'm more likely to get skin cancer so why risk it! I know i'm going to be happier in the long run for avoiding tans.

I'm 40 and I don't have wrinkle, not even a line. I know this lady of 72 year old who still doesn't have wrinkle on her face (she's asian), no plastic surgery, no botox, just plain old habit, a good habit of taking care of her skin, a good diet and avoid sun without protection.

omg I'm amazed. keep taking care of your great skin! :smile:

This is strictly my opinion but I think you should take care of your skin starting in middle school/early tweens. If I did nothing now and waited until my 20's to really concentrate on keeping it at its best my skin would be a mess. It's also about habit like baspy said. I drink enough water, exercise, don't overeat junk food (heh maybe I could better on this one :P) and wear my SPF.

i have been taking care of my skin since 18 and i am now 27. i wear sunscreen every day, even if you think you are not in the sun, you get more sun than you think. i have lots of friends with wrinkles already and i have none. i am often told i look like i do botox, but i don't. i have never smoked, not even one.

I've always taken care of my skin. I'm 36, mother of two, and am routinely mistaken for far younger, and I actually get carded frequently.

wash twice daily with something gentle, moisturize, don't ever tan, and always wear suncreen. I won't open a window without putting SPF on.

So, to answer your question, yes. the longer you take better care of your skin, the better you will look.

Last edited:
I definitely thinking taking care of your skin is a good idea right now. But you don't have to go into extremes with it. I have friends that are 20-23 and they feel like they have to use anti-aging products.

Drinking plenty of water, taking a hair, skin, and nail vitamin, and a little vitamin c serum after washing my face keeps it pretty clear and radiant.

I don't think people in their early 20's need anti-aging products and fancy skincare, but that's JHMO. The most important things you can do are: wear sunscreen everyday, don't smoke and drink lots of water/eat a nutritious diet.

FYI, I'm in my late 20's and this is what I'm currently using...
AM:
Cetaphil Cream
Aveeno spf70 for face

PM:
Phisoderm cream cleanser
Cetaphil Cream
Mario Badescu hyaluronic eye cream

I've been using various skin care products since I was a teenager. I'm 27 now and I recently started adding some 'preventative'/anti-aging skin care items into my regime like Lancome's Genifique and Philosophy's Help Me.

I'm not so sure anti-aging products are necessary for people in their 20s....at this point, I think the most important things to do are to avoid the sun, ALWAYS wear sunscreen, and NEVER go tanning. I don't think it would hurt to start using eye cream at night, though...that seems to be the first place for wrinkles to appear.