Take Bill Me Later

Let's say you made a local sale on E Bay. The buyer had agreed to pay you with cash at time of pick up. The buyer bids on your item. Buyer then realizes that he/she does not have cash to buy it.

The buyer offers to pay using Bill Me Later. How will you feel? Will you still honor the transaction or tell buyer that if they are not going to pay cash as agreed, then I will re-list.

The purchase cost is $100. What would you do?

Let's say you made a local sale on E Bay. The buyer had agreed to pay you with cash at time of pick up. The buyer bids on your item. Buyer then realizes that he/she does not have cash to buy it.

The buyer offers to pay using Bill Me Later. How will you feel? Will you still honor the transaction or tell buyer that if they are not going to pay cash as agreed, then I will re-list.

The purchase cost is $100. What would you do?

Is this a bicycle? If so then shipping is probably not feasible. If it is a smaller, lighter item I'd consider agreeing to BML if buyer pays shipping. I'd explain to the buyer than for an eBay sale using an electronic payment method you need online proof of delivery to CYA.

If they want to pay with PP you will need to show proof of delivery. The buyer could say they never received the item and you would have no online viewable proof of delivery. The buyer would win and you would be out the item and the money. If the buyer wants to pay for the shipping then accept PP. If they want to pay with PP and pick up in person I would NOT do it. If they want to pick up in person they need to pay in CASH.

I would stick to the original agreement. They failed to follow through on the agreement so I would give them X amount of time to come up with the cash and if they don't come up with it put the bike back up for sale.

^^^What C Mom said. I will never understand buyers who agree to purchase something without having the money to do so in the first place.

If you do decide to accept "Bill Me Later" don't give them the bike until they have paid for it.

Last edited:
Yes, this is a bicycle and a local sale. Should the seller tell the buyer to pay PP fee if they are going to do PP after saying that they will do cash for the pick up?

No, what I meant as the others have said is that if you are going to accept PP or BML you need to be able to show delivery online (UPS/USPS/FedEx delivery or w/e) or the buyer can claim they never got the item and PP or eBay will give them their money back.

Since actually shipping the bike would be prohibitively expensive I'd probably tell the buyer that you could give them a little longer to get the cash together (if you can manage it) but that you won't accept BML as payment.

No, what I meant as the others have said is that if you are going to accept PP or BML you need to be able to show delivery online (UPS/USPS/FedEx delivery or w/e) or the buyer can claim they never got the item and PP or eBay will give them their money back.

Since actually shipping the bike would be prohibitively expensive I'd probably tell the buyer that you could give them a little longer to get the cash together (if you can manage it) but that you won't accept BML as payment.

I think I'd go the craigslist route. People pay really good money for bikes on Craigslist and then you don't have to worry. I bought a darling bike on craigslist! Then no ebay fees too!

I don't think the OP is understanding the fact that there has to be an actual shipment if payment is made through PP.

OP, if your buyer pays through paypal and picks the bike up in person, they can then go to paypal in a month and claim non-receipt. Since you won't have a tracking number, the buyer will get the refund and will still have the bike. (Paypal won't listen and won't care when you plead with them that "the buyer picked it up in person.")

I don't think the OP is understanding the fact that there has to be an actual shipment if payment is made through PP.

OP, if your buyer pays through paypal and picks the bike up in person, they can then go to paypal in a month and claim non-receipt. Since you won't have a tracking number, the buyer will get the refund and will still have the bike. (Paypal won't listen and won't care when you plead with them that "the buyer picked it up in person.")

This. I know it might seem far-fetched but there have actually been scams like this turning up. And eBay/ PayPal will only accept online viewable proof of delivery. Nothing else. You could have video documentation of the handoff and an affidavit from your buyer signed in blood. They will still give your money back to the buyer if they claim non-receipt.