Tahitian pearls from Tiffany & Co - opinions?

Onebagtoomany

O.G.
Apr 16, 2011
I recently fell in love with Tahitian pearls and really want to buy a pair of 9-10mm Tahitian pearl studs set in 18k white gold. Unfortunately there is very little choice in the way of fine jewellery in 18k gold settings at a reasonable price on the high street here in the UK, so I am considering this set of Tahitian pearl studs by Tiffany's:

http://www.tiffany.co.uk/Shopping/I...pp+341+3&search=0&origin=browse&searchkeyword=

Does anyone have these Tahitian pearls? Or indeed has any type of pearls from Tiffany's who can comment on the quality and lustre? I am not specifically after a designer set but don't want to order from abroad - with vendors such as Pearl Paradise I would have to pay customs duties and possibly have the hassle of arranging a return, plus as far as I am aware they set their pearls in 14k gold and I would ideally be looking for 18k.

Mikimoto pearls are way out of my budget at the moment, especially for the size I want (9-10mm). I like the fact that with Tiffany's I can return the pearls easily if for whatever reason I am not happy with them and my experience of their customer service has always been excellent.

I have not been too impressed with the tahitians I have seen at Tiffany's. I buy all my pearls from Pearl Paradise. They will do settings in 18kt and platinum. Most of their items are not on their website. Best thing to do is contact them by phone or email and ask specifically for Jeremy (owner) or his wife Hisano (designer). If you tell them the tones you want in your tahitians and what quality you want they will select a few pairs and send you comparison pictures. Their customer service is outstanding. You will get much, much nicer pearls from PP than Tiffany's.

I have not been too impressed with the tahitians I have seen at Tiffany's. I buy all my pearls from Pearl Paradise. They will do settings in 18kt and platinum. Most of their items are not on their website. Best thing to do is contact them by phone or email and ask specifically for Jeremy (owner) or his wife Hisano (designer). If you tell them the tones you want in your tahitians and what quality you want they will select a few pairs and send you comparison pictures. Their customer service is outstanding. You will get much, much nicer pearls from PP than Tiffany's.

I can also vote for pearl paradise, every single pearl item I've bought from them has been amazing quality. if you buy Tahitians you can also select the overtone you like or looks best on you such as silver, copper, peacock, etc...

Thanks ladies! I wish Pearl Paradise had a UK branch, I just feel it is a lot of money to spend without being able to see the pearls first. It sounds like you all have some gorgeous pieces :smile:

Since the Tiffany Tahitians are so overpriced and not great quality, mum is going to ask our family jeweller to source me a pair of 9mm silvery black Tahitian pearls and set them in 18k WG. He can do this for a very reasonable price and at least she is onhand to check them. She lives abroad though so I might not get them till August - booo!

Thanks ladies! I wish Pearl Paradise had a UK branch, I just feel it is a lot of money to spend without being able to see the pearls first. It sounds like you all have some gorgeous pieces :smile:

Since the Tiffany Tahitians are so overpriced and not great quality, mum is going to ask our family jeweller to source me a pair of 9mm silvery black Tahitian pearls and set them in 18k WG. He can do this for a very reasonable price and at least she is onhand to check them. She lives abroad though so I might not get them till August - booo!
I'm going to make one more suggestion. Try contacting Wendy at www.pearlescence.co.uk
She is quite active on the Pearl forum and I know she goes to the major Hong Kong shows. She doesn't have a lot on her website, but since pearls are so individual I don't think most of the inventory is on line. If she doesn't have what you want she is very nice and helpful (and really knows pearls!!!!) and shecould probably steer you to the best places in England since she lives there.

Another fan of Pearl Paradise here! I'm from the UK too & buy most of my jewellery from US as they have much more choice than the UK.
They will email you pics of various pearls that you might be interested in.I have never been disapointed.

I'm going to make one more suggestion. Try contacting Wendy at www.pearlescence.co.uk
She is quite active on the Pearl forum and I know she goes to the major Hong Kong shows. She doesn't have a lot on her website, but since pearls are so individual I don't think most of the inventory is on line. If she doesn't have what you want she is very nice and helpful (and really knows pearls!!!!) and shecould probably steer you to the best places in England since she lives there.

Thanks jpup, I will check out her site :smile:

Another fan of Pearl Paradise here! I'm from the UK too & buy most of my jewellery from US as they have much more choice than the UK.
They will email you pics of various pearls that you might be interested in.I have never been disapointed.

Thanks - looks like Pearl Paradise is very popular! Since you are also in the UK do you mind me asking what sort of customs duties are payable on these sort of purchases?

Thanks - looks like Pearl Paradise is very popular! Since you are also in the UK do you mind me asking what sort of customs duties are payable on these sort of purchases?

It depends how much you spend,really.You will pay a lot less for the price of the pearls if you buy online than if you buy from & bricks & mortar shop with all their overheads to cover by hiking up the prices. Any money you spend in customs charges will be off set by the money you save buying from,say Pearl Paradise:smile:
I have never found the customs charges to be exorbitant & it has never put me off importing my sparklies,after all,we can't find them here,so............what's a girl to do?:biggrin:

It depends how much you spend,really.You will pay a lot less for the price of the pearls if you buy online than if you buy from & bricks & mortar shop with all their overheads to cover by hiking up the prices. Any money you spend in customs charges will be off set by the money you save buying from,say Pearl Paradise:smile:
I have never found the customs charges to be exorbitant & it has never put me off importing my sparklies,after all,we can't find them here,so............what's a girl to do?:biggrin:

Lol, I like your thinking! I'll see what happens with our family jeweller for now as he has made me earrings in the past which I was really happy with, so I have no doubt he will source some beautiful pearls to make into earrings. His quote also came to around half the Tiffany's price and that includes handpicking the pearls, his labour and the cost of the 18k WG backs. I'll definitely have to look into Pearl Paradise for future pieces though :smile: