Tactful Way To Mention Cigarette Smell On Auction

Well, I'm assuming it's a high end bag, in which case you should def mention it. Ebayers who buy expensive used bags will ALWAYS get pissy about something like that not being mentioned, so good on you.
Good luck

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and I will definitely mention it. When this friend sends me a box of things to sell, I can smell the smokey smell as I'm opening the box. It literally leaks out. I used to smoke and I think you get more sensitive to the smell after quiting. It truly infiltrates everything around it. I have mentioned this to her before and you think she would try and work on this or not send me more things to sell.
Thanks again and you've all be a great help. :flowers:

I applaud you for putting it in your statement. Unlike the previous poster I have received 3 very smoky bags and I tried everything from baking soda, dryer sheets, putting it ouside to air even febreese and nothing worked. Once the leather absorbs the odor it will always remain to some extent and for some (myself included) will never be a usable bag. I ended up throwing two bags away. I always ask now before I bid. I wish all Sellers would mention this important information in their auctions.

I applaud you for putting it in your statement. Unlike the previous poster I have received 3 very smoky bags and I tried everything from baking soda, dryer sheets, putting it ouside to air even febreese and nothing worked. Once the leather absorbs the odor it will always remain to some extent and for some (myself included) will never be a usable bag. I ended up throwing two bags away. I always ask now before I bid. I wish all Sellers would mention this important information in their auctions.

Well, I did mention dryer sheets and odor candies and thought those might work - maybe I shouldn't even mention that so not to give false hope to someone. If I purchased a bag with the smell, I'm afraid I wouldn't use it either - Rats! - this bag is not going to sell is it. :sad:

Well, I did mention dryer sheets and odor candies and thought those might work - maybe I shouldn't even mention that so not to give false hope to someone. If I purchased a bag with the smell, I'm afraid I wouldn't use it either - Rats! - this bag is not going to sell is it. :sad:

Oh, don't worry too much, think positive.:yes: There are plenty of buyers out there, buyers that don't mind or will work to try and remove it. One thing I know for certain, they will all appreciate the information up front.

You'll be fine..... There are threads all over this board with people wanting and getting cigarette smell out of a bag.....but you know, the thing most of these threads have in common is the buyers surprise to the smell, it not having been disclosed by seller.

...if I were you, I would mention the smell and that's it.

:tup:

I've had the same experience, where no matter what I did I could not get the smoke smell out of a bag. I'm asthmatic and can't stand the smell, so it was a real bummer when I had to toss it. Kudos to you for being honest and considerate and mentioning it in your listing. I think you'll be able to sell it still, but possibly not for quite as much. The suggestion of saying it's from a smoking household is good, and I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning dryer sheets, etc., though in my case they just didn't work.

I know all this stuff is subjective, but I wanted to add one more thing.

As a seller I would ONLY state in a listing comes from a smoking household if that in fact was true. I know people who smoke, but don't smoke in their homes or cars for example. I'd probably describe them as having a slight cigarette smell...lol. I know I wouldn't be able to say that if they smoked inside their homes or cars.

I've been in plenty of smoking households, especially years ago when more people smoked in their homes. The smell overtakes everything in the house, it's quite offensive to a nonsmoker.

Thanks again to everyone for all your suggestions and now I'll know what to do when selling her stuff. I do agree that it definitely needs mentioned in the auction and thank goodness it's only her things and that I don't sell them very often.
Appreciate the help. :flowers:

make sure you say something like..the smell strong or not depends on dif. people's references. you stated it is light but might not be to the buyer. so buyer must prepare for that.

Im really glad you are doing the right thing and disclosing. IMO the smell of the bag is just as imperitive to the buyer as a stain or a tear. It is all about the condition, you might get a lower selling price but that is because the bag is in less than perfect condition and this is just something all honest sellers should accept.

I wouldnt hesitate to return a bag if I felt an important element in the bags condition like the smell had not been described.

Your saving yourself alot of hassle in the long run I think.

I would just say "Please be aware that the bag has a slight (depending on how strong it is) smell of cigarette smoke"

I wouldnt say anthing about it being a smoking household unless it REEKS, to me that just conjours up images of chainsmoking in your front room filling the entire place with smoke...makes it seem worse may not be.