Synthetic diamond

Are you thinking of giving one? Or do you think you will be receiving one?

If natural diamonds are important to either person in the equation, someone will not be happy. Communication, therefore is vital to make sure people don't have unclear expectation about what's being given or received.

I have a natural diamond e-ring. I like it. DH wouldn't have been happy giving me a lab made gemstone unless he knew I would be okay with getting one. When I was proposed to, I did not know what quality was available in lab created stones. I wouldn't have been happy unless there was no other option, and then I would have accepted the gesture and sentimental value.

Some people think natural diamonds are a waste of natural and human resources and the demand is created through marketing and the scarcity and reverence inflated. That's valid as well.

For me personally, I am a natural stone person. I know some people don't care if a stone is natural or lab created. I just prefer to have a natural stone created by nature rather than in a lab. For colored stones I especially like the natural stones because I like seeing the stone's natural characteristics, such as in Emeralds. The created colored stones look too clear, but to each his own.

Natural for me. If there was no other option I would gladly have accepted a lab-created one, but real diamonds do not have to cost the earth these days (assuming cost is a factor here which it may not be). Also, here in Europe the size of the diamond is not as important so, in my opinion, if affordability is an issue, it is better to get a much smaller but genuine diamond rather than lab-created stone.

Natural. My birthstone is diamond and the little imperfections are what make each diamond unique and the flawless ones all the more valuable--because they aren't all just flawless/cookie cutter/etc.

I'm all for it. Some people feel very strongly about diamonds and to some it's just a ring, a symbol that you are someone's possession. Much like vegetarians and vegans, there are people who feel very strongly about how diamonds come to be in that lovely glass case you see them in.
As much as I love nice things, I would be floored if my boyfriend spent $10,000 on a ring. I can honestly tell you right now I'd make him take it back.
I think the most important thing is to be more concerned with having an impressive marriage and life together rather than an impressive ring.
*Are you getting engaged? If so, congratulations - in advance, of course*

For me personally, I am a natural stone person. I know some people don't care if a stone is natural or lab created. I just prefer to have a natural stone created by nature rather than in a lab. For colored stones I especially like the natural stones because I like seeing the stone's natural characteristics, such as in Emeralds. The created colored stones look too clear, but to each his own.

This exactly.

Nah. It's my friend who recently got engaged. Her fiancé gave her a synthetic diamond which was on sale. Had a court wedding, spent their honeymoon at a hot spring. He is a nice guy but I feel bad for my friend because if it was me I would not marry the guy. But who am I to judge?

Nah. It's my friend who recently got engaged. Her fiancé gave her a synthetic diamond which was on sale. Had a court wedding, spent their honeymoon at a hot spring. He is a nice guy but I feel bad for my friend because if it was me I would not marry the guy. But who am I to judge?

That's a bit harsh though. I mean sure, we all want a fairytale wedding, but not marrying a guy you love only because he didn't got you a perfect wedding and a synthetic diamond?