Synthetic/artificial grass?

1. We're in Phoenix, so it is a massive headache to irrigate/maintain/re-seed two small patches of grass twice a year. The irrigation system keeps breaking and flooding and the grass in the front is all dead anyway. I'm at my wits end and ready to rip it all out and put in fake grass. It would be pricey (have about 1000 sg ft of lawn to do) but would it be worth it? How does it hold up? We don't have dogs or kids so it would purely be aesthetic as we like the pop of green in an otherwise natural desert yard.

2. Have you ruled out succulents or other ground cover better suited to the climate? Or mostly gravel with some container plants?

3. Fake grass as in the stuff the Brady Bunch family had?

4. Would fake grass hold up to the Phoenix sun? I think you could do something attractive with succulents, by turning the area into a garden with a gravel trail throughout. Out here in the pacific northwest lots of people are using tumbled crushed colored glass to make their trails through the garden.

There are some pretty cool succulents, like the spiral Aloe!

spiralaloe.jpg
  5. Thanks everyone. The fake grass actually looks pretty authentic now and is supposed to do ok in the Phoenix sun.

We do have some natural desert landscaping but the grass contrasts so well with the concrete cutouts in the yard. This photo is the front courtyard BEFORE the house went into foreclosure from the previous owners:
    [​IMG]
    And this sad picture is how the front yard looked once we got it:
    [​IMG]

The irrigation system keeps breaking and we've never been able to get the grass as pretty as it was. It's not a huge area but it adds a nice dose of color since the house is gray and black and the desert landscape is mostly beige with some green cacti. Besides the grass none of the yard requires irrigation. Lawd I would love to get away from it.

6. You know in that "before" foreclosure photo it looks like sod was recently rolled out and it just never took hold properly, i.e., grew a deep root system. That's one reason it went brown on you. The dirt underneath might be too sandy to hold moisture. Adding a lot of organic matter, i.e., compost, might be one solution. You wouldn't have to dig up the grass, such as it is. Just spread a little on top every year until you get some decent soil established.

I agree that it doesn't look like the best spot for grass, since there are concrete walls on all three sides that are going to deflect heat onto the ground. Reminds me of the inner courtyards in the grade school buildings where I went to school as a kid, they could never get grass to grow in them.

I agree that a nice succulent garden with a curvy path and colored gravel would give those big windows a nice view. I've heard that certain varieties of roses also do very well in the Arizona heat.

7. We are in Phoenix as well and have synthetic grass in our backyard and we love it! It's incredibly easy to upkeep, the Gardner just runs the leaf blower over it and if there's a haboob, rinses it lol!

My brother installed synthetic grass in one area, under their play set and around their in-ground trampoline, because he wanted to add thick padding underneath the so the little ones don't get hurt...it's pretty awesome! It's like walking on a grass cloud!!! But my point is, on the other side of the yard he has real grass and you can't even tell the difference until your standing on it! And only a bike trail of stones separates the two!!!

Most people can't tell it's fake until we tell them, I wish our darn HOA wasn't crazy strict so we can cover our front yard with it as well!!! :sad:

8. I urge you to work with the natural environment and climate. Fake is fake and there are so many other options.

You have mostly right angles and hard lines in your yard and I think that creating softer, curving lines with sculptural elements, rocks, paths and native plants will be so much more beautiful and sensitive to your environment.

9. Love the house. Please show more pictures of it.

10. Lovely home!
    We are relandscaping & considering strips of fake grass. Mixed in with desert landscaping. Fake grass is not like it used to be, they've improved it tremendously.
    Love the succulents but they can be touchy too. Depends on how much sun your home gets.

Does the Phoenix water department pay you to take out your real grass like they do in Vegas? Have to jump through some hoops to get it done but might be worth it.

Desert climates & real grass = huge shameful waste of water. With real grass, fountains etc had $900 per month waterbills -7 years ago.

11. love the house! i know from sporting events with my kids, the turf can really hold heat...and i'd be cautious if it is an area that doesn't have a cross-breeze (it looks like it might be a courtyard).

we live a few miles from the ocean, but even on a mild day in the 70s...the turf is hot.

it looks beautiful, but is a definite temperature difference....

i'd probably do some decomposed granite and succulent plantings. we have an old 1960s home that we re-did in arizona, and the variety of beautiful desert plants is astounding.

12. Yes... the succulents/cacti aren't exactly low maintenance/low water, especially when first transplanted. We put in a few large cholla, organ pipe cacti, prickly pears, etc. in the back yard last winter and we were told to irrigate them well for the first 6-8 months. They are established now and should do fine on their own.

My goal is to get away from all irrigation; it is wasteful, unnecessary, expensive, and a PITA. I do believe there is some sort of rebate from the city of PHX for putting in the fake grass.

13. More photos! The backstory might help. We first looked at the home just after it was remodeled and was a traditional sale. They were asking WAY too much for it and although we loved it, it was too much. So because I wasn't going to sell my condo, we were able to leisurely shop for a home. We kept thinking about this house - the very first one we looked at. My realtor and I stalked it online the whole time and watched the price drop and drop and eventually go into foreclosure once they gave up. The POS owners stripped the home and removed everything but the walls. It came back on the market as a bank-owned home about a year later at a smoking price but it literally needed everything. They stole all the appliances, the hot water heater, the sinks and faucets, the thermostats, the closet shelving, down to the door handles and stupid rings that go in recessed lights and even the river rock out of the yard. Well, I like a challenge and I LOVE a deal. :smile: It took a little over two months from close to move in ready.

This is pre-foreclosure:
    [​IMG]

After foreclosure:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Now!
    [​IMG]

14. Kitchen before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now - the photos are crappy - but the kitchen doesn't really get photographed because it is the weakest link in the house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Stunning house, I could live in it and love it. The design feels so modern and comfortable. It sounds like the house was meant to be yours. Congratulations and continue to post more pictures of different rooms. The house kind of reminds me a little of one of my houses in Florida. We had those tall windows by the roof line which let in lots of light.