Swimming/bathing in Cartier BB or tank?

Jvj13

Feb 14, 2020
I have a yg ballon Bleu (also a tank I’m wondering about too) and a very active lifestyle of hiking swimming bathing babies etc and I’ve been taking the watch off for it all but I rlly don’t do well with things I have to take off! I end up not wearing them, and this watch is very special and sentimental to me I want to wear it. Does anyone do light swimming or bathing in their Cartier watches? Pic of her on the trail with me before I took it off to go swimming in an alpine lake!

D89310A1-160F-4660-8E6B-CED4D216C57D.jpeg

I have a YG Tank Solo on an alligator strap and have gone swimming wearing the watch a few times. It’s definitely not recommended, and I only did it at the time because it was better to risk damage to the watch than risk loss or theft since I had nowhere to store it for a spontaneous swim. Nothing happened to my watch, and it would probably be fine to do in a pinch. But I wouldn’t recommend doing it especially for the outdoor activities that you are participating in unless you are willing to pay for any service that need be in case of damage.

Reactions: gagabag and Jvj13
I have a YG Tank Solo on an alligator strap and have gone swimming wearing the watch a few times. It’s definitely not recommended, and I only did it at the time because it was better to risk damage to the watch than risk loss or theft since I had nowhere to store it for a spontaneous swim. Nothing happened to my watch, and it would probably be fine to do in a pinch. But I wouldn’t recommend doing it especially for the outdoor activities that you are participating in unless you are willing to pay for any service that need be in case of damage.
You mean like you wouldn’t wear it hiking? Darn. Woulda gotten the Rolex had I known water and stuff was such an issue! My fault for not doing my due diligence.

Oh I wasn’t talking chlorine! I meant lakes and my babies bath time. POSSIBLY beach and salt water pools. Thinking more about the water than the chemicals.

At any rate, I still would not swim in my Cartier watch. Water-resistant doesn't really mean you should swim in the watch. Most Cartier watches provide minimal water-resistance according to the industry, usually at 3 atmospheres - meaning, it really can withstand some rain and splashes of water, and only brief immersion in water. Over time, this can cause damage to the watch due to the pressure. You should consult Cartier to be sure.

You mean like you wouldn’t wear it hiking? Darn. Woulda gotten the Rolex had I known water and stuff was such an issue! My fault for not doing my due diligence.
I meant water related activities. Personally, I would wear it hiking because I live in my jewelry. If you're a risk taker, just wear the watch and hope for the best lol. I wear my VCA MOP Alhambra bracelet 24/7 even though it's not recommended and experience no issues. So it may be fine to be a little loose with your watch but as beautiful as Cartier is, it's definitely not waterproof like a Rolex. Just make sure the crown is closed if swimming and be prepared in case of damage.

Reactions: Jvj13 and Chaton
I cannot remember the exact language but I do recall when I got my tank that the instructions basically said, don’t do anything more than wash dishes with this watch on and please don’t wear it washing dishes. It made me laugh.

They definitely don’t recommend you get it wet.

Jvj13,

Your Cartier watch is beautiful!

I have had a stainless steel Tank Francaise for several years. I wear it frequently and it has been splashed with water and submerged in a jewelry cleaning machine several times.

To date, I have not had any mechanical issues with it, but the case and bracelet are showing normal signs of wear.

While I would not recommend wearing the watch in active or wet situations (especially since it has sentimental value to you), I do think the watch would survive them (at least in the short term). It would probably be a good idea to have the watch serviced by Cartier every couple of years and have the watch gaskets replaced to help keep the watch water resistant.

I can't imagine wearing a watch with an alligator strap in the water. My Hermes watch has an alligator (or croc) band it has water marks from washing my hands. I wear my waterproof watches in showers/gym etc. but not others. Just easier to take it off or wear a different watch.

Reactions: 880
I would never wear my Cartier watches swimming or in the rain etc. and definitely cover it with a long sleeve/coat when raining. I only wear Rolex for swimming/water situations. I would get a good Rolex for your "beater" watch. They are built like tanks.

Reactions: 880