Sweet vs Vintage Alhambra Necklace

mimika

live life!
O.G.
Feb 27, 2009
My husband is getting me a VCA necklace for birthday. Our engage ring is VCA but I never bought any other VCA jewellery before. I am debating between the sweet vs vintage alhambra. What are your thoughts other than size? Which one do you think should be your first VCA necklace? Also what is everyone's opinion on gold vs white gold for the alhambra?

Also question on the sweet - I see the pendant is connected by only one hook to the chain whereas the vintage is connected on 2 sides. Would the sweet alhambra pendant flips easily? Thank you!

Reactions: hongphuc.585
Hello! Congrats on this, choosing what you like is a wonderful part of the process, especially if it’s VCA.

Hard to tell on color etc. without more details on your complexion and what colors you wear, but in terms of size in most cases I’d say go for Vintage. Sweet is kind of too dainty as a necklace on most women (unless you layer or are really petite). Vintage can really be an item you’d wear forever.

Also what’s important to consider is do you or don’t want to take the necklace off everyday - this will help narrow the choice of design as well.

More inputs would help, otherwise good luck with your choice!

Hi! I chose the sweet Alhambra in solid rose gold as my first (and only) VCA piece. I am petite, 5’3” and 120lbs and larger jewelry overwhelms me. I wanted a subtle, every day piece I wouldn’t have to worry about and I’m so happy with my choice. I think eventually I may go for a vintage size to layer or pair with my sweet, but I think if I were to choose a vintage size pendant, I would choose a stone rather than solid gold. The sweet size doesn’t flip, but the clasp is heavier at the back and tends to creep up to the front at times throughout the day. It doesn’t bother me though. Good luck with your choice!! Either way, you can’t really go wrong.

Hello! Congrats on this, choosing what you like is a wonderful part of the process, especially if it’s VCA.

Hard to tell on color etc. without more details on your complexion and what colors you wear, but in terms of size in most cases I’d say go for Vintage. Sweet is kind of too dainty as a necklace on most women (unless you layer or are really petite). Vintage can really be an item you’d wear forever.

Also what’s important to consider is do you or don’t want to take the necklace off everyday - this will help narrow the choice of design as well.

More inputs would help, otherwise good luck with your choice!

Thank your for your input! I am very excited :smile: I do tend to take off my necklace everyday as I like to change up what I wear. Just curious how would that impact my choice?

Definitely vintage Alhambra for wearing long term. I think which metal depends on what you like most with your skin tone and wardrobe. My rings are platinum and I look best in white metals, so I am mainly collecting white gold at least in onyx and mother of pearl. But the onyx doesn't come in the VA pendant in white gold unless you special order and pay a higher price.

Reactions: etudes
Thank your for your input! I am very excited :smile: I do tend to take off my necklace everyday as I like to change up what I wear. Just curious how would that impact my choice?

You’re welcome!
That broadens your choice in terms of stones - you can go with MOP or even Malachite that are on the more fragile side (should not be exposed to water, etc.). So I guess you just need to decide on metal color and then stone, and ideally try some options on.

my first VCA is Vintage Alhambra necklace in Onyx yellow gold.
I wear the neck lace every day since April 2017 ..
Money well spend .... the only regret is I didn't get my necklace extend.
Now I am looking for second VCA necklace to wear as layer ...

Reactions: fdc
Does anyone stack their sweet and vintage necklaces? I have a tiger eye vintage and am debating about adding a sweet for stacking. I wasn’t sure if the necklace would tangle though. Thoughts?

Does anyone stack their sweet and vintage necklaces? I have a tiger eye vintage and am debating about adding a sweet for stacking. I wasn’t sure if the necklace would tangle though. Thoughts?
I'm not big on layering 2 diff pieces together for that sole reason: Tangling. I hate having to untangle throughout the day. I've never tried layering 2 VCA pieces though so maybe they will work out better for you.

Yes, I’m layering sweet MOP with vintage guilloche. They tend to tangle vert badly, but to avoid it I just hook two necklaces to each other and no issues whatsoever.

My husband is getting me a VCA necklace for birthday. Our engage ring is VCA but I never bought any other VCA jewellery before. I am debating between the sweet vs vintage alhambra. What are your thoughts other than size? Which one do you think should be your first VCA necklace? Also what is everyone's opinion on gold vs white gold for the alhambra?

Also question on the sweet - I see the pendant is connected by only one hook to the chain whereas the vintage is connected on 2 sides. Would the sweet alhambra pendant flips easily? Thank you!

I prefer sweet to vintage as I like dainty jewelry. It’s beautiful on its own and can be easily layered. Sweet size chain does move around, thus you can see the lock at front. Vintage size requires occasional adjustments of a motif as well as it tends to move a bit to the sides. Both gold and white gold are beautiful and a matter of one’s taste.

I’d go with vintage. I purchased two sweets for my two daughters when they were young. My oldest (12) wore it the other day and I mentioned to my husband that the pendant now looks tiny on her, that I should’ve just purchased vintage sizes for them.

For a necklace, definitely the vintage! I am petite and prefer the sweet earrings and bracelets but the vintage necklace is the way to go. I agree with a PP that stated they regretted getting it extended. I got my one and only vintage necklace at the beginning of my VCA journey and didn't know it was an option. My only caveat to this that if you ever consider pave, the sweet is probably my choice over the vintage.

To me, the color gold is personal choice. You cant go wrong there.