Food Sweet Potato Time

maxter

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006
Recipes from today's WSJ. From the family of George Wooten, president of the United States Sweet Potato Council and a grower/processor from Chadbourn, N.C.

I thought these were out of the ordinary and not your average sweet potato recipes:

Sweet Potato Pudding This recipe was provided by Mr. Wooten's mother-in-law, Ruth Kissam, and aunt-in-law, Thelma Stone.

1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup self-rising flour
cinnamon and allspice for flavor
3 to 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes (boil or bake before mashing)

• Pre-heat your oven to 350 or 375 degrees.
• Combine the sugar and butter, and then stir in the eggs.
• Next add the cinnamon and allspice. Then add the mashed sweet potatoes are next, and then the self-rising flour. Last to get stirred in is the milk because you do not want it to get soupy; it needs to be similar to the consistency of brownie batter.
• Spray a large baking pan. Lay the mixture in it 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick. Bake it until it is brown around the edges. This can also be poured into a pie crust if preferred.

Sweet Potato Casserole Mr. Wooten's niece, Georgia King, makes this dish each year for Thanksgiving.

2 lbs (about four or five) sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs beaten
1 can evaporated milk (5.33 oz)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the topping:
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 stick of butter, melted

• Mix all the ingredients for the casserole together except for the topping and place into an 8x10 casserole dish.
• Stir the ingredients for the topping with a fork and crumble on top.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Pecan-Crusted Sweet Potatoes From Sandra E. Kays, wife of Stanley Kays, professor of horticulture at the University of Georgia.

5 sweet potatoes
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

• Clean sweet potatoes with a vegetable brush.
• Place in a cold oven, set the temperature to 400 degrees and bake for 70 minutes.
• Cool, remove skins and mash with water and salt.
• Spoon into a two-quart casserole. Smooth across the top and sprinkle with brown sugar.
• Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
• Sprinkle chopped pecans on top and bake for a further 15 minutes or until heated through.

Serves 6-8

Sweet Potato Soup for a Crowd From Jack D. Osman, health science professor at Towson University, Towson, Md.

10-12 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled, chunked, steamed and processed smooth
1 quart of water (adjust to thickness of soup desired)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
8 chicken bullion cubes
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
4 ounces of frozen orange juice concentrate
6 ounces of frozen apple juice concentrate
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoons basil
Optional: garlic or garlic powder, to taste

• Cook over low stove temperature for 30 minutes, stirring at five-minute intervals.
• Ten minutes before serving add two cups of uncooked, diced sweet potato (1/4th inch cubes, tip of pinky finger size) and one cup of thinly sliced apples (1/8th inch thick, 1/2 inch long, scrub skins, leave on).
Optional:
• Top with ground peanuts floating atop each bowl
• Top with finely diced crystallized ginger -- 1/8th inch cubes -- adds a nice kick!

This recipe can probably serve 30 people and freezes nicely.

Sweet Potato Apple-Raisin-Mandarin Orange Delight

One pound of small, long sweet potatoes, peeled if desired
Juice from one can of mandarin oranges, or orange juice
Two to three apples (different varieties), peeled if desired and cut into chunks
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon

• Slice sweet potatoes one-fourth inch thick.
• Place into medium hot frying pan with only enough oil to do the job.
• Fry on both sides for 5-7 minutes, reducing heat to low-medium.
• Add apples to frying pan.
• Add the orange juice, brown sugar and raisins or cranberries.
• Simmer five to ten minutes over low heat.
• Add the cinnamon.
• Cover and simmer until apples are soften.
• Add mandarin oranges for the last three minutes.

Optional: Chopped walnuts or pecans, orange liqueur

This is a recipe I use:

Sweet Potato Crunch

For the Sweet Potatoes
2 1lb can of yams, drained
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
½ cup (1 stick) butter melted

For the Topping*:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large bowl, blend together yams, sugar, eggs, vanilla and butter with an electric mixer. It will be a bit lumpy.

Pour mixture into a 2 ½ quart casserole dish and set aside.

In a separate bow combine topping until crumbly. Spread over mixture.

Bake 30-40 minutes

Serves 8-10

* Do not double the topping if doubling the recipe for the sweet potatoes. It becomes too thick and will not melt as it should in the oven.

I am a total sweet potato fiend. I will eat them however they are prepared.

^ Me too!!!! :yahoo:

We usually just roast them plain, but this year I'm trying something different. I'm in the mood for the really sugary, marshmallowy kind, so.....

I peeled, sliced and boiled a ton of yams. Then I whipped them with butter, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon and spread it into a casserole dish. It's sitting in the fridge right now, but tomorrow I'm going to bring it to room temp, top it with loads marshmallows and bake it until it gets all bubbly :graucho:

i tried a recipe off cooks.com tonite, a sweet potatoe recipe....i was very afraid to go off from the recipe(im a beginner cook)...even tough it said 1lb of brown sugar~!! per 6 sweet potatoes!!

it tasted so badly...maybe bc it said candided sweet potatoes??

^ Me too!!!! :yahoo:

We usually just roast them plain, but this year I'm trying something different. I'm in the mood for the really sugary, marshmallowy kind, so.....

I peeled, sliced and boiled a ton of yams. Then I whipped them with butter, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon and spread it into a casserole dish. It's sitting in the fridge right now, but tomorrow I'm going to bring it to room temp, top it with loads marshmallows and bake it until it gets all bubbly :graucho:

You're making me drool.:drool: