Sweet alhambra necklace for a 12year old

deedeedor

O.G.
Dec 3, 2011
I am choosing between the below two option for a twelve year old girl birthday gift.

I feel this is such an important birthday and I would like to gift her something special. She loves white gold and loves four leave clovers.

sweet size is a good size for her age now but she might soon outgrown the size. Vintage is a great size for her to grow with but might be too loud for her as a twelve year old.

please share your thoughts

1)the sweet alhambra diamond paved single motif necklace in white gold

A513B00F-F4DA-42D9-8303-2348E30F6B90.jpeg

Or the

2) vintage size

350B0CB2-9151-4C12-804C-9194289384C0.jpeg

I wouldn't get a pave sweet for a 12 year old. You are right that she will outgrow it. The vintage pave is better for an adult and for longterm. I agree with cafecreme15 that a pendant from Tiffany in silver or white gold would be a better choice for a 12-16 year old. I also didn't want my daughters taking fine jewelry to college, so all nicer fine jewelry gifts began at college graduation.

I bought my daughter the butterfly sweet bracelet in mop for her 12th birthday. I think it’s a great piece and she will always remember the occasion. I think sweets even when older can be great layering pieces.

My daughter loves it and is very responsible with it. I think it would be the perfect gift for your 12 year old

I would not buy a pave VCA piece for a twelve year old, personally; however, as you are asking opinions on the necklace and not the actual act of giving this gift....... between the two options, I would go with the Sweet. I think it's a lovely piece to layer as she gets older, so she can grow with it in that capacity. I'll echo the post above me, also, that I would worry about a child wearing an expensive piece like this that could be recognized by someone. My guess is that most people who *would* know what it is would assume that a 12 year old girl would be wearing a necklace that's just made to look like VCA, but you never know. :hrmm:

This is such an incredibly generous gift, but I also agree with other posters that I would be wary about giving a 12 year old girl a gift like that due to the risk of loss or breakage. I'm sure there are girls out there who will take care of it, but like another poster mentioned, it might draw too much attention to her. Plus while I understand you want to be as generous as possible, I'm honestly not sure a 12 year old even understands or appreciates the value or significance of VCA.

As you said she likes white gold and clovers, what about getting a pendant like this: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/731352707/14k-diamond-clover-necklace-diamond It's a clover, in white gold, with diamonds, and dainty, something a little girl would appreciate.

This is such an incredibly generous gift, but I also agree with other posters that I would be wary about giving a 12 year old girl a gift like that due to the risk of loss or breakage. I'm sure there are girls out there who will take care of it, but like another poster mentioned, it might draw too much attention to her. Plus while I understand you want to be as generous as possible, I'm honestly not sure a 12 year old even understands or appreciates the value or significance of VCA.

As you said she likes white gold and clovers, what about getting a pendant like this: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/731352707/14k-diamond-clover-necklace-diamond It's a clover, in white gold, with diamonds, and dainty, something a little girl would appreciate.

Also, if your nice jewelry at TWELVE is VCA, where do you go from there? HW at 13? You're likely setting her up for an unrealistic expectation for quality, and PAVE even(!), for almost all other jewelry that she will buy and wear as a teenager and likely in college too (I'm assuming she is not purchasing any further VCA pieces on her own, being that she is 12). I second the idea of a simpler Tiffany silver necklace to start with, and you would have a ton of options. You can see how she takes care of it to better inform further jewelry purchases for her. Even that is an incredibly nice gift for a pre-teen! If I recall for my 12th birthday, it was a fun day at the wave pool with friends with very reasonable, appropriate gifts. Then again, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth so...

Last edited:
Dear All, thank you so much for taking your time and giving me insightful advice. I truly appreciate your honest opinion. All the pros and cons are taken into consideration carefully.

I remember when I was little, my parents travels a lot. Each time they come back, they would bring me a small souvenir that I truly treasure.

On my twelve year old birthday, mom came back from overseas and brought me a white gold double heart necklace. It was probably my first piece of real jewelry. I remember it was dainty and cute and when the two heart knock on each other it made beautiful sound. Till today I still remember the sound and how surprise and happy I was. It was memory that stays with me for years and years.

I wore that necklace for many years everyday, travel and all that. Eventually I outgrown it and put it away. But that fond memory stays with me. The necklace is now sitting in my safebox in the bank. I took it out sometimes and many times I wanted to wear it again like when I was little, but take it off always as it really does not fit me anymore.

Maybe my love for the nice jewelry making me wanting the best for my 12-year-old so she can treasure the memory and grow with it. She never bribes or show off what she’s got. Rather she feels like she is wearing my energy whenever she goes.

she started to travel around the world since she was 8 month old and developed high level of independence. I have full confidence in her that she will take care of this important piece of jewelry. ( like she’s been taking care of many other pieces she’s already gotten).

So for this year, I would like to give her something sentimental but also she can grow with and wear for manymany years. So that my energy and blessings can always be with her.

she can be wearing this piece on important events as she does many musical performance on stage through out the year. Wear it during school breaks. Maybe leave it at home on regular school days.

As she grow older, she can wear it more regularly or become her daily piece.

That’s where I am coming from.

but not all birthday gifts are materialistic, part of the birthday gift i am preparing for her this year is my hand painting story book about her twelve years of journey. Hope I can get it to print in hard cover book in the next few weeks

thank you all so much for you inputs! Blessings

Your intentions for your daughter are so sweet.
I personally would go with a piece that would work for her now and not be concerned about the future. Tastes change over time so there is no guarantee her adult self will want to wear whatever piece you buy now. You guarantee she enjoys the piece now while memories are forming, just as you did with the heart necklace.
I think the vintage size pave pendant is too big and blingy for a 12 year old to wear. I would not feel comfortable with my own daughter wearing one. I might consider a stone vintage pendant but it would depend on her frame. The sweets are a more suitable size for kids if you are looking at the vca line.