sweaty hands and palm peps :(

Feb 5, 2008
As I am typing this, my hands are super sweaty~

It's so gross! I hate it! Sometimes it's not even "hot" and I sweat. On my feet sometimes too!

Is there anyway to stop this problem besides keeping the a/c and fan on?

:crybaby:

It is so embarassing sometimes, when people ask to borrow my pen/pencil, when I am asked to sign a paper and my hand makes a sweat print...

Sigh :Push:
It makes me want to go through those removal of sweat gland procedures...

I have suffered with this my ENTIRE life and relate to every single thing you said. As a kid, I used to get major anxiety in church (I went to Catholic school) each week during the sign of peace (when you have to shake the hands of those around you) because my hands were always sweaty. I used to wipe them off on my little Catholic School uniform, and the more I worried, the worse they got. Holding a boy's hand in high school worried me to no end. Turning in a test paper was always awful too because my paper would always be soaking wet!

It was always weird that this happened because I am not (and am sure you're not) a sweaty person in general. As I got older, I learned that this was a side effect of Lupus, which I was diagnosed with ten years ago. When I get an inflammation, my hands get sweaty and gunky and typing on my computer is a gross experience. Sweaty feet are the worst though, especially in the summer when I like to wear open toed shoes and flip-flips. :crybaby:

Sometimes I use Certain Dri and it helps. You can buy it at pharmacies in the deodorant section. If it gets really bad, it helps to run my hands under cold water. I also used to put some baby powder on my feet each morning. I wish I could offer more help, but I wanted to let you know that I totally sympathize with you!

It's the weirdest thing. I don't think it has to do with anything.. Saturday and Sunday.. no matter what I did.. I couldn't get rid of that sweaty sticky feeling on my hands. I washed them like 20 times.

And then other days.. there as dry and smooth as can be. I think it has something to do with body chemistry.. that day. Like getting a zit or something.. because I am normally not like that.. but yet.. sometimes... it happens.

I have suffered with this my ENTIRE life and relate to every single thing you said. As a kid, I used to get major anxiety in church (I went to Catholic school) each week during the sign of peace (when you have to shake the hands of those around you) because my hands were always sweaty. I used to wipe them off on my little Catholic School uniform, and the more I worried, the worse they got. Holding a boy's hand in high school worried me to no end. Turning in a test paper was always awful too because my paper would always be soaking wet!

It was always weird that this happened because I am not (and am sure you're not) a sweaty person in general. As I got older, I learned that this was a side effect of Lupus, which I was diagnosed with ten years ago. When I get an inflammation, my hands get sweaty and gunky and typing on my computer is a gross experience. Sweaty feet are the worst though, especially in the summer when I like to wear open toed shoes and flip-flips. :crybaby:

Sometimes I use Certain Dri and it helps. You can buy it at pharmacies in the deodorant section. If it gets really bad, it helps to run my hands under cold water. I also used to put some baby powder on my feet each morning. I wish I could offer more help, but I wanted to let you know that I totally sympathize with you!

Yay, I am not a lonely sweating freak or wierdo :wlae:

Thanks so much for posting your experience here to share with me! I do feel much better now... LOL, as I am still sweating as I type this.

I'M NOT A SWEATY PERSON EITHER! I don't sweat on my pits or head or body... JUST MY HANDS AND FEET :sad:

I :heart: the summer time, but due to this sweatyness of mine, I hate it!

Winter come now! Dry me up~

And about holding boys hands... hahahaha, because I usually date funny CLOWNs, the boys don't mind, instead they laugh it off, thank goodness :roflmfao:

I am the exact same way. My hands & feet are always clammy and damp. I have bad circulation so my hands and feet are always cold too. I hate shaking hands and when I wear flip-flops my feet sometimes squeak. I can totally relate.

I have this too, it's called hyperhidrosis. It's thought to be caused by an overactive sympathetic nervous system. It could be winter and freezing, and my hands and feet are still sweating. When I was in first grade, my teacher used to have a special little clothesline outside the class that she would hang my papers to dry after I wrote an assignment in class. I used to cry because I felt like a freak. Over the years I've learned to deal with it, but I HATE social situations when I have to meet people and shake their hands. I'll actually avoid meeting people just so that I don't have to shake their hands. When I was little I wished I was Japanese so that I could just bow and no one would have to touch my hand. It's a silly thought, but I was made fun of so badly for sweaty hands as a kid. I also can't wear cute sandals in summer because my feet would get sweaty, so I have to wear ballet flats with little no show socks. It's like my body thinks this whole thing is funny, because sometimes I can go like a month without sweating, then BAM back to wet hands and feet. The amount that I sweat also varies. Sometimes it's a little dampness and other times it's really bad. I've tried to find what triggers it, but no luck.

People always tell me "oh it's no big deal, it's just sweating" but they don't know what a pain in the butt it is to have to deal with it. I've tried iontophoresis for it, but it burns so badly and makes my palms peel. I've tried sleeping with prescription deodorant on under gloves, but it also burns and makes my palms peel. I've gone to a Chinese homeopathic doctor and she gave me a whole bunch of gross crap that I had to boil and drink, and it did nothing. I've also tried yoga because I thought it was an anxiety thing, but that didn't help. It's actually genetic in some cases and thyroid related in others, so I would recommend going to your doctor and asking him to measure your thyroid levels. If it's your thyroid, then meds will help. In my case it's genetic, my grandpa and my mom had it. When it's genetic, nothing will cure it unfortunately. I can't afford botox yet, but once I can I'm def. getting it no matter how much it hurts. Botox seems like the only thing that will work 100% without serious side effects. Don't get ETS surgery, your hands and feet will become bone dry and you'll start compensatory sweating all over your body like your back and face, which IMO is worse than the hands and feet. I've read stories from people who have had this and a lot of them regret it when sweat starts dripping down their faces 24/7.

The International Hyperhidrosis Society has a great e-newsletter that they send out, I recommend signing up for it. They talk about new research that's being done and last year they even offered free botox to people under 17 as part of a research study. http://www.sweathelp.org/English/PFF_SweatSolutions_Archive.asp

As a kid, I used to get major anxiety in church (I went to Catholic school) each week during the sign of peace (when you have to shake the hands of those around you) because my hands were always sweaty. I used to wipe them off on my little Catholic School uniform, and the more I worried, the worse they got.

Wow I could have written the EXACT same thing. I used to try to sit near teachers so that I could shake their hands because I know they wouldn't say anything. Those damn uniforms were not that absorbent! Sometimes if my hands were sweating really badly I would just clasp my hand and close my eyes and pretend I was still praying. I still can't hear "peace be with you" without getting a little nervous. My favorite thing to wear is an entire terry cloth Juicy suit, it's like one big towel!

i have sweaty hands too...But I dont care anymore...
my brother has sweaty hands when he was young he told my mother "Mommy, can you take me to the doctors?? I want him to give me medicine for sweaty hands"

I think my x (doctor) told me that there is a medicine for sweaty hands. You should ask your doctor if you really have problem with it

i dont have sweaty palms, but one of my close friend in high school did. i remember she would always complain that her hands kept sweating and how it was bothersome to write long essays (her paper would be damp when she turns them in).

i remember she always carried around a handkerchief to wipe off the sweat on her palms. i havent heard from her in a while so im not sure whether she has done anything medically to treat it. but if you dont wanna hassle to see a doctor, maybe the handkerchief would be a cheaper alternative. hope that helps.

You are not alone!

My DH has a joke whenever he holds my hand.."sweaty palms,activate!!!" then my hands get all wet! lol.

I find that carrying & using hand sanitzer kinda helps when my hands are sweaty. The alcohol dries up my hands a bit.