Swagger vs Dreamer vs Parker?

May 17, 2006
I have been mildly obsessed with getting a black leather bag with black (or dark gunmetal) hardware lately, and I'm seriously considering the Swagger (pre-loved because ti doesn't look like it's actually available now), Dreamer, and/or Parker. I initially wanted a shoulder bag with flap, and I know only the Parker fits that description, but I saw photos of the Swagger and Dreamer and kind of am obsessing with those too. I'm now kind of thinking maybe I'll get the Swagger or Dreamer in addition to the Parker, but part of me feels like that's overkill, and I should just choose one of the three.

I know they are very different bags, but any thoughts, experiences, or recommendations among the three? I am typically a large tote, carry my life type of girl, but I'm trying to break out of that...

The Swagger doesn’t have any outside pockets while the Dreamer has two. So if you like pockets the Dreamer works better. I personally like the Dreamer a lot. You can put quite a bit in there but it also works when you don’t carry a lot.

I struggled with the Swagger because everything had to go in the one main compartment for the most part, and it was a little big in the depth.

The Parker is beautiful but isn’t as functional, and doesn’t hold as much as the others. But it is pretty :smile:

Reactions: couchette
Oh boy, my Ebay browsing just led me to discovering the Drifter, and now that's on my list as well. I'm trying to narrow down my list but instead it just keeps growing! Any thoughts on the Drifter?

I haven't followed Coach closely for years, and I had no clue they did so many gorgeous black bags with black hardware. I have no idea how I'll choose!

Reactions: SEWDimples
I own a Parker and several Swaggers, but I seem to use my Parker more. It is great for going out. I use my Swaggers more for work. I own a few Drifters as well and they are great for work.
Here are a few pictures.
Parker with quilting and rivets
IMG_1148.jpg
Colorblock Large Swagger and Apricot Double Swagger
DSCN1843.jpg

Chambray Double Swagger (Retail store)
IMG_0673.jpg

Flax Drifter Top Handle
DSCN2071.jpg

Grey Birch and Saddle Drifter Carryall

DSCN2128.jpg

Chambray Tea Rose Swagger 27 (returned)
DSCN2483.jpg

I own a Parker and several Swaggers, but I seem to use my Parker more. It is great for going out. I use my Swaggers more for work. I own a few Drifters as well and they are great for work.
Here are a few pictures.
Parker with quilting and rivets
View attachment 4342032
Colorblock Large Swagger and Apricot Double Swagger
View attachment 4342033

Chambray Double Swagger (Retail store)
View attachment 4342035

Flax Drifter Top Handle
View attachment 4342036

Grey Birch and Saddle Drifter Carryall

View attachment 4342042

Chambray Tea Rose Swagger 27 (returned)
View attachment 4342049

Gorgeous bags! You have the exact Parker I'm considering. I'm glad to hear you love it!

Would you mind speaking about the Drifter top handle vs the Drifter Carryall? I love the look of both, but I have no clue which one I would prefer if I go the Drifter route...

Reactions: SEWDimples
I love my Parker, I can fit everything I need on a daily basis inside of it. I also LOVE the Dreamer. I have yet to get one, but it is a great size and a beautiful bag for everyday. I like the Swagger but for me it's very stiff and it does only have the one compartment to put everything in.

Gorgeous bags! You have the exact Parker I'm considering. I'm glad to hear you love it!

Would you mind speaking about the Drifter top handle vs the Drifter Carryall? I love the look of both, but I have no clue which one I would prefer if I go the Drifter route...
I do know the top handle you have to use the flap, the carryall you don't (it opens up). I had the Drifter top handle a long time ago and the flap got on my nerves, but if you don't mind flaps, it will hold a little more than the Parker and doesn't have a center divider in it like the Parker.

Thanks all! I think I'm kind of leaning away from the Swagger...I really like the idea of outside pockets, like the Dreamer has. I am still somewhat tempted though because there are some pre-loved Swaggers at great prices, so it's not completely out of the picture yet... The Drifter is still also a strong contender, as is the Parker and Dreamer. This is going to be a hard decision!

Thanks all! I think I'm kind of leaning away from the Swagger...I really like the idea of outside pockets, like the Dreamer has. I am still somewhat tempted though because there are some pre-loved Swaggers at great prices, so it's not completely out of the picture yet... The Drifter is still also a strong contender, as is the Parker and Dreamer. This is going to be a hard decision!
I have a tooled tea rose swagger that has front and back pockets. I'm not sure if the are other colorways that have the pockets too.

Reactions: holiday123
So, I think I'm leaning towards the Drifter. Really torn between the top handle and the carryall though. If I decide on the top handle, I might actually go for the Faye - from what I've seen, the Faye seems to have been MFF, and I know general consensus is that MFF is not as good as retail bags. But, in photos I've seen, the top handle on the Faye seems longer than the top handle on the Drifter, and it seems the Faye can be worn on the shoulder with the top handle/without the cross body strap. That is super appealing to me since shoulder carry is my preferred carry option, but I do't love a long shoulder strap. Still, if I decide on the top handle, the MFF vs retail debate is a strong consideration.

Of course, I'm super indecisive, and I may be changing my mind on what bag all together in another day or two! :blush::oh:

I like the Dreamer best as it’s easy to carry on your shoulder due to the thinner straps. If you carry your life in your bag hand carry can be hard, also it’s easy to open vs a flap bag. Good luck deciding!

So, I think I'm leaning towards the Drifter. Really torn between the top handle and the carryall though. If I decide on the top handle, I might actually go for the Faye - from what I've seen, the Faye seems to have been MFF, and I know general consensus is that MFF is not as good as retail bags. But, in photos I've seen, the top handle on the Faye seems longer than the top handle on the Drifter, and it seems the Faye can be worn on the shoulder with the top handle/without the cross body strap. That is super appealing to me since shoulder carry is my preferred carry option, but I do't love a long shoulder strap. Still, if I decide on the top handle, the MFF vs retail debate is a strong consideration.

Of course, I'm super indecisive, and I may be changing my mind on what bag all together in another day or two! :blush::oh:
There are people on the forum who love the Faye. Some MFF bags are as nice as retail.

I can appreciate the look of the Dreamer, but it just doesn't suit me. I own a Swagger and Parkers. I would say that a Parker looks more beautiful to me, and could be used for evening or daytime. A Swagger is probably more practical for day to day usage, and it will fit a lot more in.