Suspended for Shill Bidding!

Interesting...

Have you ever been accused of shill bidding before? Or has your sister ever bid on any of your other auctions?

I thought another member had to report a seller for shill bidding, for them to be investigated by eBay...?

In which case, if this is the first time your sister has ever bid on your auctions, how on earth would another eBay member know/suspect that she was connected to you?

The fact that she lives in the same area (if she does), would seem to be pretty flimsy evidence, wouldn't it? :shrugs:

there IS a rule about selling to family members. the same thing happened to me a long time ago when I was in a transaction with someone back east and we had the same last name. NO relation, we just both have common irish last names. we got it worked out and both of us got reinstated quickly. It sure is frustrating.

come to think of it, the rule makes sense... for one, if someone you know is interested, you could just as easily sell it to them offline...

i guess the issue with this is ebay is trying to eliminate the possibility of a "fixed" bidding war - or something to that effect...

Oh ebay is a nightmare at the minute they took down a listing of mine today for an auhentic Thomas Wylde scarf - trade mark violation???????????????????? Furthermore when they do that the listing disappears without trace so you have to start from scratch! & still the place is loaded with fakes - no rhyme or reason to them!

The way ebay is working now with no bidder ids showing only Bidder 1,2,3 etc how would anyone know if there was shill bidding going on?

The only people : E-Bay will know who is bidding.

You will also be amazed at some of the strange things that happen. My son and I are 150 miles apart. We both have access to one aol account. Although he has been on my pc, I have never used his!!!

He runs a website for pool etc. and a few weeks ago, he was elusive with me, LOLOL ~ I decided to go onto the forum and to the chat, to see if he had been online, I also decided (for a lil fun) to add a note to the chat and used the name of our cat ~ only HE would know LOLOL. He was at that time offline, pc off, and I was on my own pc 150 miles away, he went online, onto his page, via his normal means, and his user name comes up as the one I had just created.

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is an impossible thing to work out. There is an IP tracker on his site, which doesnt give us any clue, as to how this happened.

Spooky. So, just be careful with associated accounts. Particularly as EBay don't appear to have a restricted log in, with any other account you would expect to only be able to log in, on one name at any one time, also, despite how many times you get your password/user name wrong, it wont lock you out either. To me these are major loopholes in the Ebay security.

The only thing EBay seem to be good at, is making money, and pulling legit listings and leaving fake ones behind.

:Oops, sorry, didn't intend to write a book.
:hysteric:

I think anyone who is genuinely shill bidding should have their account closed for good. It is a disgusting practice & extremely unfair to the bidder.
A seller asked an ebay aquaintance of mine to place a shill bid for her of course she didn't do it, imagine my horror when I heard this story I had actually purchased an item from that seller so no doubt I paid well over what the price should have been!

ok, sorry for the brief chat earlier.

my account is also suspended for shill bidding. Only, I don't know why! and i am supposedly connected to two other ebayers, whom i dont' know!

ebay will not correspond with me and i dont know what to do but wait! but, from what i hear, even once you wait your 7 days out, they get back to you in their own sweet time with the info of how you go about getting your account reinstated! isn't that some sh1t! its killing me right now!

i am so sorry for your troubles. the worst part, is that they won't even listen. they just make money off of fakes and being an honest and authentic seller just makes you an easy target for ebay. the rip you off left and right.

Even though ebay now has the Bidder 1, 2, 3... now, it is still possible to see what the Bidders bid on in the past month. It comes up when you click the bidder number. It is also possible to see if the bidder had bid on anything in the past from the same seller. Only auctions that are over $200 have the Bidder 1, 2, 3.

I agree someone had reported you to ebay. I had a similar situation happen with my father bidding on an auction that I had up. There is a rule that family cannot bid on each other's auctions. I pulled my auction and blocked him, told him not to bid on my auction and relisted. I know it sounds harsh, but I didn't want to be suspended and I didn't want my other customers to suspect me of dishonesty.

But if this is the first time your sister bid on one of your auctions then it shouldn't be enough evidence for ebay to suspend you. Ebay actually stinks at punishing shillers. They usually don't do anything unless there is so much proof that they can't get away with doing nothing. Shillers are good for ebay, the higher the amount, the more ebay fees.

I think anyone who is genuinely shill bidding should have their account closed for good. It is a disgusting practice & extremely unfair to the bidder.
A seller asked an ebay aquaintance of mine to place a shill bid for her of course she didn't do it, imagine my horror when I heard this story I had actually purchased an item from that seller so no doubt I paid well over what the price should have been!

You may have done.....or you may have paid about what it was worth (and/or the minimum the seller was prepared to take for it).

I think there are at least three levels of shill bidder:

The first and worst kind will, intentionally, nibble the price up, until they have just overtaken your maximum bid and then they will offer you a second chance offer, due to the supposed 'winner' being a non NPB. If you accept that offer, unless your maximum bid was exactly what the item was worth, you will almost certainly end up paying over the odds. :sad:

The second kind just use shill bidding as a preventative measure (like a free reserve price) and will shill bid auctions up to the minimum they are prepared to receive, to avoid an item selling at their, ridiculously low, starting price. But, if they happen to outbid you by doing this, they will not offer you a second chance offer; because, even though they are breaking the law by shill bidding, they do not view themselves as criminals.

The third kind fall somewhere in between. They will not, intentionally, set out to uncover your maximum bid, by nibbling up the price, like the first kind do; but they will bid the amount they want to receive, in one go. If, by doing so, they happen to outbid you and your maximum bid is over their minimum acceptable amount, they may offer you a second chance offer.

So, although shill bidding, of any kind, is illegal, I think it is easier to forgive the second kind of shill bidder, as if you start your auction at the minimum you are prepared to receive (against all the advice of eBay, who constantly recommend that you lower the starting bid, to draw more interest); you always seem to get far less interest than all of the shill bidding sellers who start their auctions at a ridiculously low amounts. :shrugs:

I totally agree that anyone caught doing it should be banned from eBay for life and probably arrested, too(!), though. Because if all the shill bidders were banned, regardless of how extreme they are; every seller would be forced to start their auction at the, genuine, lowest price they are prepared to receive for the item and buyers wouldn't have any phony, low starting bids to be tempted by. :biggrin: