Suspected Fake............Should I ask?

I would not say anything mainly because it is not the right to do so - as long as you are not carrying it, no worries. Her husband imo is not great either, for him to say he "hates his wife" he should grow a backbone. He sounds horrid.x

You probably know its fake you've been on this forum for so long, so what if it is, is it going to make her feel better by pointing out that is is fake. You've already said she has self esteem issues and that most likely is why she got the bag, and you've talked to hear about it and how you want a Birkin.

You may lose her as a friend, you may lose your husband's business partner, but you already know in your heart that its most likely not authentic.

Go with your gut feeling.
I know you are a classy lady, Koli.
Just keep saving, get your Birkin and you'll see when you get yours you'll know yours is authentic.
You'll get your day Koli! And you'll know you got a real one, just hang in there.
If you must touch it, and do your sniff test.

Thanks Elizabethk, you are such a sweetheart! I guess this is just one of those situations where I have to shut up...even though I don't want to!

I hate how I see everyone carrying fake bags and it makes me so mad that 1. They don't understand the implications of doing so, and 2. They don't realize how stupid they look.

Carrying around a fake Gucci or LV bag is one thing, as I know you all will agree (because it's so easy to tell them apart). I actually feel sorry for people like this, but when it's someone I know, it really irks me.

Pacifying yourself with fake designer goods because you are unhappy in your life is just sad. I happen to think that's why people buy fakes in the first place. I am just waiting for the day when I can get a REAL Birkin and carry it around with pride, especially in front of her.

Hopefully that day will be sooner than later!

Thanks everyone!

I havent read all the replies on this thread but I will say one thing. Dont even touch the subject. Women love nothing more than to feud over HANDBAGS. This is from experience. lol.

If you do want to acknowledge the bag, however, you could say "OMG, you did it, you took the plunge" and wait to hear what she says. Maybe she will fess up, maybe she will say its real. I wouldnt challenge her about it though.

the way I have approached this situation is by asking the person out to lunch near an Hermes store after lunch casually walk into the store and let thing happen as they may.
I have a friend that carries fake bags. her boyfriend is an architect and has a very good job so most don't ? the bags Cretin things don't add up like the metals are cheep and stitching is poor.
Well we were hanging out at the coffebean off Rodeo and I said lets walk around so in talking and going on about her wealth and jewelery I've never seen we walked right into Gucci. The bag on her arm was actually still on sale and I asked to see it in a different color. I put the real next to the fake and well I never heard the My new Gucci bag comment come out of her mouth again. I didn't even have to say a word or confront her.Now I know this was mean but we all have frienamies and this one needed a fix and so she got one. We have to be in each others' lives because or boyfriends are really good childhood friends. I thought you could try it if you want to some how let her know you suspect? Let me know what you do.

You know, I'm really torn on this subject because while generally TPF'ers (including me) are really incensed and have no problem reporting sellers of fake bags, we tend to shy away from confronting people who carry fakes (whose demand increases the proliferation of fake sellers). I've never understood this...to me those who knowingly purchase fakes should be just as accountable as those who sell them. JMO...some people may disagree.

Perhaps it's just considered bad etiquette...I posted about gently questioning a lady once who ultimately told me her bag was fake, but several PF'ers weren't happy with me doing it. Several more thought it was great.

So by not doing anything, are we passively condoning those who carry fakes for the sake of being polite? I know this is heavy, but it reminds me of MLK Jr.'s quote of "He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it." I'm not trying to stir up a huge debate...but this is a big ethical dilemma for me. I admit I see people in the mall, etc. carrying fakes and I don't say a word, only if someone is bragging to me about their fake bag do I even address it.

Ok, this is heavy thinking for 5:30am...I need more coffee.:hrmm:

RollinsBand makes good points, truly.

HOWEVER, this is not a snarky coworker or a stranger with a cell phone at the table next to you. It's your husbands business partner. The work they do together affects your life, your DH, and their life. So, in this instance, passivity is key.

I can see why you asked about it. I can tell, it's happened to me. Sometimes, to get a leg up on fashion or the one-upping game, women will try to set the next bar with a fake bag. A bar you are unwilling to match (if you even worry about such a thing) because you would not stoop to the level of buying a fake. However, with an elusive and expensive item, you can't "share her joy" because you have taken the honourable route, by not buying a fake. So she may (and usually seem to always) goad you a little with her new prize. Whether it's to try to feel somehow superior, or justify her fake bag when you give up and buy one too (not that you would), either way it's a little sad.

Back to my original point... the best thing to avoid the issue. I'd bring along a fabulous bag with a sweet story (like DH gave me this on our 5th annie by the lake!) and emphasize the sweetness of it, so she understands you are not in contest.

Take the high road. The view is always better :flowers:

imho, i will ignore her "hermes" bag & just let her be - i dont see what satisfaction/gain/gloat you will get from knowing its fake/or if its really auth...

its just a bag, really... :biggrin:

Wow, thanks everyone, especially Allegory, Rollinsband, and Angelfish.

I honestly don't think I could ever have the guts to confront her and let her know the real story behind fakes. Most likely, others know the bag is fake too and I'm not willing to risk the business relationship just to get some personal satisfaction.

I appreciate all of the advice, feedback, and personal stories.

Thank you all so much!

It is always good to vent with people in a safe place. I'm glad you found us to share you'll get your moment. People like her always find that one stranger that gets them good and in public.I hope you are there for the show.