Food Surviving the Craving

KittyBag

Settling in...
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
I thought we could put down our thoughts about how we deal with, avoid, or give into our cravings... and maybe how we find that 5 seconds of self control (I know it's in there!)

I'll go first...

The last 2 days I have been having a major chocolate sweet tooth attach after lunch. It doesn't help that I have been reading through the Candy and Nutella threads in here! :sweatdrop:

Yesterday, I had money in my hand and was about to go get something (maybe Reeses PB cups) and then decided to try and eat my granny smith apple and a cup of tea. I promised myself if that didn't work that I would go get the chocolate. Sure enough the apple and tea was enough to distract me for 30 mins or so... and by then the craving wasn't so important.

Same thing happened again today (darn Chocolate fairy calling me!)... today I fixed it by eating two oranges... something calming about peeling them and pulling the wedges apart!! Plus.. wowie I feel full now! I'm normally not this strong willed, but I think the rain is helping since I would have to walk in the rain to go get something sweet.

How about you?

If I'm craving something sweet I try fruit first also. Sometimes a yogurt or granola bar. I also usually have Del Monte 'no sugar added' mandarin orange cups on hand. If I'm just craving sweet and I'm not hungry, these really work. If I'm really craving chocolate I'll get the smallest Dove dark chocolate bar I can find or a Ghiradelli square if I'm going to be near the few places that sell it by the square. If I'm craving salty, popcorn usually works. Great thread!

I'm trying not to succumb to a craving for a Starbucks frappuccino, but it's driving me a bit nuts so I'm going to have to give in when son has gone to school hehe. Some cravings I can delay (like the Starbucks since I have to go out to get it) but other cravings I just give in particularly when it's in the house.

i remind myself of the calories i can save if i don't cave into temptation. other times, i'll tell myself to wait till a certain day (maybe 3 days or even till next week) to eat whatever i'm craving, and by that time, i usually don't want it anymore.

If I'm craving chocolate I just eat a little really, really good quality semi-sweet or dark chocolate. Only 2 squares of it will satisfy my craving, whereas crummy chocolate just leaves me feeling guilty.

Brands I like are Noi Sirius (awesome flavor) and Green and Black's.

For salty I love sea salt pita chips.

^ Yes, popcorn and pita chips are good for a salty craving! I need to find a place that just sells the single serve small squares of chocolate.

So, today I am craving chocolate and cinnamon rolls... ugg! I know it's totally not what I need at 10:30 in the morning. I decided to drink a bunch of water to feel more full and then I put on a guava flavored lipgloss (wetslicks fruit spritzers by cover girl) to see if I can trick my brain into thinking that I ate something. I'll let you know if it works.

(mind you I had a good size breakfest of Kashi cereal and 2% milk... so I'm not hungry.. but I think I am bored here at work and so brain is saying eat something to fill the boredom.)

I try not to buy things I like - as crazy as that sounds. I have 3 kids so usually when I am having a craving (always at night) I can't just go out and get it. If I kept chocolate in the house I would eat it every night. Sometimes a spoonful of peanut butter will ward off a craving. Also, a cup of coffee with fat free coffee mate helps.