Super high threadcount sheets?

Pursegrrl

Oh no she di-int!!
O.G.
Jun 1, 2006
OK, I know we all need to spoil ourselves with the best of the best, right? We spend 1/3 of our lives asleep so why not make it fabulous??

Well, I've gotten rid of some very old worn out sheets and am looking at some serious upgrades but I wonder...are 1000+ threadcount sheets worth it compared to 300 or 500+? Most of my sheets are 300 thread count + which are amazing and worth every penny.

I just can't fathom the idea of paying $500+ for an Italian-made 1000+ threadcount sheet, but I'm sure they are incredible?

Any thoughts here? TIA! :flowers:

I've heard it go either way. For some of the super high thread counts, you have to get them ironed before they go back on the bed or they wrinkle or are stiff?

I've discovered that i prefer regular egyptian or pima cotton sheets WITHOUT being in that sateen weave. I'm okay with 300-400tc, though i've some ralph lauren cotten sheets that are 220tc, and they just keep getting better everytime they go thru the wash.

My SA at Yves Delorme said that those really high count thread sheets aren't really what they are advertised to be. She said that once you get past 500 or so you really aren't getting anything. The numbers sound high, ut depending on how the sheets are made, some 200 thread count sheets are better than a 1000 thread count. It was confusing the way she explained, but since then I have seen numerous articles on that confirming what she was saying. If you google it, I'm sure you would find out information.

if you are near a marshall's or tj maxx you can often find the high thread counts at great prices. i do buy them and like then. they do seem to wrinkle more but that is not a problem to me, as they are not seen in the light of day as the coverlet, quilt or spread will hide the wrinkles.

My experience is that anything over 500tc is heavy and hot. Higher thread count sheets just don't allow enough air flow. I've gone up to 1000tc, but now know to stick with 3-500 thread count for soft, breathable sheets.

D, go to Peacock Alley adn they'll edumacate you on it. There's subtle differences and if you don't know exactly which keywordds to look for you'll likely get the wrong thing.
It's the type of cotton and the way the weave it I think.

I've always bought nicer sheets but splurged on Peacock Alley ones for Christmas and they're superior than my others for sure. They have great sales, I bought a king sheet set and 4 cases under $500.

To keep them from wrinkling, pull them out just before they're baked. Don't overdry them, pull them out and snap them then fold or put them right on the bed.

The weight of these sheets are really comforting. . . I can't explain it.

My sheets are somewhere around the 280 mark which is fine for me. But I'm a huge fan of Calvin Klein bedding, so I usually buy a whole set that matches at once. Now I'm eyeing the the style "Acacia."

Read the label really well on the higher thread count sheets. I don't remember the exact details, but a woman sued one of the bigger chain stores because they were labelling sheets as 500 or higher thread count but using 2-ply threads. So the thread count really should have been 250.

I found a link to the original article:
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/living/s_553803.html?source=rss&feed=6