Super high threadcount sheets?

I'd say that it really has more to do with the quality of the threads themselves than with the thread count... anything over about 300 is good, but beware of high thread count bargain sheets... often the threads that are woven to make the sheets are composed of lower quality, shorter fibers... and after a few washings, some of those fibers break and create a pilling effect on your sheets!!! Yuck! I had it happen to me with a set of 500 TCs... they seemed like such a bargain when I bought them, but they certainly were not... I threw them away after about four washings!

I recently bought a fantastic set of 400 TC Ralph Lauren's at the RL outlet. Love them. My last set of RL sheets lasted 6 1/2 years... they were a wedding gift and we just retired them!

I've discovered that i prefer regular egyptian or pima cotton sheets WITHOUT being in that sateen weave.

I totally agree! the sateen ruins everything!!
I stay between 500 and 700, and haven't had a bad set yet. Most of mine do come from Winners, like a TJMaxx.
But linens in general are way cheaper in the states than in canada!

Consumer Reports also wrote in a review of sheets that your return on comfort for price drops dramatically once you get to 400TC, they basically said anything over that is wasting your money.

My SA at Yves Delorme said that those really high count thread sheets aren't really what they are advertised to be. She said that once you get past 500 or so you really aren't getting anything. The numbers sound high, ut depending on how the sheets are made, some 200 thread count sheets are better than a 1000 thread count.

She's 100% right :yes: Many of the label X brands that have 500-1,000 TC are actually acheived as a result of "creative math" or in other words a flat-out lie. Most of the well-known or designer brands (even if they have a lower TC) are going to be better quality and softer.

for me 250 threadcounts are slightly rough, Egyptians silk is about 800 threadcount..

In order top feel comfortable, i think it should be at least 400 thradcount to feel 'oh-so-soft' lol

I can't go above 500TC. I have 800 TC sheets but they are too heavy for me, I can't imagine what 1000TC sheets must be like. I don't know if this is true or not but someone once told me that the higher the thread count, the more dust mites you are sleeping with. The same person told me not to go to sleep with wet hair because dust mites get thirsty and will be attracted to you.:shrugs:

My SA at Yves Delorme said that those really high count thread sheets aren't really what they are advertised to be. She said that once you get past 500 or so you really aren't getting anything. The numbers sound high, ut depending on how the sheets are made, some 200 thread count sheets are better than a 1000 thread count. It was confusing the way she explained, but since then I have seen numerous articles on that confirming what she was saying. If you google it, I'm sure you would find out information.

LOL I used to work at Yves Delorme, which was maybe 3 years ago.

But yes I believe thread count and the weaves do make a difference. It's not really that when you get past 500 it doesn't matter, what it is is an advertising trick. The way most 1000+ tc sheets are made usually is equivalent to a high end 500 tc sheet. Also when picking cotton do go with egyptian, as this is the highest quality cotton. Also there is percale and sateen (both cotton), which is the weave style. I personally like sateen, but it's true it is more work, they wrinkle easier after cleaning, so most do require ironing. But lazy me I never do this, I throw it back on the bed and in about a couple days it'll straighten itself out. However it is softer and does have a shine to it. As far as percale goes, after washing it it does sometimes come out a little rougher, but that's when you want to go with a higher tc.

I would recommend actually going in the store and touching the difference between all the different types there are.

I think it's worth the extra expense to have nicer sheets. I go by the touch test rather than strictly following thread count. I'm on a very strict budget so I hit the Yves Delorme outlet a few times a year. Their sheets are to die for and the outlet prices makes them somewhat attainable. In fact they are having a sale soon. There is one in Woodburn, Oregon.

But... if price were no object, I would try the Manrico cashmere sheets which start at a mere $5,200 for a king set. :supacool::sweatdrop:

I think it depends a lot on the brand and personal preference. I have one pair of Sheridan ( Aus brand, don't think they are overseas) 1000 count Egyptian cotton and they are lovely. Hardly any creases and they have a nice sheen that makes them look like silk. These are my favourite sheets!

OK, I know we all need to spoil ourselves with the best of the best, right? We spend 1/3 of our lives asleep so why not make it fabulous??

Well, I've gotten rid of some very old worn out sheets and am looking at some serious upgrades but I wonder...are 1000+ threadcount sheets worth it compared to 300 or 500+? Most of my sheets are 300 thread count + which are amazing and worth every penny.

I just can't fathom the idea of paying $500+ for an Italian-made 1000+ threadcount sheet, but I'm sure they are incredible?

Any thoughts here? TIA! :flowers:

You don't have to pay $500 for 1000 tc sheets. I got some great 1000 tc white sheets at BJs for ~$100.