Super cute shoes that KILL my toes - help!

cupcake

O.G.
May 5, 2006
I am usually pretty resourceful when it comes to fixing things and making them work for me but I am out of ideas. I recently ordered two pairs of shoes online in the same style (different colors) and I am in love with how they look. However, the strap across the toes rubs and I can't figure out a way to keep them from hurting. I really want to keep these shoes and make them work because I love the style.

I tried lining the entire toe strap with moleskin and I have tried band-aids on my toes. Neither worked. Any brilliant ideas out there?

Thank you!!

2yjyaso.jpg

My top suggestion is honestly to return them -- nothing is worse than shoes that you can't wear without being in pain, and a pair of block heel sandals should be comfortable. You might be able to find another pair of shoes in the same style that better fits your foot, from a different brand.

If you're set on keeping them, though, the hairdryer-and-socks method might help you stretch out the front leather, assuming the issue is that the toe-strap is too tight. Unfortunately, the issue might also be that the arch doesn't properly fit your foot, so your foot is being pushed down into the front of the shoe -- you might be able to use Foot Petals to keep your foot from slipping forward, but I'd still recommend returning if they're causing you pain.

Reactions: all7s
Oh man... Toes is a hard task. What I usually do for closed toed shoes is I used medical tape and wrap a thin strip around my toes. Obviously with an open toe and sandal makes it a little more difficult. But if you get the clear medical tape, could work! I found this the best method for me because its the abrasion that makes it so painful.

I knew a girl who swore by putting Chapstick on her feet to ease the friction. I've never tried it and I would recommend testing a dab on an inconspicuous spot on the shoe in case it stains the leather.

I'm also with "return them". Having ruined my feet (seriously-5 foot surgeries with a possible 6th in my future) in the name of fashion, I beg all of you younger gals to be very cautious about what you wear as it will come back to haunt you as a senior. Keep the crazy stilettos for occasion dressing only. Those sandals on the other hand, are supposed to be comfortable and to suffer for a chunky walking summer sandal is nuts in my opinion. But, if you're determined to keep them go buy one of the shoe stretch sprays (I've had success with Meltonian) and spray the heck out of the underside as much as you can and then go get a broom or mop (laughing yet?) and carefully position the top of it under the tight points and whack it a bunch of times with some force on a cement surface so you don't damage floors. Keep changing the position of where the top of the broom is positioned on the strap to get as much stretch as you need, where you need it.

This will work on leather lined shoes-it will not work on anything with a synthetic lining as only the leather will give and stay stretched. Synthetic will bounce back to original shape.

This is the technique traditionally used for lifting a toe box on a closed pump but it should help on a wide strap sandal too. It's an old "shoe dog" retail trick.

There is also another option I can think of but it will be pricey and I personally think it's nuts to put a ton more into Frye's but if you have a good cobbler who can really measure with them on, that strap possibly can be released a tiny bit and re-inserted or just professionally stretched out by him.

I'm assuming that the shoe fits you correctly and that the strap is just a bit too tight on you. Good luck and post back and let us know what worked.

I'm also with "return them". Having ruined my feet (seriously-5 foot surgeries with a possible 6th in my future) in the name of fashion, I beg all of you younger gals to be very cautious about what you wear as it will come back to haunt you as a senior. Keep the crazy stilettos for occasion dressing only. Those sandals on the other hand, are supposed to be comfortable and to suffer for a chunky walking summer sandal is nuts in my opinion. But, if you're determined to keep them go buy one of the shoe stretch sprays (I've had success with Meltonian) and spray the heck out of the underside as much as you can and then go get a broom or mop (laughing yet?) and carefully position the top of it under the tight points and whack it a bunch of times with some force on a cement surface so you don't damage floors. Keep changing the position of where the top of the broom is positioned on the strap to get as much stretch as you need, where you need it.

This will work on leather lined shoes-it will not work on anything with a synthetic lining as only the leather will give and stay stretched. Synthetic will bounce back to original shape.

This is the technique traditionally used for lifting a toe box on a closed pump but it should help on a wide strap sandal too. It's an old "shoe dog" retail trick.

There is also another option I can think of but it will be pricey and I personally think it's nuts to put a ton more into Frye's but if you have a good cobbler who can really measure with them on, that strap possibly can be released a tiny bit and re-inserted or just professionally stretched out by him.

I'm assuming that the shoe fits you correctly and that the strap is just a bit too tight on you. Good luck and post back and let us know what worked.
Shuze well explained ... Omg can I ask what foot surgeries have you had to have ?? Only asking as I'm a avid fashion shoe wearing person and worn heels for many years and my feet are terrible, I'm unsure if I need surgery but it worries me , I'm for ever letting my feet stretch shoes to fit .

Attachments

• 2017-05-05_10-29-00.jpg
    2017-05-05_10-29-00.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 629
Shuze well explained ... Omg can I ask what foot surgeries have you had to have ?? Only asking as I'm a avid fashion shoe wearing person and worn heels for many years and my feet are terrible, I'm unsure if I need surgery but it worries me , I'm for ever letting my feet stretch shoes to fit .

My advice is to never do foot surgery unless you have no choice. Cosmetic foot surgery IMO is nuts-trying to get rid of serious pain is something else and we all need to think about those decisions. My problem was unusual but my feet are now a mess. It started with classic bunion surgery-the right one is OK but very arthritic so I had a second surgery to remove bone spurs.. I had a bone tumor on the left foot that we didn't know about (benign thankfully) and the surgeon used my own removed bone to fill it but I tripped and broke it two weeks out so donor bone was used to fill it in on the second surgery. I rejected it and he kept telling me to give it time but I knew something was wrong. I should have just had a plate put in but another surgeon said that he could grow the bone and stupidly I went for it. I had the most awful painful vice on my foot that had to be cranked to lengthen the bone for months. By the time it was removed I had built a huge mass of hard scar tissue on the top of my left foot-basically a bone spur so I have terrible arthritis and a large knot on the top of foot. To add insult to injury the surgeon removed the crank too early so my big toe is too short (not noticeably) but it caused all the other 4 toes to hammer. Now the decision is whether I should do another surgery surgery to unhammer the toes and remove the lump on top. Aren't you glad you asked LOL?

My advice is to never do foot surgery unless you have no choice. Cosmetic foot surgery IMO is nuts-trying to get rid of serious pain is something else and we all need to think about those decisions. My problem was unusual but my feet are now a mess. It started with classic bunion surgery-the right one is OK but very arthritic so I had a second surgery to remove bone spurs.. I had a bone tumor on the left foot that we didn't know about (benign thankfully) and the surgeon used my own removed bone to fill it but I tripped and broke it two weeks out so donor bone was used to fill it in on the second surgery. I rejected it and he kept telling me to give it time but I knew something was wrong. I should have just had a plate put in but another surgeon said that he could grow the bone and stupidly I went for it. I had the most awful painful vice on my foot that had to be cranked to lengthen the bone for months. By the time it was removed I had built a huge mass of hard scar tissue on the top of my left foot-basically a bone spur so I have terrible arthritis and a large knot on the top of foot. To add insult to injury the surgeon removed the crank too early so my big toe is too short (not noticeably) but it caused all the other 4 toes to hammer. Now the decision is whether I should do another surgery surgery to unhammer the toes and remove the lump on top. Aren't you glad you asked LOL?

Good grief. You poor thing! Sorry you have had to endure all of this.

Reactions: lulilu and shuze
Only asking as I'm a avid fashion shoe wearing person and worn heels for many years and my feet are terrible, I'm unsure if I need surgery but it worries me , I'm for ever letting my feet stretch shoes to fit .
I very rarely wear heels and I still have this. Don't blame fashion, it's genetical, runs in the family. All women in my mum's family have that. And now I see the early stages in my daughter who mostly wears school shoes and no heels.

I very rarely wear heels and I still have this. Don't blame fashion, it's genetical, runs in the family. All women in my mum's family have that. And now I see the early stages in my daughter who mostly wears school shoes and no heels.

I agree that there can be a genetic link but for many women they're caused by wearing high heels that are too narrow. Mine were. I spent my twenties and 30s working all day in pointy stilettos and that did it for me. My mom didn't have them. A high heel forces a lot of pressure on the front of the foot but a too narrow flat will cause problems too. My bunions were definitely caused by the shoes I wore.

Reactions: all7s
Shuze ... Omg the way you explained about your foot surgery in never going to have any think done to my feet !
I hate when shoes fit so bad when there new, I think if you get used to shoes that are quite tight and rub on the toes in time your feet kind of harden up to it.
I have bunions and hammerd toes and no one in my family's history I know to has had bunions etc , I do wonder if it is high heel fashion shoes that caused my bunions ?