Super comfy flats at home, killers in real life. Is it just me?

rainyjewels

eat me
O.G.
Nov 8, 2006
So recently I've given up on heels and instead turned to flats. After trying many on, I thought I found the perfect one - Tods Dee Buckle Ballerina Flats

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...1408474399545537&bmUID=1208272829818&ev19=1:5

They were super comfy when I tried them on. I even walked all around on the carpet to make sure. Yesterday, I wore them to work and simply the commute to, on, and from the subway killed my feet. KILLED. What I loved most about these flats - the fact that they were so flexible that I felt like I was barely wearing shoes - made me feel like I was walking barefoot on NYC sidewalk concrete. With each step I felt like I was killing my heels and killing my back. It felt like I had zero support down there.

Is this just me? Am I a total freak? Aren't flats supposed to be super comfy? How can they be comfy and bendy and conform to your feet when that's the very thing that makes you feel like you're walking barefoot on concrete? I'm about to give up on flats - maybe try small wedge heels or something...but wanted to see what all your experiences were.....maybe I'm doing something wrong?:hysteric:

ItsMyWorld

Dec 28, 2006
USA
I'm really the same way with flats. I can't really wear them. I only have 2 pairs but they aren't worn much. I can walk around the city in heels more easily than most ballet flats... though I will say that my Uggs are probably the most comfortable shoes I own and I can walk far in those even though they're flats however they're unattractive so...

It isn't just you. I think flats are ridiculously uncomfortable to really do any serious walking.

meightry

Sep 18, 2007
I've found that Lanvin flats have a bit of cushioning in the heels. It really makes a difference in walking long distances. I would definitely give lanvin ballet flats a try.

frozendiva

Feb 20, 2008
The Great White North
Depends on the flat and what you're using it for. It's buyer beware. Many flats are just like walking on cardboard. Some are made for walking, some are made for sitting at your desk.

RRSC

Jan 25, 2008
LA
rainy: I have those same flats in burgundy and yes I know exactly what you mean! I bought them in hong kong and wore them while I was in asia and I thought I was going to die! The surfaces and streets are very uneven and I could feel everything. However back in LA they are very comfortable as long as the concrete is smooth and since I don't walk much here. :yes:

Chi town Chanel

Meow!
O.G.
Dec 18, 2007
the Mothership
Those Tod's are really cute. I have never tried them though. I have lots of other flats (for city walking) and I don't have any problems. Maybe these particular Tod's are just thin on the bottom? If you can't return them, try adding some insoles to provide an additional barrier between your foot and the pavement. That might create additional cushion and save your poor tootsies. I'm really sorry because those are ultra cute flats!

Charlie

O.G.
Apr 28, 2007
They are so cute, too bad they killed your feet. Maybe you need to break them in?

elle tee

Dec 6, 2006
nyc
A lot of my ballet flats have thin soles and it can get rough walking on them all day in NYC (especially on the cobblestone streets in my neighborhood, ouch!). I do find, though, that sticking the FootPetals "Killer Kushionz" (I think those are the ones, they are full-length) or some other full-shoe insert makes it a lot better.

Varied_obsessions

Because I said so
O.G.
May 7, 2006
I can only wear flats. Lanvin, Miu Miu, Sigerson Morrison, Tory Burch. I'm thinking that you need to add an insole for support. My MIL can't wear flats at all w/o pain. Her doc told her that after years of wearing only heels, her tendon had shortened. Pain. I bought her Miu Miu's and added an insole(she also has high arches) and she's been able to wear them without problem.

cakelover

O.G.
Jul 13, 2006
Yes I think some ballerina flats are "too flat", as in the whole sole is completely flat. They don't provide enough cushion for the raised/arch part in the middle of the feet... so after long periods of walking, the middle part of my feet feels really sore.. haha not sure if i'm making sense here :confused1:

Jun 26, 2007
This is exactly why I can't ballet flats. My feet just hurt so much in them - it's like i can feel every speck of gravel, every imperfection in the ground when I walk! It's agony.

For flats, I stick with leather drivers or mocassin type shoes. Tods, Cole Haan, Tory Burch and Kate Spade make reallyy cute leather drivers that are VERY comfortable. They definetely offer wayy more support because they have an actual footbed and sole.

pooh1001a

O.G.
Mar 25, 2008
i honesty feel when you trade heels for flats you're just trading one type of pain for another :P i've had flats where the soles are so thin, you feel every agonizing pebble, but others that have regular soles, bu after wearing them for a few hours my feet are killin me! maybe it't the lack of arch support, but i have pretty flat arches...

spaceyjacy

fashion ruckus
O.G.
Dec 4, 2007
Planet Spacejace
I wear flats a lot(4-6 times a week) and I am usually pretty happy in them. I have to say though, I have never bought a pair like those that have the elastic in the heel. I think it can often indicate that the shoes are too flimsy.
ITA: put a really good insole in those babies and you should be good to go:tup:.