Super black nail polish

ByeKitty

Literally amazing!
May 8, 2010
Back in 2006, when Chanel brought out Black Satin and the black nail polish craze had its start, I used to wear a plain black on my nails sporadically. Perhaps I would’ve worn black nail polish all the time if my skills were as good as they are these days.

Since the true black kind of faded into obscurity, I found myself wearing off-blacks a lot, or blacks with a reddish of blue-ish sheen. Anything vampy, as long as it wasn’t a true black. Because a true black was “flat” and somewhat “boring” in my book…

For the past weeks though, I’ve noticed a certain longing for the simplicity of a true, jet-black manicure. I guess I’m getting a little tired of the dozens of off-blacks that often look similar, but are never as intense as a real black.
I bought a black polish by Diamond Cosmetics to try it out once again, since my old black polish is in a tragic state… :lol:

Am I alone here?

I've never worn just black on my nails. I just can't pull it off. And my nails are usually a bit too long for it (so I've been told) BUT, I did accidentally stumble on a true deep shiny black before I went cruelty-free and honestly I use it a LOT as a base for layering, etc. Sally Hansen Hard as Nails. No "almost" about it. It's BLACK.

But on my skin tone, anything vampy reads black on me unless I'm in just the right light.

I love black! A true, deep, dark, ultra shiny black! I just got Essie Licorice a few days ago but haven't tried it yet. It looks great in the bottle. I am also waiting for Gelish Black Shadow to come, since my main mani foundation is Gelish. I'll let you know how both of those turn out.

I'm a big fan of glossy black polish & probably do a black mani once a month. ByeKitty, you put it well-- there's something about the simplicity of a true black that draws me in. After wearing a lot of color, some folks "cleanse the palette" with a serene neutral, but I reach for black.

Blacks in my Rotation:
-Chanel Black Satin is gorgeous, but it doesn't wear long on my nails.
-Zoya Raven is a great, true black. 2 coats for opacity on me.
-China Glaze liquid leather has a fab glossy finish, but it is slooooow to dry. 3 coater for me.
-Essie Licorice leans slightly warm on my skin. If you're not used to Essie, it has a smallish brush that folks tend to either really like or hate. 2 coats.

-For soak-off-gel polish, I highly recommend Orly Fx Liquid Vinyl (great application & doesn't shrink after curing, which is a problem w/many dark SOGs)

Good luck on your search!

I love black! A true, deep, dark, ultra shiny black! I just got Essie Licorice a few days ago but haven't tried it yet. It looks great in the bottle. I am also waiting for Gelish Black Shadow to come, since my main mani foundation is Gelish. I'll let you know how both of those turn out.

I'm a big fan of glossy black polish & probably do a black mani once a month. I love how Chanel Black Satin looks, but it doesn't wear long on my nails. Zoya Raven is a great, true black. My favorite black is China Glaze liquid leather, but it is slooooow to dry. I also enjoy Essie Licorice, which leans slightly warm on my skin. If you're not used to Essie, it has a smallish brush that folks tend to either really like or hate.

If you're into soak-off-gel polish, I highly recommend Orly Fx Liquid Vinyl (great application & doesn't shrink after curing, which is a problem w/many dark SOGs)

Good luck on your search!

Thanks both!! :smile:

I'm tempted to do a black mani tonight with my Essie Licorice. If I do, I'll post a pic tomorrow after the sun comes up. I like to use sunlight for pics to get a good look at the color.

I prefer the old Wet n Wild Creme Black!

In high school I only owned that colour and a dark red that I alternated between. I used to do all black most of the time, and then on "special occasions" re: my parents said black wasn't appropriate, I wore the red LOL!! I wonder if they still make it? I was looking through my stash tonight and realized I don't own a black nail polish for under the flake-y finger paints polish I just bought!!!

In high school I only owned that colour and a dark red that I alternated between. I used to do all black most of the time, and then on "special occasions" re: my parents said black wasn't appropriate, I wore the red LOL!! I wonder if they still make it? I was looking through my stash tonight and realized I don't own a black nail polish for under the flake-y finger paints polish I just bought!!!

That's why I bought the Black WnW! I got it at Rite-aid .99 cents!

I am dark nail color gal, but never really owned a straight on pure black creme. Finally pick-up a couple during Halloween so I can use for layering. Both are Wet n Wild - Wild Shine Black Creme, and Fast Dry Inkwell. Can I tell you how much I love just plain black creme now? Don't know why I waited so long. It great for layering, but also to wear alone.

That's why I bought the Black WnW! I got it at Rite-aid .99 cents!

I have no business buying another black creme, but you've sold me. Must try this out. I remember reading Scrangie saying WnW is pretty durable, so I'm doubly shocked at the price. Yay!

Totally unrelated -- squee!! you have the cutest kitty pics in your sig & blog! I'm owned by two Himalayan girls who like to hide my mini polishes :smile: