Sunshine committee Sept/Oct project for the holidays.

Fabulous Mary!!!!

Oh and as a tip for people: Try to cram those priority mail 'Flat Rate' boxes to ship the heavy stuff!!!!! Potentially breakable (or could be crushed food stuff) I'll be sending in a different box!

Mary: Could you describe a typical box for us (the ones you actually send out?

I think that'll help me visualize more what the soldiers are getting!

Fabulous Mary!!!!

Oh and as a tip for people: Try to cram those priority mail 'Flat Rate' boxes to ship the heavy stuff!!!!! Potentially breakable (or could be crushed food stuff) I'll be sending in a different box!

Mary: Could you describe a typical box for us (the ones you actually send out?

I think that'll help me visualize more what the soldiers are getting!

Yes, do use the flat rate box for anything heavy, there are 2 sizes a flat on and deeper one. I find the deeper ones work well.

I try and balance the boxes out pretty well, also I obviously label for men or women.

A typical box for each male soldier contains: at least 2 -3 items of 'comfort' food (soup, chili, hamburger helper, mac-n-cheese, etc), 2-3 items salty snack (chips, crackers, etc) and 2-3 items something sweet (cookies, candy, etc). 1-2 itmes personal care item (deodorant, toothpaste, Q-tips, razor, lotion, etc), 1-2 'extras' socks, a dvd, video game, something to read (a magazine or book), and note cards or christmas cards.

A female soldiers box is usually pretty close, but I make the personal care stuff girly, and often inlude hair bands or sticks.

I will take pics next week when I build some more.

***the dvds, video games, books and mags are often used...they are more than ok with that, as they share them and swap them around, as you can imagine.

:idea: For those of you still sending contributions, I just had a thought halloween candy will work great!

Also, just want to be clear...I don't expect you to build a whole box....of course you can, but don't need to. Any contribution will be great, I will fill in any holes and mix and match as needed .

Thanks, again!

Is it too late to participate? I'd like to send some things to you. I might order something online and just send them to you. Maybe a bunch of holiday cards or candy. Thanks

Is it too late to participate? I'd like to send some things to you. I might order something online and just send them to you. Maybe a bunch of holiday cards or candy. Thanks

Thanks! That works fabulously! Contributions have been a little slow, but I know there is still time and people have been together things :smile: I am still optomistic we can do 100 boxes :smile:

i just spotted this project today, but i'd love to help! i have tons of mags to send to female soldiers, and i'll head out to get snacks and chap stick and anything else on the list that i can find.

just thinking about the war ticks me off, but hearing about these soldiers over there without body armor, with worn-through boots....oy vey! we need to do something!

Hi all! I just got a PM from a member who thought to participate she had to send 100 of one thing, so I am sorry if I have been confusing...

I am putting together 100 boxes, people are sending in any contributions that suit them...this and that and I will sort everything and fill in any wholes and my husband's company is paying the shipping to get the boxes to the soldiers:smile:

So far 10 done and 90 to go :smile:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :smile:

:crybaby:

Reading just bits of Mary's post made me cry. My DH was in the Marine Corps and went to Iraq in 2003 and then again in 2004.

I will definitely be sending you some care items as we have been living a civil life for the past two years and our military lifestyle has somewhat become an echo in our memories.

God Bless our military families- esp. those here on tPF-

:flowers:

this brings me back to a time when I had no idea what purses were about. my goal was to stay sane and raise our baby while he was away.

ok- :crybaby: sometimes I still deal with the residual stress from those times he was deployed. but - thank GOD he came home safe.

I mailed 5 boxes last week and 3 are going out today. Is your post office going to be mad at all of us, Mary?? Those flat rate boxes can get very heavy.

Thanks so much!

It is a pretty small PO, there are only 2 -3 people who usually deal with the PO box's (and the package P/Us), and it is almost the same girl everytime I go, so I warned her about the project...when I told her it was for the soldiers she smiled and said no problem at all...and she would keep an eye out for them :smile:

Thanks to everyone who has been sending stuff in. I have only got emanu1016 and passerby's boxes so far, but many people pm'ed me or e-mailed me to let me know they were on their way :smile:

I will be sure to update people as to what we are short on, for those who still want to send something as the boxes start arriving. One thing I do know we are in need of is more socks. White crew sox. The nurses just e-mailed me and said they are really low, and they like to give all the incoming soldiers at least 2-3 pairs when they are admitted.

Thanks again to everyone :smile: