Sundance and IFC Channel

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have been having a BLAST the past few weeks with some movies that have been coming on. A few I highly recommend.

SNATCH with Brad Pitt and a whole lot of other big names very funny and irreverent.

Sunshine with Ralph Fiennes---Very great movie! about 4 hours, so be prepared, and have your tissue.

Sunshine

The drastic social and political upheaval in Hungary over the past century becomes an inescapable influence on the lives and fortunes of a Jewish family in Budapest. Ralph Fiennes portrays three men from different generations of the family: Ignatz, a lawyer striving to blend with the establishment around the turn of the century; his son, Adam, an Olympic athelete whose focus on his career blinds him to the rise of fascism; and Adam's son, Ivan, a political activist who joins the fight for Communism

Two documentarys

Born into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids is a 2004 American documentary film about the children of prostitutes in Sonagachi, Kolkata's red light district. The widely acclaimed film, written and directed by Zana Briski and Ross Kauffman, won a string of accolades including the Academy Award for Documentary Feature in 2004.[4]

The Glass House
    The Glass House skillfully examines the mostly hidden lives of young women, teetering on the fringes of Iranian society in modern Tehran. Marginalized by their families, these women have found a saving grace in a day center formed by an Iranian expatriate. Marjaneh Halati opened the center to give downtrodden young women a voice, thus empowering them with the life skills they need to succeed on their own. Many of these teens previously spent time in a jail, hospital, or state home because they had no other options. Sussan is 20 years old and suffers from memory loss and a stutter as a result of a blow to the head either from her sigheh (temporary husband) or her abusive brother. Mitra is learning how to avoid confrontation with her father, who takes out his frustration on his 16-year-old daughter. Nazila, 19, finds an outlet for her anguish by recording as a rap singer, which is forbidden by law. The young women see Marjaneh as both a mother figure and a mentor and cherish her frequent visits from London. In superb cinema vérité style spanning 18 months, The Glass House deftly portrays a spirit of hopefulness. These former victims are given the chance to express themselves and transform their difficult circumstances into new beginnings.

2. It's hard to imagine Ralph Fiennes as anyone other than Voldemort! I don't think I could ever take another one of his movies seriously!
    I don't even know what IFC really is (it's an odd channel), but I love it because it has Arrested Development reruns!

3. I actually think he's an extremely talented actor and the movie above was very touching and gut wrenching. but hey, to each it's own. Like I said, they are just recommendations.

IFC stands for International Film Channel. They show alot of International, documentaries and independent films. You either like them or not.

4. I'm sure it's a good movie, it's just hard to see some actors as characters other than the one you know them as. And does always show TV shows and movies without commercials interspersed? It's so weird/nice!

5. They are both movie channels, not a network channels, so they only show full movies with no commercial interruption.

6. I love both of those channels, and watching the random/unknown movies that I have never heard of. So many good ones are shown. Recently I watched Blame it on Fidel!, which was fantastic. Another one that was shown on IFC that I now love, is Howl's Moving Castle, Christian Bale voices Howl--Love it!

7. I regularly scan these channels to see what's on. Lots of interesting programming on them both.