Sunbeds....Yes or No???

Sunbeds, Yes or no???

• Yes I often top up my tan on a sunbed

• No I would never use these!!

• I've never thought about them as an option, im naturally tanned!

• I'd like to know more about the subject

Results are only viewable after voting.
No way! Too many of my relatives & family friends have had skin cancer. My poor Aunt Liz had to have an inch hole dug in her face to remove all the cancer & then have plastic surgery twice to repair the scarring from the surgery.

I've seen my grandmother's skin all cut and stitched from having skin cancer cells removed. So I'm extremely cautious, but I also love my coloring (or lack there of :P) and wouldn't change it for the world. I'll also be happy in 20 years when I'm not leathery.

My mom has been using Jergens Glow lotions and darkened up a bit.

A lot of Asian women love being pale.

Yes! My aunt is Filipino, and I've been at parties with members of her family who flew in from the Philippines. They are quite well to do, and in their way of life pale is the goal. My uncle nudged me and said that I shouldn't mind any stares, because I have what would be a desirable coloring there. In the summer I was made fun of as a kid, so I got a confidence boost from hearing that.

To each their own, but embrace your own, whatever it is. :smile:

When I was 16, my mom almost died of melanoma. She's fine now(10 years later) but it's really scary. And the worst part is that when I was around 19 or 20 I used to go tanning. Stupid, I know. But now that I'm a mom I realize that I want to be around for my boys and even though I think I look better with a tan, it's not worth taking the chance. Plus I think it's kind of addicting so you're better off if you never do it.

My mom has been using Jergens Glow lotions and darkened up a bit.

I just wanted to say...

JERGENS IS AWESOME.
and tanning beds arent. :P

Some info on Jergens:
I have used many of those sunless tanners, but not seen one half as good as Jergens. I used to use it every day and thats where me and my mom went wrong [YEAH! I EVEN GOT HER TO USE IT. :P] After a while it started to like, flake off if ya know what I mean. If you use it every other day or every 2 days it looks so natural. You dont have to take long to apply. Just when you get out of the shower apply it like normal lotion. Lay [depending on where you applied] or stand in front a fan for 15 minutes [or depending on how much you put on. +lotion = +time.] until you dry and then just get ready like normal. ;] Its a great product, I love it, and you would be surprised on how many compliments I get on my nice tanned legs. ;]
And another thing: my mom hates strong smelling stuff and Jergens isnt strong. The new Firming one has a bit of a fresh smell to it that I like a lot better than the original. ;]

Okay. My 30 second promo is done. hehe!

I used to go to the sunbed once a week until a couple of years ago... I'm too scared of skin cancer and now, whenever I want to look tanned, I just book a spray tan (in a cabine, with a machine talking to you, very funny indeed) and that's it. I'm not risking my health any more for a bit of colour (mind you, I'm really pale, too and I live across the Channel, in Amsterdam LOL)

I just want to point out that the picture above is the result of MANY, MANY years being in the sun, using tanning beds, etc. People shouldn't think that if they spend 1 year hitting the tanning bed once a week and then quit, that they're going to end up like that. It's all about moderation.
Now about skin cancer.. that's a different story. I've heard nightmares about how people visited the tanning bed only once and ended up with skin cancer. It's a risk and people take the chance. I've taken the risk and went to tanning beds before a couple times and I probably will again a few times in the future when winter hits but that's my decision. I don't abuse of the tanning bed.

To be honest I go tanning ont eh tanning bed once in a while like twice a month. If I moisturize and stuff my tan seems to stick around for a few weeks and once I become too pasty looking I take a visit to the tanning salon.

I totally understand how you feel about not wanting to lose taht glow! But it is bound to happen and we just have to accept it :sad: it will come back though!

I hope nobody bashes on me for supporting tanning lol. I really don't do it often.. I go months without tanning a lot.

Just don't start going everyday. And don't forget to wear goggles and use lotions with Aloe Vera to keep the tan going on.

I'm naturally tan, but I would never use anyway! Some girls look so bad and it would be my worst nightmare to have horrible, wrinkled skin when I'm older. A friend of mine in elementary school had a tanning bed in her house. Her parents owned a travel agency and they were always going on cruises. Even SHE tanned as young as 7. Her parents both looked about 60 when they had their 40th birthday party :nuts:.