summer leather cleaning question

oopsididitagain

»â”€â”€â™¥â”€â”€>
O.G.
Feb 5, 2008
Okay I know this sounds kinda gross. Now it's summer here (gets REALLY hot in Nevada) my arm gets sweaty and I'm always hugging my bag close to me and it probably gets salty sweat on the leather. Should I wipe it off each day with a slightly damp rag? Or is there a better method?

actually Im curious as well, nothing worse than a beautiful bag that smells like an armpit!
I have always had long shoulder straps in the past it wasnt a problem, but it may be with my new lunch tote.

I guess what I'm really asking is, is it okay to wipe down a leather bag with a damp (moist with water) cloth whenever I wish? Or is that bad for the leather? I do condition all mine with Apple moisturizer every 2 mos. or so.

Okay, I studied coach.com's frequently asked questions and the only leathers it says that a damp cloth can be used on are pebbled, vaschetta, and patent. So I still didn't know if a damp cloth is okay to use on "regular" leather like my ergos.
I finally got my answer from this website:
http://www.designerhandbags101.com/purses/designer-purse-care.aspx
It says to wipe off leather purses with a clean, moist cloth before applying moisturizers.
I take that to mean any and all leathers, as long as the cloth is lightly damp, why not?

It makes sense not to apply moisturizers on a bag that has dirt (seen or unseen from salty sweat/skin oils) until cleaning it first! Salt/dirt is leather's worst enemies.

So I guess I answered my own question, then! Maybe the tPFers here do not sweat like I do, they "perspire" so this question seemed revolting! hehe

your welcome! yes they all talk and we love visitors! If you lived close to us we (me and my parrots) would say come on over! I have a derbyan that says over 200 words! he is the one in my signature!

What a cutie fine feathered boy he is. I've never seen one like that before! My daughter has tried to no avail to teach her parakeets to talk. They can't say anything.

he is a very rare bird only 153 registered in the us and on the endangered list in tibet where he is from. pssitacula derbiana (dont know if thats spelled right) best way to teach birds to talk is repeat catchy phrases or one word to them while they are covered, either first thing in the morning or at bedtime. parakeets love words like pretty, birdy, baby and hello or hi! use a silly hi pitched voice and say it with great enthusiasm they will learn!

You've really got a rare bird! And gorgeous coloring he has. I told my daughter what you said about how to teach the parakeets and she really listened. She's 13. She loves her parakeets so much that I should get her a parrot. Wish I lived by you and we could have coffee.

oh that would be awesome if you lived closer! if your ever in Colorado we will have to do that! conures are great first time parrots and the blue crown conures talk really well! do you have a myspace acct? I have more pictures of the birds on there! what state do you live in?

I live in Nevada, Las Vegas! Come on over! We tried to re-locate to Colorado three years ago but someone else got the position. I wanted to be where I can go camping & enjoy outdoors more.
I have no myspace. I'll go check your pics!

oh colorado is beautiful, I hope you can make it here one day! we love to camp and hike!^^ Las vegas I would love to go there maybe Ill plan our next vacation there! I have 4 kids and all the outdoor stuff really keeps them busy! my only daughter is 15! my boys are 11,16,and 18 in August!

My DH has an uncle in Colorado. Maybe I can persuade him to go visit that uncle. I couldn't view your myspace birds as I need an acct. We've got 3 kids ages 16,13, and 6. Two boys and a girl. Well let me know if you wanna come over. I like to live in Las Vegas mainly because there's 3 outlets here. lol