Summer jackets, not denim?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm struggling to find a nice, light-weight summer jacket to go with summer maxi dresses and Lilly Pulitzer dresses. I've been wearing my denim jacket constantly, but it's not always appropriate (i.e. for nicer dinners). For some cold restaurants, a cardigan or a wrap just isn't enough to keep me warm. Can anyone recommend a nice summer jacket to wear with dresses?

2. Try linen or bamboo jackets/blazers. I have a few in different styles and always like wearing them in the summer. Especially when the air-con is on high at the office. I work with primarily men and they like it cool. I used to avoid linen because I really dislike wrinkly clothes but some manufacturers include other fibers to lessen the wrinkles.

If you prefer the jean jacket, style, you can find some made from linen. I see a few stores stocking linen and bamboo clothing around here.

3. How about a silk bomber jacket?
    Lots of variation in these (and price range to suit) and many are light weight but quilted and cosy.

4. I think that I may be too old for a silk bomber jacket. What's the age limit? :cool:

5. Haha! I don't think there is an age limit. Mostly I think it has to do with scale and I think they might be too big to wear over a dress. I like the idea of something fitted over the dress even when you have no intention of closing it up. The SA at the store told me that all their pieces have to be washable and that is one of the reasons why I bought the white jacket from aside from the fact that it was so darned cute! You can wash this one too.

6. There is no upper age limit, unless you also think that women are too old to wear their hair long once they reach 40? ;)
    Bombers are just lovely, soft and comfortable unstructured jackets. I love wearing mine with maxi dresses and skirts, jeans and trousers - pretty much anything. I also like my denim jacket and blazers too.

7. [​IMG]

The lovely Lucinda Chambers, fashion director at British Vogue, wearing a a simple bomber with a dress.

8. This is indeed cute! I'm going to try and go to my local store tomorrow and try this one on. :smile:

9. Reading you post I immediately thought of my LBJ. I have a fail-safe jacket from Agnes B, basically a slight-stretch cotton version of this, I wear it anytime, any place and have had it years I couldn't get through Sumer without it and it's perfect for traveling too

http://www.agnesb.fr/femme/manteaux-vestes/veste-dulce-neptune

10. I second that- Agnes b has lovely light jackets. I also have very beautiful ones from majestic filatures. There is a thread on them somewhere. Basically they are cut like a tailored jacket, but they are unlined so light and casual. The fabrics are usually cool, linen/silk/cotton mix.

11. Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really need something for summer evening dinners at the country club and denim just doesn't cut it there.

12. [​IMG]