Sulfate or not to sulfate (shampoo)

ashmi99

Life in the Fab Lane
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
I feel like my hair falls out easily and am trying to figure out the problem. I've read a lot about sulfates in shampoos and how they can irritate the scalp. Has anyone switched to sulfate-free shampoo and noticed a big difference? What brands do guys recommend? Thanks!

I have been looking for shampoos like this as well! I hate sulfates! Ken Pavés's old line (sold in Walgreens in a blue bottle) used to make a shampoo like this and it was luscious.... sadly, I think it has been discontinued because I haven't been able to find it in quite some time. I felt a difference in my hair- it was much softer- although the matching conditioner may have helped as well. Since it is gone, I have gone back to normal moisturising shampoo. I can't say that my hair feels much worse now.

My daughter was constantly fighting a slightly flaky scalp. I had tried every dandruff shampoo, scalp treatment shampoo and home remedy I could find. Then I read that some people are sensitive to sulfates. Switched her to sulfate free and problem totally solved. I bought it at a health food store and I'm drawing a blank on the name right now. I was trying to go sulfate free myself to preserve my color but I didn't personally like it because there was hardly any lather. In the past I've tried Alterna and didn't care for it for the same reason. Then I discovered Pureology and I am in love. I've read mixed reviews on it here at TPF but it gets amazing reviews on MUA. I'm using the nanoworks and my daughter is using the hydrating.

WEN by chaz dean is the best. I have been using it for months and my hair is perfect. My kids and hubby have sensitive skin and daughter is allergic to sulfate. Once they started to use this product they have had no skin problems.

The C-System range by MOP is completely sulphate-free. Their other hair ranges have some sulphates in them that are derived naturally from palm oil rather than petroleum (whether that makes a difference result-wise, I don't know).

ETA: Dr Hauschka and a German firm call Logona also do sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner ranges.

Last edited:
Yes, I use sulfate-free shampoos exclusively. My favorites are Terax Collagene, Healthy Sexy Hair Chocolate Soy Milk Shampoo, and Brocato Splassh.

ShiKai works wonders for me They have a foaming organic alternative for sulphates. Makes my hair soft, moisturized, tame, and flowy.

My hair/scalp CANNOT tolerate any sulfate nor paraben. It will itch and flake regardless. Even Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoos don't do justice. That's a shame though, I can't use Lush as much as I want to, Lush shampoos contain a ton of sulfates and parabens unfortunately :sad:

Hmm I didn't realize that my shampoo has a sulfate listed as the second ingredient after water...makes me want to switch since I do have a somewhat flaky scalp.

I second the WEN recommendation. I have thick, wavy, color-treated hair and the WEN fig works wonders on split-ends and restoring any damage color does to my hair. I think the key to WEN is finding the right formula that works for you and the right amount of product.

I just did a search and Tigi Superstar shampoo and conditioners are sulfate-free. I think I will probably pick some up tomorrow. Also Jonathan Product is sulfate-free.

Abba is really good and a natural line. Healthy Sexy Hair range also makes sulfate-free. Check out natural food stores like Whole Foods because I've seen plenty of products there, too, that are inexpensive.

I just got back from WalGreens and they had a few different brands that were sulfate-free. I'm going to try some of these drugstore brands before shelling out the money for salon stuff. The shampoo I got was by Chemistry Salon Brands and it was $8.